Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential RCF purchase

7 minutes ago, Rompy said:

Had a C63 saloon in 2010 and a coupe in 2014. The later car had the better gearbox. The sound of these on full power is awesome (crackling lightening to a mustang rolling thunder). But, whilst the engine and gearbox are quick and fun, the whole package isn’t so refined as the Lexus. Build quality and after sales are excellent, but the Lexus has the edge on materials and lack of squeaks and rattles. 

Access to the rear is easier in the Lexus, which might be an issue?

Southampton Merc are very good and we enjoyed the experience (buying a E cab and A45 from them as well. We tried to get a C63 507 model last year but they are all thrashed by now. Be careful taking a C63 for a test drive as the learning gearbox can seem poor if it’s been sat for any length of time. It takes a good run to wake up.

Budget for rear tyres every 4 to 6k with a C63 and that’s driving normally. I’m hoping for better from the RCF. However, if running costs are a concern don’t buy! We had to sell the 2010 C63 after 12 months and 22k as we were spending more on that than we could afford  

At least the RCF and C63 don’t run on RF tyres! My summer tyres on the Alfa are around £240 a corner, my 6 series was the same. I have noted the tyres on my potential RCF are from “less established and respected” manufacturers, they’re basically new, but I’d never put cheap rubber on a car, never mind a high performance car. This did get me thinking I must admit, but even if it was tracked, it’s Lexus approved and under warranty.

Hopefully I won’t need to go see a C63. Interesting to hear rear access is better in the RCF, my wife is 5ft 1, my daughter aged 10 has already surpassed that, so wifey will get to enjoy the rear cup holders 😄

Mrs Rompy is under 5’ and has had no problem driving our larger cars. She loves the Lexus. Electric seat adjustment is essential for us. 

Interesting that you’re in an Alfa. I have fond memories of a sud and a 146. Both of which fell apart. I would still have another one though. Clarkson was right about them. Briefly entertained the idea of a 4c but seats don’t adjust vertically without a spanner so that put the lid on that.

Hope you get an RCF sorted. But whatever you get, just ensure it’s got 8 cylinders and remember turbos are for vacuum cleaners not cars. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rompy said:

Mrs Rompy is under 5’ and has had no problem driving our larger cars. She loves the Lexus. Electric seat adjustment is essential for us. 

Interesting that you’re in an Alfa. I have fond memories of a sud and a 146. Both of which fell apart. I would still have another one though. Clarkson was right about them. Briefly entertained the idea of a 4c but seats don’t adjust vertically without a spanner so that put the lid on that.

Hope you get an RCF sorted. But whatever you get, just ensure it’s got 8 cylinders and remember turbos are for vacuum cleaners not cars. 

😂

Ive always wanted an Alfa ever since I was a kid, mine has got an electrical gremlin (I think) which is causing check engine lights and I’ve had numerous other issues, but no serious mechanical ones, just stuff that shouldn’t need replacing but has. The car itself, wow oh wow, 280 bhp 2.0 turbo petrol, 0-60 in just over 5 and 40mpg combined over the last 8k. As Del Boy says, it handles like Maradona! My favourite bit are the drilled aluminium paddle shifters, no plastic to be seen. Absolutely adore driving it. Trying to sort returning it early with the lease company.

6 hours ago, Rompy said:

Oooh £600 is too tempting! I must start a serious search. Let me know if you spot another one.....

Intersting how RCF drivers seem to have another car for throwing around. Mines a Tamora and I’m active in Hampshire TVR club. 

I’m usually around at the back end of a week. Looks like Port Solent is midway between us. Just saying....

Having had two C63 (proper ones) and a stang, I can honestly say the RCF is the best of the bunch. Bonus is that Mrs Rompy (who is the real petrolhead) gives it the thumbs up after a blast up the A43 to the midlands. Really sticks when powering out of roundabouts and can get the power down hard from the apex. The TVD seems more than a gimmick  

John

Yes £600 was a good price as I think they are quite expensive new. so far two have come up for sale, If you get one I have a 'rent a ramp' place just down the road from me that I used it to fit mine in under the two hour hire period plus it gives you the chance to have a poke around underneath.

You must know Steve the Naval chap who does Help for Hero's he used to come along to our Lotus Anorak meetings some time ago.

No problem about Port Solent because there is the road further down near the Industrial Units where we could make a bit of noise without annoying too many people. It'll be nice to see another RCF, I'm guessing yours has AVS.

Interesting I've had two AMG's the N/A SL63 then a V12 CL65

Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust and fitting. As it’s axle back it should be a nice little job. Just need to wait for a system to come up for sale second hand.

Yes, know Steve, he’s been busy with D day commemorations recently. 

Port Solent it is then. Once the weather improves we can have our own mini Hampshire F club meet. 

Yes I think mine has AVS as it’s March 2017. It’s an ex Toyota press vehicle and featured in a few videos. 

With I understand only 23 carbon versions in the uk these cars are pretty rare. Can’t say the same of the alternative German offerings. 

I’m surprised the interest it generates. I probably get more comments on this vehicle than the mustang. I put this down to people double taking what it is and the red paintwork colour just popping in sunlight.

Sounds like we have had similar taste in vehicle history. Maybe there’s a typical RCF owner profile??

J

8 hours ago, Rompy said:

Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust and fitting. As it’s axle back it should be a nice little job. Just need to wait for a system to come up for sale second hand.

Yes, know Steve, he’s been busy with D day commemorations recently. 

Port Solent it is then. Once the weather improves we can have our own mini Hampshire F club meet. 

Yes I think mine has AVS as it’s March 2017. It’s an ex Toyota press vehicle and featured in a few videos. 

With I understand only 23 carbon versions in the uk these cars are pretty rare. Can’t say the same of the alternative German offerings. 

I’m surprised the interest it generates. I probably get more comments on this vehicle than the mustang. I put this down to people double taking what it is and the red paintwork colour just popping in sunlight.

Sounds like we have had similar taste in vehicle history. Maybe there’s a typical RCF owner profile??

J

All sounds good, maybe a good idea to wait until I have the new wheels fitted, I've gone for satin bronze 10 spoke Vossens with a concave design front and back in 20 inch which I think will really suit the red colour of the car. I tried a car without AVS then one with and decided it was a smoother ride in normal mode so managed to get a later one with AVS and TVD. I felt confident knowing the reliability of Lexus components (and their excellent warranty replacement attitude) that you might as well have all the complicated extras fitted to the car, something I'd have been wary of in my previous cars.

30 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

V8ORBUST any news?

Nothing new, my salesman was on a day off yesterday.

I reserved the car just before the dealership closed on Sunday, I have some PCP figures to hand, the interest rate is relatively low for a second hand car, but the total interest charged is always difficult to swallow. I have requested some HP figures as well, I think dealer finance is the way to go, more chance of being accepted given they own the car.

Sorting out the handover of my Alfa, hopefully further news today. I’m trying to get them to waive my final payments due to the reliability of my vehicle so far during the lease. I know they’ve been accommodating to others in the past. Worst case it’s 40% of 4 months rentals so it’s not completely earth shattering, but still better off in my pocket.

I haven’t even viewed the car, putting my faith in the dealership and the full warranty. Might be stupid, but I’ve always wanted an RCF and I should be able to trust a Lexus dealer.

1 minute ago, Rompy said:

Looks fantastic. I’m sure you are going to love it. Just be careful of your speed. 80 is the new 60 in these!!

Have fun

J

Can’t wait, absolutely buzzing. Not seen it or driven it, but not exactly many to choose from and another buyer was lined up. Love the black wheels and orange brembo’s 

27 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Excellent, Isn't that Big Rats car?

YES it was Big Rats as it turns out 😄

just checked his profile pics and it looks remarkably familiar, does he know he’s sold it 😂

My rear tyres lasted 25,000 miles on the RC-F and only slightly less on the IS-F. The fronts are still original after 4 years and 29,000. And I don't hang around when out in the countryside

Just now, B1RMA said:

And of course according to the new Men in Black movie the black ones can fly

Lol I do enough of that at work 😅

9 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

My rear tyres lasted 25,000 miles on the RC-F and only slightly less on the IS-F. The fronts are still original after 4 years and 29,000. And I don't hang around when out in the countryside

Was that on the Michelin’s? 

28 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

YES it was Big Rats as it turns out 😄

just checked his profile pics and it looks remarkably familiar, does he know he’s sold it 😂

The orange calipers gave it away . :wink3: 

Just now, doog442 said:

The orange calipers gave it away . :wink3: 

I must admit I love them. I have yellow ones on my Alfa.

I wish he’d left the Quicksilver on! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V8ORBUST said:

Its a fantastic looking car. Without doubt you have a good 'un, seems a decent price as well. I hope you enjoy it. I might have moved on it but was away in Barcelona and didn't see it pop up. I see the black one has gone from Coventry as well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Its a fantastic looking car. Without doubt you have a good 'un, seems a decent price as well. I hope you enjoy it. I might have moved on it but was away in Barcelona and didn't see it pop up. I see the black one has gone from Coventry as well.

Thanks 😃

There was no movement on the price at all, but with so few on the market, I can understand it. I always use Autotrader / Cargurus and it wasn’t listed on either, I happened across it on my one and only visit to the Lexus website. Just delighted I saw it.

I was originally looking at the Carbon one at Chester, but I’m not overly keen on the orange and I really wanted cooled seats 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, V8ORBUST said:

He still has the quick silver as far as I’m aware, he had this fitted with permission of the Lexus warranty as he didn’t want anything not claimable, the car has been loved n cherished by him and not tracked or abused in anyway shape or form. You have yourself a familiar  and fantastic car, enjoy.

Paul

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

He still has the quick silver as far as I’m aware, he had this fitted with permission of the Lexus warranty as he didn’t want anything not claimable, the car has been loved n cherished by him and not tracked or abused in anyway shape or form. You have yourself a familiar  and fantastic car, enjoy.

Paul

Music to my ears. I plan to keep her long term, normally I change my car regularly but this one I fully intend to keep. 

Am I right in saying they are keyless entry? If so, do people recommend a Faraday cage purse or similar for use at home to protect from theft?

Cheers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

Music to my ears. I plan to keep her long term, normally I change my car regularly but this one I fully intend to keep. 

Am I right in saying they are keyless entry? If so, do people recommend a faraday cage purse or similar for use at home to protect from theft?

Cheers

Yes, I’ve got Faraday pouches for mine, they’re about £15 for two on eBay, was dubious to there function but they have proven to be excellent.

• Like 1

Congrats on the RCF. Saw it yesterday when my car was in for a service. I too noticed it was Paul's car when i saw it. It did look pretty amazing with the black wheels and orange calipers (the only combination in UK i think). I believe Paul did mention that he's taken the quicksilver exhausts off his car but is being sold used at the very same dealer. So you might want to ask them about the exhaust and possibly have them fitted for you before you take the car. 2 birds 1 stone if you will.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ashrez said:

Congrats on the RCF. Saw it yesterday when my car was in for a service. I too noticed it was Paul's car when i saw it. It did look pretty amazing with the black wheels and orange calipers (the only combination in UK i think). I believe Paul did mention that he's taken the quicksilver exhausts off his car but is being sold used at the very same dealer. So you might want to ask them about the exhaust and possibly have them fitted for you before you take the car. 2 birds 1 stone if you will.

I’ve taken the car using Lexus HP finance, I don’t think I’m allowed any modifications given it is still their car (technically) but otherwise 100% I’d be wanting to look into that!

Delighted to hear she was looking good!