Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential RCF purchase

Hi guys, complete newbie so please bear with me. I’m potentially purchasing an RCF this week, given how thin they are on the ground, you’ve got a 1/6 chance of guessing which one it is 😅

Any advice or guidance on RCF ownership would be gratefully appreciated.

It will come with a 3 year warranty, so I guess there’s not much to look out for except exterior scratches etc

Heres hoping everything works out and the finance goes through! 🤑

Cheers

Well done, a three year guarantee, are you sure? If you liked the car on the test drive I'm sure as time passes you'll grow to like it even more. Get a Shell fuel card although they seem to have cocked that up. One of the things I've done is fit a Quicksilver exhaust it just makes the car sound like it should.

5 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Well done, a three year guarantee, are you sure? If you liked the car on the test drive I'm sure as time passes you'll grow to like it even more. Get a Shell fuel card although they seem to have cocked that up. One of the things I've done is fit a Quicksilver exhaust it just makes the car sound like it should.

Thanks for the reply. 12 months standard and 2 years additional, I fully intend to have it under warranty for the entirety of my ownership, I hate repair bills 😂

I would love to modify the exhaust at some stage, but that will depend on whether I take it on PCP or not. I doubt Lexus finance would be too happy if I modified their car.

I don’t want to get too excited, just in case it doesn’t work out. Daft I know, I should be buzzing and not worrying about car finance 🤓

1 minute ago, Mattmech said:

An rcf with three years warranty should give you no worries at all.

good luck, hope it all works out. 👍🏻

Cheers, that’s what I’m hoping!

My current lease car (although an awesome car) has given me too much grief and I’m contacting the lease company tomorrow to hopefully terminate the agreement early. Only a handful of months left anyway, they have been accommodating to at least one other owner and allowed them to hand theirs back, no charges and they even refunded them 2 payments!

This is my chance to get a V8 before we’re all driving Duracell powered scooters (other batteries are available 😁)

Owned our 2017 RCF carbon for just over a month now, (Swindon Lexus sold 2 RCFs on the same day)

These cars are very smooth and easy to drive. The exhaust noise is subdued compared to other V8s. Ignore all the bull about weight and a slow gearbox - I haven’t noticed either. 

My only real niggle is the 1990s sat nav and interface. But I seldom use it. These cars come fully loaded and there doesn’t seem that much need to enhance them further (except exhaust). I must catch up with B1RMA and hear his sometime- we must be close (I’m SO31).

Expect around 25mpg mixed use which is strangely spot on what I’ve got out of previous V8s between 5.0 & 6.2l

Mine is used as a daily and will rack up around 12k per year. Service plan seemed sensible for me to spread costs (it’s just a savings plan).

Paint is soft and multi layered (red). Im off to a local detailer soon for advice on best treatment to try and harden the top surface. With the cost of these cars and paint complexity it does make sense to try and protect it.

Build quality is superb.

You will not be disappointed. I hope it all comes together and you get the car!

Just be prepared for odd looks when you tell people what you drive. “A Lexus? Is it a hybrid? NO

2nd day of ownership I “played” with a couple of tuned up BMWs on the ring road and they followed me into Morrison’s to find out what it was, as they were genuinely surprised a Lexus could move like these can when wound up.

32 minutes ago, Rompy said:

Owned our 2017 RCF carbon for just over a month now, (Swindon Lexus sold 2 RCFs on the same day)

These cars are very smooth and easy to drive. The exhaust noise is subdued compared to other V8s. Ignore all the bull about weight and a slow gearbox - I haven’t noticed either. 

My only real niggle is the 1990s sat nav and interface. But I seldom use it. These cars come fully loaded and there doesn’t seem that much need to enhance them further (except exhaust). I must catch up with B1RMA and hear his sometime- we must be close (I’m SO31).

Expect around 25mpg mixed use which is strangely spot on what I’ve got out of previous V8s between 5.0 & 6.2l

Mine is used as a daily and will rack up around 12k per year. Service plan seemed sensible for me to spread costs (it’s just a savings plan).

Paint is soft and multi layered (red). Im off to a local detailer soon for advice on best treatment to try and harden the top surface. With the cost of these cars and paint complexity it does make sense to try and protect it.

Build quality is superb.

You will not be disappointed. I hope it all comes together and you get the car!

Just be prepared for odd looks when you tell people what you drive. “A Lexus? Is it a hybrid? NO

2nd day of ownership I “played” with a couple of tuned up BMWs on the ring road and they followed me into Morrison’s to find out what it was, as they were genuinely surprised a Lexus could move like these can when wound up.

We’re a family of Lexus owners, my dad has a LS460, my 2nd car is a good old RX300, so this will be adding to the fleet 😂

I had my Alfa professionally ceramic coated,it certainly doesn’t stop stone chips I’m afraid and didn’t stop my alloys corroding either. But I will be looking to protect this somehow, ceramic certainly makes them easier to wash!

This will be my daily drive, I do about 14k miles a year, mainly on the motorway. I take it easy on the motorway and enjoy the rest of the tank 😃

I’m amazed at the equipment level, it wants for nothing.

I’ve never owned a V8, I’ve been looking at all sorts (except BMW) but this car seems to be very good value given it’s not even 3 years old. RCF and a 2019 Mustang are top of my list, test drove a 2013 S7, found it was clinical and lacked soul (imho) still a great car though. If this one doesn’t work out, I will probably have a look at a C63, I would be worried to take that out in the wet though!

Fingers crossed it all works out for you, I’ve had my ISF for over 4yrs, pretty much the same engine barring a few tweaks here n there, in my 4yrs I’ve spent £0 on it barring Service’s, personally I’d be inclined to save the 2yr warranty cost unless u plan to track the car, other than the odd burst here n there these cars can’t be driven to their potential so I’d save the outlay of the warranty, being an RCF and obviously newer I totally understand the “Lexus stamp” service, the ISF are obviously older and for me the cost of Lexus services beckon belief with a few horror stories of late. I’m sure you’ll be over the moon with it,

Paul

2 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

We’re a family of Lexus owners, my dad has a LS460, my 2nd car is a good old RX300, so this will be adding to the fleet 😂

I had my Alfa professionally ceramic coated,it certainly doesn’t stop stone chips I’m afraid and didn’t stop my alloys corroding either. But I will be looking to protect this somehow, ceramic certainly makes them easier to wash!

I’ve never owned a V8, I’ve been looking at all sorts (except BMW) but this car seems to be very good value given it’s not even 3 years old. RCF and a 2019 Mustang are top of my list, test drove a 2013 S7, found it was clinical and lacked soul (imho) still a great car though. If this one doesn’t work out, I will probably have a look at a C63, I would be worried to take that out in the wet though!

I know someone who works at fords and when they say about me being a petrol head they totally understand my choice of a Lexus, I personally wouldn’t buy a ford let alone a Mustang, they look nice and that’s were it ends!.......drive them both and push a little on the corners 😉.....but not to much 😂

1 hour ago, V8ORBUST said:

My current lease car (although an awesome car) has given me too much grief and I’m contacting the lease company tomorrow to hopefully terminate the agreement early. 

Come on, spill the beans, what is it? Just to help us Lexus converts feel righteously smug! 😉

15 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Fingers crossed it all works out for you, I’ve had my ISF for over 4yrs, pretty much the same engine barring a few tweaks here n there, in my 4yrs I’ve spent £0 on it barring Service’s, personally I’d be inclined to save the 2yr warranty cost unless u plan to track the car, other than the odd burst here n there these cars can’t be driven to their potential so I’d save the outlay of the warranty, being an RCF and obviously newer I totally understand the “Lexus stamp” service, the ISF are obviously older and for me the cost of Lexus services beckon belief with a few horror stories of late. I’m sure you’ll be over the moon with it,

Paul

I believe it’s 2 years for the price of one for the warranty, which represents good value imho. My dad has had more than his money’s worth out of his warranty on the LS, but that’s air suspension for you (amongst other things).I’m a sucker for that warranty comfort blanket. As you quite rightly say, I’ll have to keep up those Lexus stamps!

Any advice on insurance, so far £768 is the best I have with Aviva, based on 14k miles and £1050 total excess (ouch).

6 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

Come on, spill the beans, what is it? Just to help us Lexus converts feel righteously smug! 😉

Clarkson once said “you cant call yourself a petrol head until you’ve owned one!”

Best car I’ve ever driven, just multiple niggles.

20 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

I know someone who works at fords and when they say about me being a petrol head they totally understand my choice of a Lexus, I personally wouldn’t buy a ford let alone a Mustang, they look nice and that’s were it ends!.......drive them both and push a little on the corners 😉.....but not to much 😂

I’ve driven a few Mustangs, both 2.3 and 5.0, it’s the lure of the V8 with the manual box... the 2.3 is just yuck imho 

9 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

I believe it’s 2 years for the price of one for the warranty, which represents good value imho. My dad has had more than his money’s worth out of his warranty on the LS, but that’s air suspension for you (amongst other things).I’m a sucker for that warranty comfort blanket. As you quite rightly say, I’ll have to keep up those Lexus stamps!

Any advice on insurance, so far £768 is the best I have with Aviva, based on 14k miles and £1050 total excess (ouch).

My insurance is with Admiral, it’s £330-ish with 12k mileage, excess combined is £500 from memory.......although I’m 47! 😂😂.....it was £260 four years ago so going up to pay for all the scams etc. Like all insurance companies it’s a non loss organisation 😉

4 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

My insurance is with Admiral, it’s £330-ish with 12k mileage, excess combined is £500 from memory.......although I’m 47! 😂😂.....it was £260 four years ago so going up to pay for all the scams etc. Like all insurance companies it’s a non loss organisation 😉

Ahhhh but you don’t live in Nottingham, you probably live somewhere nice where cars don’t get stolen 😂

I can get it for just over £600 but with Debenhams or goskippy, not sure I’d trust either.

Chopped my 5.0l Lucari mustang in for the RCF. The mustang clutch soon becomes hard work on any commute. I understand the lure of a manual V8 and when paired to a Borla Atak they sound incredible. But we are talking chalk and cheese. The build quality of the Ford is excellent for its price point, but believe me the Lexus is streets ahead.

Stangs don’t corner too well in standard set up! 

@V8ORBUST Congratulations on your intended choice, as others have mentioned the only real shortcoming is the subdued exhaust, I have a Quicksilver system that Lexus Cheltenham have just removed from mine that will be up for sale very soon.

Many on here have the system fitted to their Rcf’s and It is simply epic value.

Big Rat 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@V8ORBUST Congratulations on your intended choice, as others have mentioned the only real shortcoming is the subdued exhaust, I have a Quicksilver system that Lexus Cheltenham have just removed from mine that will be up for sale very soon.

Many on here have the system fitted to their Rcf’s and It is simply epic value.

Big Rat 

Cheers, the quicksilver does sound incredible. I found the S7 to be quiet, I’m hoping the RCF is slightly louder. I haven’t driven one yet, I just fell in love with the design when it was first announced and the idea of a NA V8.

7 minutes ago, Rompy said:

Chopped my 5.0l Lucari mustang in for the RCF. The mustang clutch soon becomes hard work on any commute. I understand the lure of a manual V8 and when paired to a Borla Atak they sound incredible. But we are talking chalk and cheese. The build quality of the Ford is excellent for its price point, but believe me the Lexus is streets ahead.

Stangs don’t corner too well in standard set up! 

The interior in the Stang would wear me down after a while, just things like the air vent covers and door cards would drive me insane ultimately.

ive read the clutch is heavy and given my 134 mile commute, you are most probably very right!

3 hours ago, V8ORBUST said:

Cheers, that’s what I’m hoping!

My current lease car (although an awesome car) has given me too much grief and I’m contacting the lease company tomorrow to hopefully terminate the agreement early. Only a handful of months left anyway, they have been accommodating to at least one other owner and allowed them to hand theirs back, no charges and they even refunded them 2 payments!

This is my chance to get a V8 before we’re all driving Duracell powered scooters (other batteries are available 😁)

What is your current lease car which is both awesome and full of grief?

17 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

What is your current lease car which is both awesome and full of grief?

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce, I don’t regret buying it at all, but she must have been a Friday afternoon build.

• Like 1

RCF all the way!!! Scrap the idea of the stang! I used to work for ford! And I shall say no more!

On my 2nd ISF now, best car I’ve driven by far, just need exhaust to let the evil that lays beneath that V8.

Potentially looking into getting a RCF Soon!

anyone got a non standard ISF exhaust for sale please? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rompy said:

. I must catch up with B1RMA and hear his sometime- we must be close (I’m SO31).

Indeed I am, I'm near Horndean PO8 area. Just let me know when it would suit to meet up as I don't need much of an excuse to go out for a blast. There have been a couple of Quicksilvers for sale recently and £600 seems to be the price they go for secondhand. They really do make the RCF sound like a 470 BHP N/A V8 should sound like. Plus in cruise mode (Normal setting) at motorway limits you can hardly tell the difference from standard.

I agree about the autobox, a chap on Pistonheads (an ex owner) said it was too sluggish on a recent thread. I have tried to replicate that scenario and so far have not found the car lacking in picking up. But as someone on this forum said the car does 100 MPH in 3rd so as with all N/A the pleasure comes from 'working' the very willing engine.

The Chris Harris video on the RCF is just about spot on insofar as he found that the car is a bit heavy for real track use but then I've always had a track day car like my last VX220 Turbo. Which has drawn me to the conclusion if you want to do track days buy a track day car, why risk a fairly expensive car when for less than £20K you can enjoy yourself with a car suited primevally for track use. On the road he said it was a different case and I do agree with that conclusion too.

Oooh £600 is too tempting! I must start a serious search. Let me know if you spot another one.....

Intersting how RCF drivers seem to have another car for throwing around. Mines a Tamora and I’m active in Hampshire TVR club. 

I’m usually around at the back end of a week. Looks like Port Solent is midway between us. Just saying....

Having had two C63 (proper ones) and a stang, I can honestly say the RCF is the best of the bunch. Bonus is that Mrs Rompy (who is the real petrolhead) gives it the thumbs up after a blast up the A43 to the midlands. Really sticks when powering out of roundabouts and can get the power down hard from the apex. The TVD seems more than a gimmick  

John

4 minutes ago, Rompy said:

Oooh £600 is too tempting! I must start a serious search. Let me know if you spot another one.....

Intersting how RCF drivers seem to have another car for throwing around. Mines a Tamora and I’m active in Hampshire TVR club. 

I’m usually around at the back end of a week. Looks like Port Solent is midway between us. Just saying....

Having had two C63 (proper ones) and a stang, I can honestly say the RCF is the best of the bunch. Bonus is that Mrs Rompy (who is the real petrolhead) gives it the thumbs up after a blast up the A43 to the midlands. Really sticks when powering out of roundabouts and can get the power down hard from the apex. The TVD seems more than a gimmick  

John

Rompy, in what way would you assess the RCF as better than the C63? Better build, more refined, power more accessible or is it that it’s less likely to kill you? 😂 

I started out wanting a C63, but never went to see one, so just interested.

The quicksilver sounds amazing, I’m almost tempted to just go HP so I can modify the car!

Had a C63 saloon in 2010 and a coupe in 2014. The later car had the better gearbox. The sound of these on full power is awesome (crackling lightening to a mustang rolling thunder). But, whilst the engine and gearbox are quick and fun, the whole package isn’t so refined as the Lexus. Build quality and after sales are excellent, but the Lexus has the edge on materials and lack of squeaks and rattles. 

Access to the rear is easier in the Lexus, which might be an issue?

Southampton Merc are very good and we enjoyed the experience (buying a E cab and A45 from them as well. We tried to get a C63 507 model last year but they are all thrashed by now. Be careful taking a C63 for a test drive as the learning gearbox can seem poor if it’s been sat for any length of time. It takes a good run to wake up.

Budget for rear tyres every 4 to 6k with a C63 and that’s driving normally. I’m hoping for better from the RCF. However, if running costs are a concern don’t buy! We had to sell the 2010 C63 after 12 months and 22k as we were spending more on that than we could afford  

• Like 1