Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The car was hit while stationary - advice needed!

On 6/10/2019 at 9:31 AM, Vlady said:

To choose a body repair centre of my choice will cost me £200 on top of my excess as far as I can see.

Do I pay an excess if the accident is not my fault?!

You pay the excess initially and then claim it back from the third party insurance company 

9 times out of 10, they pay up almost immediately as it means they've settled - usually at a much reduced cost to them compared to if you went through a company like Auxilis

• 2 weeks later...

I got my car back last night from paint shop! I could not spot any issues with it, looks like they did a really good job! 

I am so happy to have it back! I missed her a lot! :) Qashqai was not a bad car but I love my GS, it's quieter, comfier and much (much) quicker and much more relaxed to drive be it town or motorway! 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Qashqai was not a bad car

my recent experience as a passenger in a low miles 17 plate one was it's like an old bag'o'bones compared to the Ls400

and the back seat entry requirements are for someone with zero leg issues as it's just too high to escalate oneself up the ramparts :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

I got my car back last night from paint shop! I could not spot any issues with it, looks like they did a really good job! 

I am so happy to have it back! I missed her a lot! :) Qashqai was not a bad car but I love my GS, it's quieter, comfier and much (much) quicker and much more relaxed to drive be it town or motorway! 

Very pleased for you Vlad.

As the Great Man said "all is well that ends well".

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Very pleased for you Vlad.

As the Great Man said "all is well that ends well".

Well, the car was fixed well, but the time will tell, I hope I won't have any lacquer pilling off in a year time or so.

Now, i have a battle with their insurance as I decided to pay £7 a day for courtesy car to bring my excess down to £0 in case something happens, apparently this was optional and insurance does not want to refund it because it is optional. If I didn't pay £7 a day i could end up paying excess of £1400 so obviously I decided to take this option. So far insurance does not want to pay it! Grrr!

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

I decided to pay £7 a day for courtesy car

then it's a good and simple further claim on the 3rd party ?

Malc

48 minutes ago, Malc said:

then it's a good and simple further claim on the 3rd party ?

Malc

Hi Malc, I thought so and I am trying to claim it through insurance (it's not mine insurance but the car who hit me, I take it this is what you call 3rd party?) as everything was organised through them (my car repair and courtesy car) but their point is that this was optional and if you decided to take it then I am responsible to pay for it, it's not much, just under £70 but why would I have to pay it? 

You shouldn’t have to pay and as Malc says 3rd party claim, just the mechanics of how you do it, and I am sure somebody on here will explain how. Good luck, 

• Thanks 1

You could argue that you took out the £7 per day to protect you from a possible £1400 excess and as your own insurance excess is “£xxx” amount, then you are claiming for the extra cost you incurred in equalising any excess charges.  If this makes sense !! 😀😀

Oh gosh... Many years ago I had a Citroen BX. It had the hand brake on the front wheels, and the early ones also had a problem that if you pulled the hand brake on whilst the car was rolling it would jack the front suspension up. Then you got out, went into your home and the car's suspension levelled itself and also somehow relased the hand brake too... I didn't know this, when I reversed onto my drive I smartly pulled the hand brake on, jumped out, went in and did the usual get home from work stuff. Kiss the dog, pat the wife on the head, you know..

First I heard was when my neighbour across the road came and asked me why I had left my car in the middle of the road... Always left it in gear after that.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 8:58 PM, C Mclean said:

You could argue that you took out the £7 per day to protect you from a possible £1400 excess and as your own insurance excess is “£xxx” amount, then you are claiming for the extra cost you incurred in equalising any excess charges.  If this makes sense !! 😀😀

Colin, this was my exact point to them, and they keep saying that that option is optional and it was my choice to take it therefore I am to pay it! Not sure what will happen, they said they will call me back, I doubt that though, will give them a call on Tuesday. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Greer said:

Vlad, now this is sorted, have you found out why on earth this persons car has now rolled back downhill twice? it rarely ever happens at all anywhere, have you been into the reasons with him before it happens again & you have to go through all this hassle again? any reason why he is not paying for the hire car? you would not need a hire car if the other guy had not put you off the road!

I tried Alan, but always got an uncertain answer, the guys are Muslims, the car who hit mine is driven by the women and after the accident I was only dealing with her husband, from what I understood it was her who reversed or something, to insurance they said the car rolled in and that is what my other neighbor told me as after it happened the cars were stacked together for a couple of hours. :)

Well, after my car was repaired I asked them nicely to park more careful when I am there, on which the guy replied this is not his car and his wife drives it! lol!

Yesterday their car was parked up the road again, luckily it didn't roll down but I see how that could happen! :)

I am glad my car is fixed and actually it is better than it was before the accident. Bumper and bonnet resprayed (no stone chips or swirl marks), new radiator grill and emblem and new clips for under the bonnet covers which i meant to change for the last few weeks and just never had a chance to pop in to LEXUS to order some.

22 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

How is religious belief relevant?

Hi Mark, I didn't want to offend anyone, I was trying to say that maybe because they are Muslim (I am rubbish when it comes to religions) he (car owner husband) never let me talked to his wife, I assume this is something to do with religion and I might be wrong, may be this is how things done in their house and husband decides everything and nothing has to do with religion, so I never found out how exactly the accident happened, may be she forgot to engage the handbrake fully, may be she never put it on on a 1st place, may be she reversed into my car while parking, I don't know as I never talked to her.
I hope I cleared the thing here Mark.

I am sorry if anyone got offended by my comment, it was not intentional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Hi Mark, I didn't want to offend anyone, I was trying to say that maybe because they are Muslim (I am rubbish when it comes to religions) he (car owner husband) never let me talked to his wife, I assume this is something to do with religion and I might be wrong, may be this is how things done in their house and husband decides everything and nothing has to do with religion, so I never found out how exactly the accident happened, may be she forgot to engage the handbrake fully, may be she never put it on on a 1st place, may be she reversed into my car while parking, I don't know as I never talked to her.
I hope I cleared the thing here Mark.

I am sorry if anyone got offended by my comment, it was not intentional.

Give him a document in English (or email him) which states

"When parking car you must ensure that

Hand brake is applied and

Vehicle is left in Gear or Park position and

Wheels are pointing to the Kerbside"

Address it (to him) Sign it, date it and give him a copy and keep a copy for your records upon which you have written that he was handed a copy on a particular date.

If he complains about your action ,simply tell him "that`s what we do in UK to protect our assets"

Good luck. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greer said:

So if this happens again what will you do next time Vlady?

I am not sure much can be done, if it happens again what can I do? Even if he signs the document suggested by @royoftherovers above not much I can do I guess. Another claim another repair, I don't think they will agree to give up driving or take extra driving lessons and learn how to park and drive. :)

@Malc I don't think police will get involve in something like this, I might call them if this happens 3rd time but the guy can always blame it being an accident and accidents happen all the time, unless I can prove he targets out cars for these accidents. :)

I hope there won't be a 3rd time though! I will get very upset!

My neighbor has 5 kids, one of them already has a car, another one is taking driving lessons, the guy himself is thinking to get a Jag, I am dreading that moment when all of them get cars, we already struggling for car spaces next to houses and of course my car will get more chances to get hit! 😞

Everything is going to be ok Vlad!

45 minutes ago, Vlady said:

@Malc I don't think police will get involve in something like this, I might call them if this happens 3rd time but the guy can always blame it being an accident and accidents happen all the time, unless I can prove he targets out cars for these accidents. 🙂

I hope there won't be a 3rd time though! I will get very upset!

My neighbor has 5 kids, one of them already has a car, another one is taking driving lessons, the guy himself is thinking to get a Jag, I am dreading that moment when all of them get cars, we already struggling for car spaces next to houses and of course my car will get more chances to get hit! 😞

Everything is going to be ok Vlad!

An accident is an unforseen event.

What you are experiencing is carelessness, which comes under the banner of "driving without due care and attention."

You ignore the fact at your own peril Vlad.

Report the offender(s) or relocate if you can.

• Like 1