Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water ingress on passenger's side

Mine's a '98 Mk2 GS300 with sunroof. I have rainwater coming into the car which collects on the nearside A-pillar trim (about half-way down) and drips onto the passenger's floorpan.

I have cleared as best as possible the four sunroof drains using a telephone cable pair and inspected the door and windscreen seals which appear to be in order.

I'm a bit stumped. Has anyone else experienced this?

never encountered it myself but i know Ford has this with the fiesta and focus. There it is caused by a blocked parafan. This is the plastic box on the bottom of the frontscreen below the hood. This catches water from the windscreen and guides this away from the car to the ground. On both sides of this box left and right is an opening where the water rusn through. This can easily be blocked by leaves or dirt. If blocked the water cannot get out and eventually will drip over the side and finds its way over the firewall to the bottom of the car where it can enter the carfloor. There it will find the lowest point. Could be something alike this? 

22 minutes ago, Mike246 said:

Mine's a '98 Mk2 GS300 with sunroof. I have rainwater coming into the car which collects on the nearside A-pillar trim (about half-way down) and drips onto the passenger's floorpan.

I have cleared as best as possible the four sunroof drains using a telephone cable pair and inspected the door and windscreen seals which appear to be in order.

I'm a bit stumped. Has anyone else experienced this?

The best way I've found for cleaning sun roof drain holes is very heavy duty strimmer line, it's about 4mm thick and if you're careful you should be able to run it all the way through. I used to keep some in the boot but chucked it out as I don't have a sunroof now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close-off this post and inform anyone who may encounter the same issue, I have now resolved it.

Turns out it's an easy DIY job. Retract the door aperture surround seal to expose the headlining edge, remove the passenger grab handle and sunshade mount. It is then possible to get a hand into the location where the fixed and flexible pipes meet to rejoin.

The GS300 fights on to live another day!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I'll have to check this out as ran a Net curtain wire as far as it could go (well at least a metre) and no sign of any dirt. Water in pass side footwell as you experienced.  Is it the pipe join that is the issue? Disconnected?  How did you fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 10:19 PM, Mike246 said:

Just to close-off this post and inform anyone who may encounter the same issue, I have now resolved it.

Turns out it's an easy DIY job. Retract the door aperture surround seal to expose the headlining edge, remove the passenger grab handle and sunshade mount. It is then possible to get a hand into the location where the fixed and flexible pipes meet to rejoin.

The GS300 fights on to live another day!

Hello Michael,

You don't actually say what you found as the fault?  I'd be grateful to hear what the fault actually was? Don't want to mess with the headliner if its not necessry.  So was it a Disconnected Y pipe  / blocked Y pipe or what ??  Thanks - Stuart

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links