Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm looking for a replacement for my 2006 IS 220D and like the look of the GS450h and RX400H.

What are they like compared to a diesel IS? How much is the road tax? Want an auto version. Budget up to 10k but ideally 5k for a GS. Insurance costs around £700 based on a 2007 GS 450H SE L, so around 250 more than my IS. I like comfort and safety. What is fuel economy like on the GS?

My main reasons for change are the ULEZ charge coming to Birmingham so want to avoid it the charge.

If I bought a newer petrol car, what emissions class does it have to be to be ULEZ approved? Quite like a skoda octavia estate.

Many Thanks. James.

Hi James, the GS450h has been good to me over the past couple of years and returns 35mpg on average (tank-tank calc's). 

Best tank I've seen was just over 40mpg average and worse ever was 30.5mpg.

I only drove an IS diesel briefly and the GS rides very nicely and goes like stink in comparison. 

The hybrid function works really well and can get the average mpg up if the conditions are suitable. 

Road tax is £240pa.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Hi James, the GS450h has been good to me over the past couple of years and returns 35mpg on average (tank-tank calc's). 

Best tank I've seen was just over 40mpg average and worse ever was 30.5mpg.

I only drove an IS diesel briefly and the GS rides very nicely and goes like stink in comparison. 

The hybrid function works really well and can get the average mpg up if the conditions are suitable. 

Road tax is £240pa.

Thanks for the reply. About the same as an IS diesel then for economy. Not bad for a larger car. Road tax is less than my 1996 Volvo 940 2.3 lpt!

Torn between spending more on a petrol estate. Estate more practical for me. Thinking Octavia or avensis. Found out that EURO 6 compliant from September 2016 will be fine or most petrol under 12 years old.  

Thanks. James

I’ve just renewed my road tax and it’s gone up to £250, which is still ok given far less interesting stuff is often over £300.

I get an average of 28mpg in my 2008 GS450h. That’s over nearly two years and over 20,000 miles. It’s a heavy car and fast and smooth but it’s not something you can throw around a country lane, which is something you may be able to do in your IS.

It’s a great car and I’m happy with it but in my experience it’s no more reliable than any other car of the same class. My local Lexus dealer (Cambridge) is average.

Definitely consider an extended warranty if the car is under 10 years old and 140,000 miles.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

I’ve just renewed my road tax and it’s gone up to £250, which is still ok given far less interesting stuff is often over £300.

I get an average of 28mpg in my 2008 GS450h. That’s over nearly two years and over 20,000 miles. It’s a heavy car and fast and smooth but it’s not something you can throw around a country lane, which is something you may be able to do in your IS.

It’s a great car and I’m happy with it but in my experience it’s no more reliable than any other car of the same class. My local Lexus dealer (Cambridge) is average.

Definitely consider an extended warranty if the car is under 10 years old and 140,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your feedback.

Presume the car you buy has to have full Lexus service history and inspected prior to agreeing to the warranty? What is covered and how much does it cost?

I think maintenance is a big issue for me on an £8,000 a year income on any car. Don't want any big bills and like a car like my Volvo that keeps passing it's mot.

So far my IS has had nothing major wrong in the near 18 months of ownership and everything works as it should.  I prefer the ride of my Volvo as soft.  The IS you feel every bump in the road, but is glued to the road and is nippy. Is has 183,000miles now as put on 8,000 miles by me. Volvo 200,000. Both no idea if suspension has been replaced.

I would keep my 1996 Volvo 940 as easy to service and reliable. It's my workhorse.

Hoping  a 2-3 year old used Toyota avensis or Skoda octavia estate would be reliable. Again though 10-12 grand would pay a lot of the ULEZ charge and may find a way to Kings Heath without paying. So much to think about. The car would be paid by savings so no finance.

James.

Hoping  a 2-3 year old used Toyota avensis or Skoda octavia estate would be reliable. Again though 10-12 grand would pay a lot of the ULEZ charge and may find a way to Kings Heath without paying. So much to think about. The car would be paid by savings so no finance.
James.

I’m no expert but I’m sure those cars would be reliable, but despite them being newer those cars aren’t in the same league as the GS. That said they do have lots of space whereas the boot on the GS450 is relatively tiny - think about the same size boot space as a Fiesta or Corsa.

I’m terms of reliability in the two years I’ve had mine I’ve needed a new shock absorber, water pump, new TPMS sensors all round, a new wing mirror motor, new earth strap on the gearbox, both windscreen washers, a new passenger seat belt mechanism and a few other bits. This has been covered by the warranty but it’s annoying all the same. I’m now chasing another problem with an intermittently failing parking sensor. This is on a relatively low mileage car with a full Lexus service history, so I don’t consider the reliability to be outstanding.

I did a one year ownership report which might make for interesting reading.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/116891-a-year-with-a-gs450/

I’m not trying to put you off, the GS450 is a really good car, but with a limited income stream the potential for expensive problems on what was a near £50K car might cause some sleepless nights!

Many thanks for your post.

I have had a think and my sensible head says keep my IS 220D for now and if it breaks or the ULEZ in Brum arrives and there is no way around buy an IS 250 auto. checked a few from 2006 and 2010 and both exempt. Hopefully stay that way as affordable for me.

I like Lexus as a brand and the standard stereo in my IS is great. Like the styling of my Diesel but no diesel issues to worry about with 250 and buy a better spec SE L. Best of all love auto and should get one for £3,000 Like burgundy colour or light blue with light tan leather!

Your thoughts?

My current IS

James.

Lex1.jpg

Lex2.jpg

Lex3.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks for your post.
I have had a think and my sensible head says keep my IS 220D for now and if it breaks or the ULEZ in Brum arrives and there is no way around buy an IS 250 auto. checked a few from 2006 and 2010 and both exempt. Hopefully stay that way as affordable for me.
I like Lexus as a brand and the standard stereo in my IS is great. Like the styling of my Diesel but no diesel issues to worry about with 250 and buy a better spec SE L. Best of all love auto and should get one for £3,000 Like burgundy colour or light blue with light tan leather!
Your thoughts?
My current IS
James.
Lex1.thumb.jpg.023ad1a957bcaad607214600e375a520.jpg
Lex2.thumb.jpg.c70d1726181264fc285edd5612112ebc.jpg
Lex3.thumb.jpg.47941159b8bf953477b8b88ab865ceef.jpg

I can’t really fault your logic James, though the only thing I’d say with “old” cars like ours is sometimes it’s better the devil you know, meaning I’d hold fire on buying anything until you know the full details on the ULEZ scheme for Birmingham.

I’m not much of an authority on the IS model but I’m sure a fully specced IS250 SE-L is a nice car, but I’d test drive one of these before making a decision.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903206100338

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. [emoji106]

8 hours ago, Odysseus said:

I can’t really fault your logic James, though the only thing I’d say with “old” cars like ours is sometimes it’s better the devil you know, meaning I’d hold fire on buying anything until you know the full details on the ULEZ scheme for Birmingham.

I’m not much of an authority on the IS model but I’m sure a fully specced IS250 SE-L is a nice car, but I’d test drive one of these before making a decision.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903206100338

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. I have never been a fan of BMW, Audi or Mercedes. Never driven any of them but don't like their image and think of costly repairs. I'm more old school, hence drove a 1986 Volvo 740 in 2002 for 5 years and a 1989 240 for 10 years until sold a year ago. All bought cheap as in £425.00 for 740 and £350 for 240 GLT back in 2009.

As you say, once the ULEZ comes into force I'll know then if any future vehicle I buy is compliant. It would be just like the government to change the rules as too many buying a cheap older, petrol ULEZ vehicle. 

James.

I've sold my F30 320d for the same reason - ULEZ! And that it was hitting 100k miles.

Just got the Gs450h a few days ago and i'm in love. Whole different world. They're amazing cars! MPG won't be as good as the diesel but that v6 engine OMG!

• Like 3