Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quicksilver & Warranty

Hello All

I have a 2016 RCF, white with dark rose interior. Superb car, definitely a keeper, but audibly a little reserved for its own good! The car has an extended warranty to August 2021 from the Lexus BOGOF deal. (Car bought from a dealer in August 18, dealer used warranty + 2 years extended). 

I have seen references on here to the Quicksilver exhaust not affecting the warranty cover; how do I go about getting this confirmed by Lexus / TWG before proceeding to buy and fit the exhaust?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John

The Quicksilver certainly transforms the RCF exhaust sound, it makes the car sound like a 470bhp N/A V8 engined car should sound like. Yet at 70 mph in standard mode with light throttle application I don't think it sounds any different to standard, but touch the throttle and you know it's there. All in all the best thing you can do to the RCF.

Not sure about how the warranty applies as I used a local 'rent a ramp' service close to me and fitted it myself easily in less than an hour, you will require a 10mm 1.25 die to recut the thread of the sprung bolt as it's a different thread to what is used in the standard rear exhaust flange.

Can't think why fitting it yourself would invalidate the warranty because it's a simple rear section bolt on extra. According to the USA forum more issues of damaged cats occur through dealers putting too much oil in the engine at service time.

As my solicitor always says 'it might be worth a letter' if a claim was ever refused, can't imagine given Lexus's track record they'd be arses about it.

• Like 1

@BlueJ Matey if you want peace of mind contact @DAW off of here and he has full information as regards Lexus UK.

And I have access to another Quicksilver system that was on a car for one day then reboxed, if mine gets snapped up you have an option let me know if interested 

🐀

• Like 1

Usually a warranty becomes void on anything you touch but stays active on other things.

In other words, if you ever needed warranty work done on your gearbox then changing your exhaust has no bearing on that so the warranty should be honoured, but they wouldn't honour a claim on your exhaust. Similarly, if your windscreen started leaking then Lexus would cover that because again, it's not affected by work done on the exhaust.

• Like 1

As @Big Rat Paul referenced above I contacted TWG who were very helpful  & who confirmed that the Quicksilver Exhaust (being only axel back & not containing any sensors) does not invalidate the warranty. There is a thread covering this where I posted TWG’s email to me & It applies to everyone with the system fitted to the RCF not just me.

Lexus Cheltenham, who are a brilliant dealership run by car enthusiasts, fitted my exhaust, along with a few others on here.  So if you want to be belt & braces about it give them a try unless you can persuade your local dealership to do it.

Cannot say enough for the Quicksilver system, as @B1RMA said quiet as standard unless you prod the throttle then it sounds fantastic.  It is louder on start up but reduces as soon as you put it in gear,  

Best decision I made as it means I can drive based on the engine revs, which is something I missed with my previous ISF.

Go for it you won’t regret it👍🏻

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DAW said:

As @Big Rat Paul referenced above I contacted TWG who were very helpful  & who confirmed that the Quicksilver Exhaust (being only axel back & not containing any sensors) does not invalidate the warranty. There is a thread covering this where I posted TWG’s email to me & It applies to everyone with the system fitted to the RCF not just me.

Lexus Cheltenham, who are a brilliant dealership run by car enthusiasts, fitted my exhaust, along with a few others on here.  So if you want to be belt & braces about it give them a try unless you can persuade your local dealership to do it.

Cannot say enough for the Quicksilver system, as @B1RMA said quiet as standard unless you prod the throttle then it sounds fantastic.  It is louder on start up but reduces as soon as you put it in gear,  

Best decision I made as it means I can drive based on the engine revs, which is something I missed with my previous ISF.

Go for it you won’t regret it👍🏻

But there can't be any reason why fitting it yourself can invalidate any part of the warranty. Okay you have to as I mentioned cut a new thread on the sprung bolt on the standard system that joins the Quicksilver if you want to use standard M10 stainless nuts and of course the job is made so much easier if you can hire a ramp.

Plus if like the last couple that have been up for sale if you can get one for £600 it's a bargain to boot, not sure I'd pay full price for one though but that's because on certain things I'm a tight git.

QS messed up on bolt threads new ones should be be good. I left original for easy reversion and used 4 bolts passed through with aerotight nuts.

Not only do they sound gloriously illegal when on pipe they look better too.

I did a before and after vid on you tube

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Comedian said:

QS messed up on bolt threads new ones should be be good. I left original for easy reversion and used 4 bolts passed through with aerotight nuts.

Indeed, I decided to keep with the sprung bolts and can always buy a second set for reversion when and if needed.

Hello All

Thanks very much for the feedback and info - much appreciated. I'll look at @DAW's old thread then get in touch with TWG. Appreciate that I can't expect anything changed to be covered, but I'm just after something from the warranty provider to support the rest of the cover. Local dealer is Stockport (who are great to deal with) but if they're not familiar with the system I have no problem taking a trip to Cheltenham (I won't be doing this DIY).

@Big Rat - thanks for your input, I may well be in touch as I have no issue buying used vs. new.

The QS exhaust sounds ideal. I do spend a lot of time on the motorway so the last thing I would want is any boom or drone when cruising, but I would like the engine to sound like a 5 ltr V8 at other times. I look forward to progressing this!

Thanks again.

John

10 hours ago, BlueJ said:

The QS exhaust sounds ideal. I do spend a lot of time on the motorway so the last thing I would want is any boom or drone when cruising, but I would like the engine to sound like a 5 ltr V8 at other times. I look forward to progressing this!

It's a pity you are so far away as I'm meeting up with another forum member to demonstrate mine down here near Portsmouth in a couple of weeks time. I plan to take the car along the M27 at motorway speeds to demonstrate if there may be any drones that I may me oblivious to at these speeds.

11 hours ago, Comedian said:

Do you have a link?

41 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

It's a pity you are so far away as I'm meeting up with another forum member to demonstrate mine down here near Portsmouth in a couple of weeks time. I plan to take the car along the M27 at motorway speeds to demonstrate if there may be any drones that I may me oblivious to at these speeds.

Hi @B1 RMA, I appreciate the thought, that would be helpful but yes quite a journey! I'd be very interested in your feedback after the test though - I'm pretty busy at the moment and doubt I'll have made any progress on a purchase within the next couple of weeks. I assume then that the exhaust doesn't cause you any frustration in day to day use?!

Thanks.

John

10 hours ago, BlueJ said:

Hello All

Thanks very much for the feedback and info - much appreciated. I'll look at @DAW's old thread then get in touch with TWG. Appreciate that I can't expect anything changed to be covered, but I'm just after something from the warranty provider to support the rest of the cover. Local dealer is Stockport (who are great to deal with) but if they're not familiar with the system I have no problem taking a trip to Cheltenham (I won't be doing this DIY).

@Big Rat - thanks for your input, I may well be in touch as I have no issue buying used vs. new.

Thanks again.

John

I had to speak to an area manager at TWG who was my dealerships warranty claims contact - don’t bother calling via the main contact route as they are unable to help.  Your local dealer will probably be happy to provide their contact if my dealer is anything to go by. 

I was happier getting Lexus to fit the exhaust to be belt & braces from the warranty perspective, but I also found it helped simplify things to be able to say it was fitted by Lexus when getting insurance.

16 minutes ago, DAW said:

I had to speak to an area manager at TWG who was my dealerships warranty claims contact - don’t bother calling via the main contact route as they are unable to help.  Your local dealer will probably be happy to provide their contact if my dealer is anything to go by. 

I was happier getting Lexus to fit the exhaust to be belt & braces from the warranty perspective, but I also found it helped simplify things to be able to say it was fitted by Lexus when getting insurance.

Thanks @DAW, I found your original post on this last night and that is my intention: Lexus Stockport -> TWG area manager -> Stockport dealer fit if all is well. Like you I value dealer fit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlueJ said:

Hi @B1 RMA, I appreciate the thought, that would be helpful but yes quite a journey! I'd be very interested in your feedback after the test though - I'm pretty busy at the moment and doubt I'll have made any progress on a purchase within the next couple of weeks. I assume then that the exhaust doesn't cause you any frustration in day to day use?!

Thanks.

John

No problem, having lived with the exhaust for a few months now and of course the stage of driving with the windows open like a big kid just enjoying the sound  is a novelty that will probably never wear off. But at cold start up you and your immediate neighbours will know it's up and running it's not anti-social loud and as soon as you put it in gear it subdues.

One of the reasons I chose the RCF and paid attention to on the test drive was whether it could do longish motorway journeys in comfort, although I sold my big Luxo-Barge and fly if i have to do a long distance these days, but I have found a two hour continuous journey fine.

As I mentioned if you cruise at the motorway limit with a light touch on the throttle or even in cruise control the exhaust doesn't really intrude but if you press the throttle you know it's there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V8ORBUST said:

Delighted to say my RCF will be Quicksilver equipped when I pick her up next Thursday.... Vroom vroom 😁

Fair play - you don't mess about! Enjoy - look forward to your views once you've experienced it!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BlueJ said:

Fair play - you don't mess about! Enjoy - look forward to your views once you've experienced it!

Given the price I got it for I couldn’t say no, would have regretted not doing it and would have wasted money in the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Thanks, yes I've seen that one, both Armytrix and GT Haus seem to have dyno readouts for additional power created by their exhausts have Quicksilver got any figures?

4 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Thanks, yes I've seen that one, both Armytrix and GT Haus seem to have dyno readouts for additional power created by their exhausts have Quicksilver got any figures?

Not seen any figures published by them. You’d have thought if it made any sort of positive difference, they’d have published it in big figures on their product page. All I know is a 15kg (?) weight saving and a few extra dB.

• Like 1

Thanks to BigRat I now have a Quicksilver exhaust on the RCF. First impressions are that it’s a little louder inside the car under normal driving with the windows shut, but obviously a lot louder outside given the looks I got when accelerating up and over the Itchen bridge earlier. 

And it looks so much better on the car  

Thanks to Paul for dropping the exhaust off today. 

Just need an opportunity to clear its throat properly now.

917F6FBB-2C64-473F-8E48-6D2B9518C644.jpeg

• Like 4

Unlikely an axle back will add much. It might remove slight restriction. I dont think stock mufflers that restrictive as they use a resonator further a long .

A full system and headers could recover about 50hp lost to the cats.....but that's illegal.