Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Running / Ownership costs

My eldest lad is interested in buying an IS200 (he is 28) - i had one years ago and it was my first Lexus.

I have a few questions as i cant remember what the costs were...he is after a manual one (i had an automatic)

1. Whats the tax per year?

2, Whats the MPG (approx)

3. Anything to consider when buying the manual version - clutch etc

Pretty sure thats all.... thanks

Hiya, 

I've sold my Lexus now but the tax was £175 for 6 months / £300 for a year.

As for mpg I think about 28mpg, 300 miles out of a tank. 

As for things to check, make sure it's had a cam belt and water pump changed at its service schedule every 60k. And the front lower ball joints have been done, only replace with genuine Toyota parts. Only other thing is watch out if it has had a replacement pilkington windscreen as they used to leak water into the footwell and can cause electrical issues. This is rare on the later models though. 

I can't think of anything else. Just make sure it's serviced and it will last forever. 

Tax on  post 2001 cars currently stands at £325 for the year and you get between 22 and 30 miles per gallon depending on driving style and roads(higher on the motorway,lower round town)hoping this helps 

I’ve had mine for 13 years. I usually get around 400 miles from a tankful, mixed driving and not spirited (much). In all the time I’ve had it the only thing that’s needed replacing under the bonnet is the radiator, which is an easy job and cost me about £150 and a pleasant morning a couple of years ago. I also changed the water pump and ancillary belts while I was in there, although the the pump I took out looked fine. 148,000 on the clock of which I’ve done 147 of those.

It is by far the most reliable car I’ve ever owned. Oh, and the Mark Levinson sound system is lovely - I’ve added a Grom adapter for my Iphone for music and Bluetooth.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Pay extra attention to the condition of the sills of any potential cars. The rest of the body seems quite resilient against rust, but the area in front of the rear wheels is very prone to bubbling and eventually rotting.

Most MkI cars I see nowadays either have some corrosion there, or have been cheaply repaired with an unsightly steel plate to get through an MOT as fixing it properly can be quite expensive.

I believe the sunroof and poor drainage is the cause, and most ISs come with a sunroof as standard.
My own car succumbed to this when I had an IS200, despite otherwise being in excellent condition, so it's something I always look out for whenever I see a 1st-gen car out and about.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi  I purchased my IS 200 sport June 2001, it has 168,750 miles on the clock. I do lots of motorway driving and I am on the original clutch. I have had the radiator changed 5 years ago and ball joints and some suspension parts. Most parts I buy from a breaker/repair guy in Birmingham for suspension bits.

My rear sill is showing small bubbling on the drivers side and the sunroof roof rubbers inside have deteriorated. On Facebook there are some good groups offering advice on IS 200's.

I have a regular service of the engine oil, every 8,000 miles and recently had transmission, gearbox oil changed, which came out clear! Body work is great to date and I drive below 80 miles an hour mostly on the motorway, not to tax the engine which is still silky smooth, a superb model.

Good luck 

Facebook.png