Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking sensor issue

Gediredi

DON'T use WD40 for anything except cleaning glue from stickers or Cellotape from surfaces. It isn't a lubricant, in fact it solidifies into a black solid mess when it dries. You need something that will keep the slight movement required between the sensor inner and outer as it needs to be, Vaseline or silicone spray is ideal as it takes years to degrade. 

WD40 should be banned as a lubricant and water repellent as it only works for a few minutes. I used it on the points in my motorcycle once and after ten minutes the engine stopped, the black residue completely insulated the contacts and had to be removed with emery cloth. 

• 1 month later...

Guys I have a Lexus ES Oct 2019 and it has just developed this problem with the flashing lights and and beeping. I phoned LEXUS Belfast and was told that the dealers are aware of this problem and said it occurs in the UX as well. They said it was due to the over-sensitive sensors and what they do is they bring the cars in that have the fault and blew the sensors with a high pressure airline which blows the damp out of them. It didn’t appear that they had a solution but they said I could try putting a spot of wax on them...that might help...but they weren’t sure. Especially when I told them that car had an all over treatment of G-techque. I got the impression that they don’t know what to suggest for the best. I think the Vaseline idea sounds the best but I think I will try and blow them dry with a car drying vac which I bought last year from amazon and then smear a small portion of Vaseline.....I cant see it doing it much harm...worth a go ...better than putting up with the bleeping and the flashing lights (really annoying).

My last two LEXUS IS never had this problem but apart from this annoying problem I just love my Lexus ES which averages 50 to 59 mpg...just amazing. I would have been lucky if I got 28 mpg and the ES a bigger car and much cheaper to insure

9394A1BB-E2C8-4E55-A34D-89B7D2323313.jpeg

1A30F65C-A3A5-41D5-A2E3-2171FAB21E50.jpeg

Before I start complaining again I have to say this is the best driving  experience i have had in my 46 years of driving. Been driving Toyota since 1981 and Nissan for a few years before that. However, having put a good portion of my pension payout into this Lexus 300h  I am not impressed by flashing yellow lights on the dash when I hit a shower of rain  in the West of Ireland. (We get a bit of rain here from time to time). Lexus took my car back, replaced sensors (so I'm  told) and installed software update. Situation improved but not fixed. Sensors kicking off again. What to do? The car is a year old now. Do I just go with whatever they suggest again until it's too old to follow through? or talk to a solicitor? I don't  need the hassle at this stage of my life! Why should I have to try Vaseline or wd40 as a fix for a €50,000 car from what's  supposed to be a luxury car brand? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just posting a last (hopefully) update. Since the dealer took back the car for a week I've only had one outbreak of sensor issue in rain. So, since last February/March the car has been absolutely perfect and I've driven through some serious rain. Very happy with the outcome. Very happy with the car. Will buy same again or, hopefully, a full EV version whenever it becomes available.

In summary - if you don't get satisfaction from the dealer go to the national distribution agent and make a nuisance of yourself! That's what I did and I'm happy with the outcome.

As regards this forum - it was really good to know I was not alone.

Bye!

So CHX, what did they do to fix it? I have used the Vaseline fix as suggested and haven’t had any problems but then I haven’t been driving it that much since Lockdown. So I would be interested to hear how the dealers fixed it. I know you said that they changed the sensors and updated the software...was it that that fixed it? I agree with you that it is a brilliant car to drive but I don’t know whether I would buy a EV version....way to big and I can’t see the range being impressive ( it is certainly not that great in the Lexus UX)

5 hours ago, Gediredi said:

Since I put some silicone spray (not WD40!) on mine months ago I have not had a problem at all.

What do you call the spray and where can I purchase it as I have also got he same problem.....I thought it had been fixed when I put vaseline onto the sensors but today drove the car for about  25 miles and the whole time the warning came on the whole....real pain in the neck. As you can see I asked CHX what did Lexus do to fix his problem...something about a software update but didn't return this thread to answer the question. So I would be grateful if you could give details of the spray that you bought so that I try your fix....thanks

17 hours ago, kerrso05 said:

What do you call the spray and where can I purchase it as I have also got he same problem.....I thought it had been fixed when I put vaseline onto the sensors but today drove the car for about  25 miles and the whole time the warning came on the whole....real pain in the neck. As you can see I asked CHX what did Lexus do to fix his problem...something about a software update but didn't return this thread to answer the question. So I would be grateful if you could give details of the spray that you bought so that I try your fix....thanks

Flomasta silicon spray from Screwfix.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-silicone-spray-200ml/6699x

20200926_183305.jpg

Just wondered if the problem might be the rubber seal hardening? Any thoughts on cleaning the rubber with Autoglym vinyl and rubber care? This stuff really softens hardened rubber door seals. Then afterwards spray with silicone spray.

Just a thought if this problem persists and the dealer can't solve the issue. Very annoying on a new car.

I think you could be right but could Autoglym penetrate through the small rubber ring round the sensor?

Why I think like you that it could be the rubbers hardening is because I got Gtechniq ceramic coating done on my car before I took delivery of it. So instead of protecting it looks like it may have made things much worse. 

I wonder have others that have had this problem with the sensors had also got a ceramic coating or similar coating of protection

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Absolutely no need to get personal Ged !  (lol)

Good old fashioned British double entendre (pun intended there).

Brought up on it with Carry On films and latterly Vizio. Can't beat it.

• Like 1

Gediredi, I know it was only one sensor in your case but others may have had got a ceramic treatment on their car. It does appear to be something to do with the rubber seals and maybe the ceramic coating may harden the rubber. I know I am only guessing but it's worth investigating. I suspect when they were coating my car they probably coated the sensors

I think I will try the Autoglym on the rubber and then follow up with the silicone....it's worth trying

2 hours ago, Gediredi said:

Good old fashioned British double entendre (pun intended there).

Brought up on it with Carry On films and latterly Vizio. Can't beat it.

Damn autocorrect! VIZ of course! Finbarr Saunders Side James and Charles Hawtrey are the corner stones of my humour!

9 hours ago, kerrso05 said:

I think you could be right but could Autoglym penetrate through the small rubber ring round the sensor?

Why I think like you that it could be the rubbers hardening is because I got Gtechniq ceramic coating done on my car before I took delivery of it. So instead of protecting it looks like it may have made things much worse. 

I wonder have others that have had this problem with the sensors had also got a ceramic coating or similar coating of protection

I don't think Autoglym will do any harm, it seems to nourish the rubber and soften it. Could be a simple fix. Then silicone spray?

Please let us know anyone if you try it.

Hi again.

Just to say that the problem seems to have been cured in my case by replacement of sensors and software update. At least that's  what I was told by the Irish distributor. I didn't  try any home remedies as I was determined to follow the thing through by way of insisting on the issue being corrected under the guarantee. I think I may have tried a little Vaseline to no effect. The car was coated with a sunscreen resistant, smudge resistant screen as part of the purchase deal. I didn't  ask what the technical name was for it.

Is it possible that the coating that you got done to the car may have hardened the rubber ring around the sensors which made them faulty? I'm beginning to think this could be the problem because you would think that all sensors fitted to these cars would go faulty but that isn't the case. The ceramic coating I got done was very expensive at £750 + and the nature of ceramic coating is to harden everything and make water run off surfaces which is not what rubber is to do but flexible

I agree, kerrso05, it's very possible that the coating could have hardened the rubber rings but I just don't know. I think the coating plus an upholstery protection treatment would ordinarily cost €1,000 here (or about £750) but I got it as part of the purchase deal. The dealer and distributor weren't very forthcoming in discussion over what may have been the cause of the problem. I didn't push them very much once I got a commitment from them that they would fix it. At this point in time the problem seems to have been fixed for me. I haven't seen very many ES300h's on the road in my travels here so the population may not be big enough to show any sign of a problem in Ireland. I haven't come across any Irish owners with a similar problem in my internet searches.

Well I'm one because I live in Northern Ireland...lol

I would agree with you that there aren't too many of ES' s about....I think I have only seen one other up here and it was a light blue one

I honestly do think this might be the problem where the ceramic coating hardens the rubber and maybe it makes the sensor malfunction. I am hoping in the next couple of days try the Autoglym on the rubber rings and then follow up with the silicone. I'll let you all know how I get on but obviously it will take some to see if it works. (I did try the baseline suggestion and it seemed to work for a couple of months)

Just scrolling back over the posts I notice your ES is Oct 19. Is this not still covered by guarantee and why are you trying to solve the problem rather than the dealer and/or distributor? I'm not being clever or sarcastic but my attitude is I paid money for a new car and any problem that arises within guarantee is not my problem, it's the dealer's or, failing that, the distributor's. I kept after them until they took in my car and gave me a new test drive ES for a week while they sorted it. I sent them some postings from this site as proof that I was not alone! I didn't shout or kick any doors but I simply told them I was not going away until they sorted it. I also told them I was quite willing to talk to solicitors if necessary. The blue car looks very well! Mine's black. I think the dark colours accentuate the chrome very nicely.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links