Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking sensor issue

Gediredi

Interesting to see with the return of regular heavy rain sees this issue being reported more frequently. Personally I reapplied my silicon spray the other week as I had a reoccurrence and its been OK since apart from yesterday it had a one second blip where it came on but went away of its own accord. No problems today!

Personally I also doubt its a software issue, I smell BS there!

I also had an IS previous to this ES, for four years, and had only one instance, when an actual leaf was stuck on the sensor!

I would be interested to know if this issue also happens on the Toyota brand version of the ES, the Camry?

This problem is very annoying and is making me think again about getting another Lexus...

• Like 1

Bernard the more I hear about this the more I think the problem lies with the protection....it seems to harden the rubber seal around the sensors which causes them to emit false warnings.....so if I was you I would ask the garage to blast air into the sensors and get them to remove the protection (Ceramic coating) around the rubber seals of the sensors and coat the sensors with a thin layer of silicon or vaseline. You say you did the vaseline trick (and I suspect it didn't work) but did you try to remove the protection just around the sensors (the rubber seals don't need a ceramic coating)? Certainingly you can try the software update but I really don't see how a software update will fix this because it's not every sensor on the cars that is causing the problem and not all sensors reported here are in the same position. In the past I have had two IS cars and none of them every gave this problem but the other two didn't get Full Body Ceramic Protection

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Same problem here MY19. The message comes up "Parking Assist Unavailable, Clean Parking Assist Sensor", which I obviously did and it reoccurred a couple of times since. There is no paint protection (other than wax) applied to the car. 

Since it does indicate which of the parking sensors is faulty it is difficult to de-bug. I have had a number of bad parking sensors that I replaced myself (one in CT and two in RX), but this time it just flags the whole system error and I cannot tell which one is the faulty one. 

Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix it? Other than taking the car to the dealer, obviously. 

6 hours ago, Walus said:

Same problem here MY19. The message comes up "Parking Assist Unavailable, Clean Parking Assist Sensor", which I obviously did and it reoccurred a couple of times since. There is no paint protection (other than wax) applied to the car. 

Since it does indicate which of the parking sensors is faulty it is difficult to de-bug. I have had a number of bad parking sensors that I replaced myself (one in CT and two in RX), but this time it just flags the whole system error and I cannot tell which one is the faulty one. 

Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix it? Other than taking the car to the dealer, obviously. 

Have you tried drying the sensors and blowing hot air from say a hair dryer (from a distance) to make certain they are fully dry and then either putting a thin layer of silicon or vaseline ( now I mean a thin layer) on the sensors? This has worked for me for nearly two years and just recently after a real downpour I got the "Warning Notice". It went away without doing anything further but I know this small hack worked for me. It could be a faulty sensor but it's worth trying this with the vaseline or the silicon

I haven’t used silicon as I’m not sure which sensor is triggering the error. I recon the issue is to do with the two front centre ones as they are held in a different bezel and are not completely flush with it. I think that  the error could be caused not so much because of faulty sensor but because of faulty reading as droplets of water interfere with the membrane of the sensor. I don’t have the time to pop the bumper cover out and take out the sensors but I’ll keep an eye on it and report what I find out.

Well why don't you just dry the sensors and quickly put a very small smear of vaseline on all of them....we are only talking about a five minute job. It worked for me and it lasted about two years. Mind you I blamed the ceramic coating that was put on my car just before I bought the car in 2019 new. Its worth a go at least, it certainly wont cause any harm. I take it the error has now stopped?

The error is intermittent so far. I have noticed that when there is no surface water gathering at the bottom of the sensor’s membrane, there is no error. Need time to see if that is just a coincidence or an actual reason for this problem.

The Vaseline certainly works for me,the issue is in a number of the forums, the common denominator for me is heavy rain, I have never been sure which sensor is the issue, other than it is at the front. 

So by simply applying to them all saves time & as I am not in the least technical has been the ideal solution !!

When the issue first arose I was so grateful to the forum or it would have been a trip to the workshop.

Thanks malcolmw for your confirmation of the vaseline hack.......it worked for me, as well. In my case I believe the ceramic coating that I had done by the dealer hardened the rubber seal around the sensors and the vaseline or Silcone helps to bring back the flexibility to the rubber that the sensors need....plus it's probably less than a five minute job. I don't know about your sensors but mine only went off intermittently (usually after a real downpour).....but that is not happening now. I just love my Lexus ES....I was going to get rid of it this year and test drove a Tesla Y and although it drove very well it just wasn't up to the quality of my ES so I have decided to hold onto it Plus there is only about 10400 miles on it and for a 2019 car that is nothing (barely run in). I test drove the Lexus NX but I was less than impressed by it's mpg which for the ES is between 43 to 53mpg (NX was 30 to 36 mpg) and my car tax is £160 against the NX's £500 a year. So putting on a smear of vaseline every couple of years is absolutely nothing for an ES owner.

+1 on the Vaseline. I had three sensors replaced and the problem recurred earlier this summer in very heavy rain, I got a tissue and could actually absorb water from the tiny gap around the sensor. I did it until no more came out on the tissue and applied the Vaseline - and haven't had a problem since. I will reapply to all sensors - it's the way forward! Bonkers they can't fix it though. Lexus - REALLY!? 🙄

1 minute ago, Steve Oliver said:

+1 on the Vaseline. I had three sensors replaced and the problem recurred earlier this summer in very heavy rain, I got a tissue and could actually absorb water from the tiny gap around the sensor. I did it until no more came out on the tissue and applied the Vaseline - and haven't had a problem since. I will reapply to all sensors - it's the way forward! Bonkers they can't fix it though. Lexus - REALLY!? 🙄

Totally agree....the vaseline is only a temporary hack, it works but you would think that Lexus would have a permanent fix by now but unfortunately they still haven't addressed it. I think some Toyota models have this problem as well

50 minutes ago, Walus said:

Thanks lads.

I’ve Shin-Etsu silicone grease that I use for the seals around doors etc. will use that on the sensors. 

well that should do the job but just remember to only put a very light coating on them and if you can just try and blow any water out of the sensors

1 hour ago, Walus said:

Thanks lads.

I’ve Shin-Etsu silicone grease that I use for the seals around doors etc. will use that on the sensors. 

Brilliant stuff. You've had a Honda, haven't you? My tube got lost in the move, where'd you buy the stuff here in the UK from? Had mine from the states and was much cheaper than what I'm finding online. Cheapest tube is 18.50 from cox motor parts, more than double US prices.

5 minutes ago, peniole said:

Brilliant stuff. You've had a Honda, haven't you? My tube got lost in the move, where'd you buy the stuff here in the UK from? Had mine from the states and was much cheaper than what I'm finding online. Cheapest tube is 18.50 from cox motor parts, more than double US prices.

How about this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403069215118?hash=item5dd8cc218e:g:V7wAAOSwLv9hFow1

a bit expensive when vaseline (cheap as chips) does the same job...but hey if you have the money this is the cheapest I have found

4 minutes ago, peniole said:

It is very good indeed, and yes I had a Honda. I think I got it on amazon but they should have the same only branded at Honda dealerships. Yeah, it is expensive but worth it imo.

17 hours ago, kerrso05 said:

There is a reason why silicone products are more expensive. They are designed not to react with other materials. On the other hand while considerably cheaper, vaseline is petroleum based and as far as I know rubber and petroleum and it’s derivatives don’t go well together.

As an alternative, I could recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-3312-Silicon-Grease-Clear/dp/B00295DBQE/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2JKAFB1ZC3AYU&keywords=silicone+grease&qid=1668090630&sprefix=silicone+%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-11

• Like 2

Fair enough I'm just trying to help to save you some money and deal with a problem you have with intermittent false warnings but if you want to spend the guts of £57+ on a product....that's fine. Of course I know Vaseline is a petroleum based product but I'm not talking about putting loads of it on, just a gentle smear. Some people (using vaseline) on here have had up to 4 years of no false warnings whereas I have only had 2 years of warning free incidents. Plus I have used vaseline on my lips and it hasn't done me any harm but as I say this is only a forum for tips from other Lexus users and if you decide not to take these tips on board....that's totally fine.

• Like 1

The problem returned this morning. This time however it is very much clear as to which sensor is faulty. Will have to replace it.

This us a third Lexus that I owned that needs a new parking sensor. Very disappointing. 

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links