Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking sensor issue

Gediredi

I've experienced this problem once or twice too. Usually in very heavy rain but then clears at the next power cycle. What's especially annoying is not only the flashing yellow lights, but also the pop-up message in the display which reappears about 10 seconds after pressing the "back" button on the steering wheel. I am coming up to my 20k service so I might mention it then - I guess if more people are reporting it then hopefully they get the message there might be an issue!

That can happen very easily. I almost reversed into a wall recently while the lights were flashing. Thought that it was just the front sensors that were out of action but apparently the full parking system goes down. 

Sent off a couple of mildly ill tempered emails last night. Got phone  calls today from the dealer and Customer Relations, Lexus Ireland. It seems they're sending a technical guy from the Dublin HQ to meet me. I hope to meet him in the local pub. He can buy. Will update in due course.

Sensors kicked off again today when the weather was damp but not raining. Must have switched off the beeper at least 10 times in as many minutes while driving around town today. Drove for about 45 minutes in the same conditions later tonight with no problem. Cannot figure out a pattern apart from moisture being involved. Possible problem with rubber seals maybe.

Yesterday and today it was happening again and again. I took it to the local Lexus dealer and showed them the videos. 

To be fair they immediately acknowledged there is a known problem and confirmed it is also happening on the NX.

Bad news is there is NO FIX!

He said Lexus are aware and looking into it but he also said replacing my suspect sensor as I suggested would not work as they already tried it.

He also suggested silicon spray might help but ultimately left it as waiting and putting up with it until Lexus technical come up with a solution.

• Thanks 1

Not good. Haven't heard anything more on my side. Looks like we'ii have to keep up a campaign of harrassment with a view to getting some compensation or an extra special trade in before the warranty expires.

I took the plunge and got some silicon spray and cleaned and dried the sensors and sprayed no 3 that seems to be the troublesome one. It seems to function ok right now but it's been dry since. Will keep you informed.

Well it's been pretty dry since so no way to tell but I can confirm there have been no adverse affects since, it's all working normally as it should. Im sure it wont be long till the next deluge!

• Thanks 1

Same here. Got a call from Lexus Ireland HQ. Said they will replace all forward sensors and take the car off me for a few days to check it out and give me a loan car. May not happen before Xmas. Said no problem provided they come through with the car loan. I've had enough drinking coffee and watching daytime TV in the dealer's reception

Was told your video of the stop in  rain on the M1 was very helpful. What else would they say. Hang in there.

If nothing happens in the meantime Happy Christmas if it's ok to say that in these pc times

No offence meant to anyone

Well its rained somewhat on and off though not necessarily a deluge like previous times, but since I sprayed sensor 3 it's all been perfect.

Will inform if it goes off again but to me it leaves 2 questions.

1.) If it's only sensorn3 that's a problem surely this actually proves that its faulty and should be replaced under warranty? Rather than "oh well it's working so never mind" because of..

2.) How long will this spray last? Hard to imagine it will last for the rest of the cars life... so should I carry the spray around with me for the rest of that time?

Brings me back to the point of poor customer service...

I will give it a bit longer then speak to Lexus Stockport arguing that sensor 3 should be replaced but I bet I can guess what the answer will be!

• Thanks 1

Had this issue for the first time this morning on our May 2019 NX. I had the car washed on Monday by the local handwash station using pressure washers etc. We then went on a 10 mile journey on Tuesday in drizzle with no issues.

It was just slightly frosted this morning and the warning about park sensors came on straight away. We stopped just up the road and I wiped and dried the sensors (all round) with a tissue. This restored the normal operation of the sensors and this continued throughout our 20 mile dry trip today.

I will see what happens tomorrow. The car has G3 Glasscoat.

So an update on my sensor issues. The car went in for it’s 10k service last week. Before it went in there were really playing up in the rain or just a very damp morning. I asked the dealer ahead of the service to look at them. They did and couldn’t find any faults.

However since the service I haven't had an issue with them at all! This includes heavy rain etc...

Maybe your’s will magically repair themselves after a service:-)

No improvement yet. Rain most days with flashing dash lights and beeping parking sensors. The same on a day after rain. At least I can turn off the beep but it keeps repeating.Sensors are practically useless most of the time as they are over sensitive (bad) or they're not actually working(worse). 

Dealer could not find any fault or a record of a fault on the system at the first service. 

Will keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had the same with mine. Went to the dealer, said the sensor needed resetting probably. I think this is rubbish. As always the problem didn't occur when I was at the dealership.

Last couple of weeks it didn't occur anymore, it had a maintenance service for hitting the 50.000 km mark (sorry i'm from the mainland).

Personally this is the very first car I even have problems with sensors like this, and I don't get it, as Lexus should be a premium brand. The rubbish the dealer told me I don't buy it, but maybe, who knows they solved it with software update or something? These kind of problems shouldn't occur in my opinion with a brand like this.......

• Like 1

Meteoro - as posted above, a bit of silicon spray seems to have cured mine - I only needed to do it on one troublesome sensor. I do believe Lexus are aware of the issues and are certainly discussing amongst themselves at dealer level (I saw a group chat on someones phone whilst at the Lexus dealer actually discussing the problems!) while at the same time telling customers that more or less they are the only people experiencing the issue and they have not heard of it before!

Agreed about the Lexus premium brand shouldnt have this kind of problem. I have had VWs for years and never once had this issue.

I tried the WD40 on the NX but no improvement. However, I later tried the Vaseline trick and have had no further issues. I pressure washed the car this morning and all was OK afterwards so I can vouch for this simple fix. 

• Thanks 1

Lexus took my car in a couple of weeks ago to replace sensors and update some software. Tech guy from Lexus Ireland met with me and the dealer and explained that they have been having some problems in this respect with UX or NX (forget which he mentioned). Said they had that problem solved but this was the first ES where they had a problem. (Do I believe him?) In any case they gave me a 20 reg ES for a week and the tech guy kept my car to check it out. Told me he had driven in some heavy rain without a problem after the fix. He had already told me the sensors acted up when he first sat in the car before the fix. Anyway, everything ok for the past week but I haven't driven in rain and I power washed the car today without a problem. Having said that the car was two to three months old before the problem occurred originally so I'll wait a little longer before final judgement. If all ok I'll post again in a couple of months. Hope you don't hear from me in the meantime! Hope you all get sorted. Great to be able to discuss this with other like minded people.

Tried WD40 - didn't work. Didn't reach for the vaseline!

Con

• 3 weeks later...