Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Annoying noise from Dash

Gediredi

Does anyone else get an annoying noise from behind the dash when low speed manoevering /braking (e.g. when parking)? How to describe? Like a "UURRRrrrr" noise.

Quite loud really and everyone comments on it - wondering if its just my car or not now.

Hi Ged

Your car is very new model so owners with problem may be very limited.

I would take it back to the supplying dealer and speak to them - perhaps get them to drive yours to see what they think and then drive one of their cars to see if you notice the same.

From experience on here the GS450H is know to have the creaking dash problem which some owners have fixed by stuffing strips of foam around the dash where it meets the car body.

hope this helps

Chap, does it last for about a second or so?  Sounds like part of the hybrid system , my IS300H used to make that noise and so does my ES.  It is quite loud which is suprising with the amount of sound deadening in the bulkhead. 

Sounds like it might be the brake pressure pump, rebuilding pressures in the accumulator. Should do it after every so many pedal applications. One only notices it at very low speed. Sometimes does it when opening the driver's door.

Yes last about a second or so and yes if I had to guess I would say it's something to do with the brakes.. i.e. seems to happen on brake pedal presses. Definitely not creaking it's a mechanical sound.

Never heard it on any other car before!

Only on hybrids (and some older Mercs with SBC ) it's required as there is no vacuum assistance as in 'normal' cars because the internal combustion engine doesn't run all the time.

16 hours ago, Gediredi said:

Does anyone else get an annoying noise from behind the dash when low speed manoevering /braking (e.g. when parking)? How to describe? Like a "UURRRrrrr" noise.

Quite loud really and everyone comments on it - wondering if its just my car or not now.

Yes, I do. Dunno if it is the same noise or not. I've had the car since February and it didn't do it until the last few weeks. I'm wondering if it's related to the aircon as it sometimes stops if I switch off the aircon, but, other times it does not stop until switching off the ignition. It's not the vacuum assistance as I have always heard that at about a minute or two after switching off. Very strange, there's no movement on the dash displays or clocks.

• 4 weeks later...

I put it down to "hybrids make weird noises" and it does not bother me. 

What did bother me was a rattle from the dash that was coming from the sunroof.  The dealer has mostly got rid of that. But it was temperature sensitive.  Above 20C it really did not happen.

So 3,000kms in (we embrace the metric system here in Ireland) and with the infuriating rattle mostly sorted, (wait till winter . Fingers crossed), I am liking the car a lot. I wanted more space and I was tired of sliding around the place in the rwd IS.

The car is generally very quiet.  Don't get the noise comments about CVT. Flicked it into Sport today to nail it past an artic , very little fuss and went from 70kph to 115kpk  in the length of the artic. That is plenty fast.