Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Phone holder suggestions

Not quite what you were asking but after quite a bit of research I settled on this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L92L76X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it fitted in my IS300h on the vent to the right hand side of the wheel.  I have an Iphone 8 plus and put magnet towwards the bottom of the back of the phone. It holds securely and exactly where I want it. Even enough room to rotate if needed. 

2 hours ago, 200h said:

and on the rare time i need

sat nav i use the bult in nav.

The built-in nav is absolutely abysmal so I never use it. Much prefer Waze on my phone.

• Like 1

the point of sat nav is to get you to your destination , the lexus nav has never failed on this level for me,

what more does a sat nav need to do.

I don’t use the built in Nav as it is slow to start and difficult to use for short commutes in traffic. Google maps/Waze on a phone is faster with accurate traffic info when commuting. For long journeys where time isn’t an issue, the built in is acceptable. 

the point of sat nav is to get you to your destination , the lexus nav has never failed on this level for me,

If I am doing a long journey then it’s handy, I’ll load up my journey from my Lexus and be on my way.
If I’m local and I just want to see the destination then it’s not as good as google maps etc. And I find it slow to load and clunky to navigate. My wife has a 2009 bmw and that nav is much smoother and user friendly.

Most of the time my nav is not in the screen

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, 200h said:

Be easy to operate, be intuitive rather than counter-intuitive and clunky.

It works, but it's slow and everything you need in a satnav can be done quicker, easier and better by Waze or Google Maps on the phone.

Waze users also have the facility to warn other drivers of problems on the road and the updates are pushed out very quickly - even as quickly as two minutes as you can see by the picture below.

You can also integrate the What 3 Words app into Waze/Google Maps but not the Lexus satnav. This is great for finding places where a postcode covers too large an area or is vague. W3W has broken down the whole world into 3m x 3m squares, which means that it's so accurate that the back door of your house has a different 3 word reference to the front door.

2019-02-01.thumb.png.f4ad0e6c39d41a90063aa64c6301a45c.png

22 hours ago, Herbie said:

Waze users also have the facility to warn other drivers of problems on the road

Google Maps now has this functionality.

Only as of recently (in the last few months).

Seeing as Waze was acquired by Google a number of years ago, and now this feedback function is a part of Google Maps, I question the need for Waze anymore.

Google Maps interface looks far better than Waze. Even without the feedback functionality in Google, I kept using it.

Both are miles better than the Lexus interface.

• Like 1

"Waze users also have the facility to warn other drivers of problems on the road and the updates are pushed out very quickly - even as quickly as two minutes as you can see by the picture below"

Herbie, I was very interested in your comment as shown above and, because I am not a particularly 'with-it' chappie when it comes to the techie stuff, I was wondering how you would notify other drivers of impending roadworks/problems etc via your Waze app.  Presumably if you need to punch info into your phone to be passed on, you will need to stop driving for a few minutes or am I, as usual, completely out of touch as to how it's done.

From my own point of view, I have always found my in-car SatNav to be perfectly adequate for my needs.  The only thing that I miss with my current car is not having the up-coming turns appear in the area where the speedo/tacho is situated.  Then again there are a number of things that I miss by only having the Luxury version as opposed to the Premier.

You're right Geoff, you do need to input details into your phone so depending on the situation, if you're already stationary (traffic jam) you could do it or if not, then it's either stop to do it yourself, get a passenger to do it, or don't bother.

As with a lot of things in life, the system is only as good as its users, but even with its drawbacks it's still a gazillion times better than the Lexus nav in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going with the CD slot mount.

I use my phone for google maps in the car, the standard nav is pretty poor - usually tells me there is traffic when I'm already stuck in it!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going with the CD slot mount.

I use my phone for google maps in the car, the standard nav is pretty poor - usually tells me there is traffic when I'm already stuck in it!

When you get it can you post up some pics and give some feedback on the item.
Cheers

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

When you get it can you post up some pics and give some feedback on the item.
Cheers

Have a look at my posting (think it's 5th one down) in this topic here:

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 10:36 AM, bluenose1940 said:

The only thing that I miss with my current car is not having the up-coming turns appear in the area where the speedo/tacho is situated.

Geoff, you should be able to view the up-coming turns in the small screen between rev counter/eco meter and speedo. I say should, because your model is different to mine.

You should just need to cycle to the appropriate screen using the steering wheel button on the right hand side.