Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Approved Used Car - Maximum Warranty Length

Hi All,

I’m going to be returning to Lexus life in the next few weeks, my intention is to buy an approved used car.

Does anyone know the maximum length of warranty that can be added by the dealer? 

The car will be a 2013-15.

i know I could phone and ask but I’d like to hear about other people’s experiences.

CC

As far as I know, but may be wrong, it's 10 years or 100k miles. However, I think I've seen people say that if you go in at 9yrs 11months you can take out another warranty?

Probably completely wrong but I'm sure someone will correct me.

One thing I do know for sure is that the hybrid Battery is now covered up to 15 years as long as it's had an annual hybrid health check done.

• Like 1

Funny you should ask this as I got an email today, asking me if I wanted to extend mine. It’s 10 years and 140,000 miles according to Lexus Cambridge.

They’re also offering two years for the price of one, which is mighty tempting.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve seen the 2yrs for the price of one, but can you buy a 3 year warranty? Or do they expect you to buy another year every year, unless it’s 2 for 1, then it’s every 2 years 🤔

• Like 1

I've had 3 Lexus during the last 6 years.  The two for one offer has always been on for that time.  In March I renewed the warranty on my RX for a further 2 years.  I think the only way you can get 3 years is if you get a 12 month warranty from the dealer and I believe you can opt to purchase the 2 year addition at that time too. 

2 hours ago, Eame64 said:

Just about to extend mine again as well.

I haven't received any paperwork or assistance cards yet despite having made 2 payments and existing warranty expired last Thursday. I rang them and they said it would automatically continue but they don't send out the paperwork and cards for 10 days! Just so you don't wonder why nothing arrives initially. 

• Like 1

I should probably add Ive been running a number of Lexus vehicles outside of the warranty period.

My 05 RX I had for 8 years with no issues, the 12 RX for 5 years, again no issues out of warranty, my wife's IS300h is 6 years old, no issues as of yet and finally my current RX's warranty ran out in January and I didn't bother renewing.

As you can probably guess, I don't think the warranty is worth it!

8 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I should probably add Ive been running a number of Lexus vehicles outside of the warranty period.

My 05 RX I had for 8 years with no issues, the 12 RX for 5 years, again no issues out of warranty, my wife's IS300h is 6 years old, no issues as of yet and finally my current RX's warranty ran out in January and I didn't bother renewing.

I would agree, our old ones were faultless.  

But...this one will be doing 40-50k per year for the next 3yrs. I’m coming out the company car scheme and taking the cash. I was wondering if anyone had been able to secure a longer warranty than the 2yrs. In 2yrs time I may have passed 140k (depends on the starting mileage) so renewing might not be an option.

I may take it on risk and save money by not using the dealer network, the money could go in a rainy day fund. 

I do have faith that 200k can be achieved without major mechanical failure, unless you’re really unlucky or you don’t service the car.

Decisions decisions.

49 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I'd probably agree if We weren't the sort of people subject of the Alana Morissette song 'Isn't it ironic'. 

I'm the guy who had an Audi A4  2.8 Quattro bought new in1997 for £38,000 which less than 6 months out of warranty broke a camshaft due to metal fatigue at a cost of £3000 to repair. After a big fight with Audi it cost me £800 so that is why I'm happy to extend the warranty and why I'm anti VW Group vehicles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabcurtains said:

I would agree, our old ones were faultless.  

But...this one will be doing 40-50k per year for the next 3yrs. I’m coming out the company car scheme and taking the cash. I was wondering if anyone had been able to secure a longer warranty than the 2yrs. In 2yrs time I may have passed 140k (depends on the starting mileage) so renewing might not be an option.

I may take it on risk and save money by not using the dealer network, the money could go in a rainy day fund. 

I do have faith that 200k can be achieved without major mechanical failure, unless you’re really unlucky or you don’t service the car.

Decisions decisions.

Ofc does depend on what car it is too. I have greater faith in the RX as the mechanical parts are bomb proof and been going on since 2009 relatively unchanged. The IS300h leaves more of a doubt as its a more recent setup, although still reliable.

At that mileage, Id probably be going for a diesel anyway though with a longer service interval

Diesel, no chance 😫 🙂

EGR, DPF, Turbo, Injectors etc wont last the course. 

RX450h or a Merc ML, BMW X5 or Audi Q7, there’s really no contest when it comes to long term reliability and running costs IMO.

I have an X5 now and it does 33MPG in my hands, mostly motorway usage.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cabcurtains said:

Diesel, no chance 😫 🙂

EGR, DPF, Turbo, Injectors etc wont last the course. 

RX450h or a Merc ML, BMW X5 or Audi Q7, there’s really no contest when it comes to long term reliability and running costs IMO.

I have an X5 now and it does 33MPG in my hands, mostly motorway usage.

Well I mean the DPF would be fine lol thats the main issue with diesels. EGR is present on petrols too. Injectors shouldn't be an issue and turbos should be fine too really.

Having said that, you won't get much better in a 450h on the motorway. I only average about 30mpg most of the time

Best we agree to disagree, I work for a leasing company with 150,000+ vehicles and it’s fair to say diesels after a certain mileage will cause issues on all of the parts I mentioned. I get to see which cars have money left in their maintenance budgets and which don’t.

One thing that doesn’t seem to have ever happened though is a blocked EGR on a petrol engine 😜

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cabcurtains said:

Best we agree to disagree, I work for a leasing company with 150,000+ vehicles and it’s fair to say diesels after a certain mileage will cause issues on all of the parts I mentioned. I get to see which cars have money left in their maintenance budgets and which don’t.

One thing that doesn’t seem to have ever happened though is a blocked EGR on a petrol engine 😜

The thing is, you're question is regarding an extended warranty. Surely if you're considering an extended warranty on one of the most reliable brands available, you could just get a cheaper diesel estate of the same year and slap an extended warranty on that which would probably work out a lot cheaper than getting a 450h that does like 30mpg at the best of times realistically speaking. 

In either case, surely if you're getting a warranty it doesn't make a difference whether the car is reliable or not? 

The original reason for the question was to see if 3yr extended warranties are available on approved cars, this is to decide if it’s worth the dealer premium on the purchase cost and the subsequent service costs vs buying private or non franchised. That would save a fortune on servicing and a few thousand initially, but it wouldn’t come with any backup if a major component fails.

I think the savings out weigh the risk.

I’ve already been through the various cars that are alternates and I don’t want anything other than a Lexus when it’s my money.

2 hours ago, Cabcurtains said:

The original reason for the question was to see if 3yr extended warranties are available on approved cars, this is to decide if it’s worth the dealer premium on the purchase cost and the subsequent service costs vs buying private or non franchised. That would save a fortune on servicing and a few thousand initially, but it wouldn’t come with any backup if a major component fails.

I think the savings out weigh the risk.

I’ve already been through the various cars that are alternates and I don’t want anything other than a Lexus when it’s my money.

Right okay. 

So the answer to your original question is yes, Lexus can provide extended warranty on vehicles up to 140k and 10 years. The 2 for 1 offer essentially means you'd have to get 2 years to make it 3 if buying an approved used vehicle.

If buying a private/independent dealer vehicle you'd have to go for either 2 years or 4 years with that offer. 

With the extended warranty yes, servicing is Lexus only. If you're covering 40-50k a year you're going to need 4-5 services on the mileage scheme a year probably at a cost of roughly £2-3k. 

Another thing to bear in mind. I suspect the vehicle will be on 200k plus when being sold and a 2011 Lexus RX hybrid with high miles is extremely difficult to sell - essentially will be worth £5-10k at most in 3 years time 

Wow 40-50k miles a year in a RX? Blimey. That's,  as stated by rayaans, is 4-5 services a year.  A service every 5-6 weeks and a cost of a good few grand.

Yup I'd defo go diesel. Yes you've seen maintainance figures But you see cars from a lease company whose drivers probably don't drive them as if they were their own. I have friends with diesels that are now 8-10 years old and over 300k miles. A mix of ford vw and bm. No major problems on any of them. 

But anyway. You're in a position to get a fabulous car in the RX. Go for it and enjoy.

5 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Wow 40-50k miles a year in a RX? Blimey. That's,  as stated by rayaans, is 4-5 services a year.  A service every 5-6 weeks and a cost of a good few grand.

Yup I'd defo go diesel. Yes you've seen maintainance figures But you see cars from a lease company whose drivers probably don't drive them as if they were their own. I have friends with diesels that are now 8-10 years old and over 300k miles. A mix of ford vw and bm. No major problems on any of them. 

But anyway. You're in a position to get a fabulous car in the RX. Go for it and enjoy.

Welcome to my world, two meetings and some driving in the middle. My Diesel X5 is no better than the RX on fuel, plus petrol is cheaper.

Servicing every 4-5 weeks, are you sure?I’m thinking it’s more like 11-13 myself 😉

Out if curiosity why would you choose diesel?

ED6E0048-8FD1-4B09-86BC-F4F115485948.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Cabcurtains said:

Welcome to my world, two meetings and some driving in the middle. My Diesel X5 is no better than the RX on fuel, plus petrol is cheaper.

Servicing every 4-5 weeks, are you sure?I’m thinking it’s more like 11-13 myself 😉

Out if curiosity why would you choose diesel?

ED6E0048-8FD1-4B09-86BC-F4F115485948.jpeg

Think it may be to do with the fact its hauling 2 tonnes around?

Thats why I was thinking diesel estate if you need the space at that mileage. 40-50mpg would be quite cost effective I would think?

I see your logic, but my fuel is reclaimed at the relevant AFR rate, so it’s 14 pence max for diesel.

RX 450h as a 2ltr + petrol allows 22p.

Also unless it’s 2016 or newer the car would be Euro 5 which means paying for the London ULEZ and any other cities that follow their lead i.e Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham, Derby and Southampton.

Petrols only need to be Euro 4 to be exempt.

2 minutes ago, Cabcurtains said:

I see your logic, but my fuel is reclaimed at the relevant AFR rate, so it’s 14 pence max for diesel.

RX 450h as a 2ltr + petrol allows 22p.

Also unless it’s 2016 or newer the car would be Euro 5 which means paying for the London ULEZ and any other cities that follow their lead i.e Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham, Derby and Southampton.

Petrols only need to be Euro 4 to be exempt.

In that case, maybe an IS or NX would make more sense? Bear in mind the NX is almost as big as the third gen RX?