Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450 2010 sat nav update.

I’ve just acquired this rx450h and can’t fault it except the sat nav is rubbish. It seems to take me in the opposite direction by trying to turn me off on some really illogical directions. I know most sat navs are far from perfect but not this bad.

i thought an update might do the trick but Lexus want £180 and the car in for two hours. I don’t use the sat nav enough to justify it but would like it doing a better job.

it cant be brain surgery to DIY update can it? 

I see various software for sale but I can’t find enough details about the system In this car and how to update it. I know about the info in ‘map data’ but it’s not much help.

Any help much appreciated.

First of all, is it a DVD-based or hard drive-based system? Sounds like hard drive, hence why it has to go to Lexus, otherwise if it was just changing a DVD it obviously wouldn't take so long and could be done by you.

The bad news is that even with an update it will still be clunky, old, slow and counter-intuitive to use. I never use mine, just can't be doing with it. I used to use a TomTom but although I still have it, I much prefer to use Waze on my phone.

From what I have read and my own experience, I think the sat nav doesn't do justice to the car and I don't think an update will bring about a significantly different improvement.

I am intending to use my TomTom instead - it's a 6200 series with free road maps and speed camera warnings.  It worked well on my BMW E39 but the layout and shape of the dash on the RX make this more difficult, particularly with a large size aftermarket  unit. Herbs kindly suggested  a possible way of locating it by an adaptor that fits in the CD slot but that does mean you can't use your CD player. The set up is shown if you scroll down on replies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al32 said:

I’ve just acquired this rx450h and can’t fault it except the sat nav is rubbish. It seems to take me in the opposite direction by trying to turn me off on some really illogical directions. I know most sat navs are far from perfect but not this bad.

i thought an update might do the trick but Lexus want £180 and the car in for two hours. I don’t use the sat nav enough to justify it but would like it doing a better job.

it cant be brain surgery to DIY update can it? 

I see various software for sale but I can’t find enough details about the system In this car and how to update it. I know about the info in ‘map data’ but it’s not much help.

Any help much appreciated.

I use a tom-tom. I have it on the extreme right corner of the screen and avoid the lead trailing against my left leg by the use of a stuck on cable stay on the centre console side. I was using an extended 'truck' tomtom mount but it tendetto wobble around. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links