Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Close to joining the 300h club, but can't decide on the trim level

I've test driven more cars than I can list the past few weeks, but I ended up coming back to the IS300h at my local Lexus dealer yesterday.

This used option is 23,000 miles Premier trim for £18,995 (I believe it is 2013/14). However, something has happened on the back seats which has caused two tears/rips about 2/3 inches in length which would need to be repaired.

I went into the test drive saying that if I liked it, I probably would look to get one of the less packed models, because there's a lot of gadgetry I don't need which just adds to the price. However, I loved the memory seats, and how the cockpit almost felt like it moves out of your way when you shut down the car to get out. Bit of a gimmick, but I loved it.

I know this car has been stuck in their showroom for ages, and I'd like to get as close to 15k as possible, which I know would be a push.

Anyway, what is the general consensus on trim levels here? I like the exterior look of the F Sport, but not sure whether the harsher ride would get on my nerves or not. The base level model doesn't seem to come with much, so I think I'm wavering between F Sport or Premier. I would also prefer full leather seats to be honest, which I know is standard on the Premier.

Problem with Lexus changing their trim line-up recently is that it is difficult to see exactly what comes with what when it comes to the 2013/14 era 300h's

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

F Sport comes with memory seats so maybe that'll suffice. When I loaned a more basic model, I really missed the memory seats. If you haven't experienced it, you may not miss it, but if you have, you may really want them back.

£16K for a Premier seems a fair price if it's the age you say it is. More than that, I'd say it's not worth it. It's coming up to the end of Q2. Perhaps there's room for a steep discount if you can promise them you'll pay and collect before end of June.

48 minutes ago, matt8 said:

F Sport comes with memory seats so maybe that'll suffice. When I loaned a more basic model, I really missed the memory seats. If you haven't experienced it, you may not miss it, but if you have, you may really want them back.

£16K for a Premier seems a fair price if it's the age you say it is. More than that, I'd say it's not worth it. It's coming up to the end of Q2. Perhaps there's room for a steep discount if you can promise them you'll pay and collect before end of June.

Very good point RE: Q2.

I know a salesman who works at this dealer, and when I brought up the 15k, he said that any other car he'd probably do a deal. But this one the dealership have got too much into it to go as low as 15-16k. Presumably, they'd make a loss. So I guess it depends on how desperate they are to hit the Q2 targets.

I think the F Sport looks better to be honest. What are the actual differences though?

4 hours ago, ArcticPanda said:

Very good point RE: Q2.

I know a salesman who works at this dealer, and when I brought up the 15k, he said that any other car he'd probably do a deal. But this one the dealership have got too much into it to go as low as 15-16k. Presumably, they'd make a loss. So I guess it depends on how desperate they are to hit the Q2 targets.

I think the F Sport looks better to be honest. What are the actual differences though?

F-Sport is essentially an appearance/handling package so comes with different bumpers and wheels. Also has sport seats inside. Memory seats on the F-Sport are part of the Leather package. Essentially, if the F-Sport vehicle you look at has full leather seats, its got memory. The F-Sport also does not come with Blind spot monitor (not even an option) or Mark levinson stereo unless optioned on. The F-Sport also has a digital dash with a moving inner ring.

The suspension is slightly stiffer but is by no means harsh. 

Full leather seats are available on the Luxury model too, not sure whether they come with memory seats or not 

1 minute ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Advance trim has full leather heated/cooled seats with electric adjustment but not memory, also rear camera and parking sensors but only standard satnav.

Interesting. What do you mean by standard satnav? 

Think the Misses is set on having the memory function unfortunately. She liked how everything sort of "got out her way" when she turned the car off to get out. As obviously the wheel and seat go back to their neutral position. 

44 minutes ago, rayaans said:

F-Sport is essentially an appearance/handling package so comes with different bumpers and wheels. Also has sport seats inside. Memory seats on the F-Sport are part of the Leather package. Essentially, if the F-Sport vehicle you look at has full leather seats, its got memory. The F-Sport also does not come with Blind spot monitor (not even an option) or Mark levinson stereo unless optioned on. The F-Sport also has a digital dash with a moving inner ring.

The suspension is slightly stiffer but is by no means harsh. 

Full leather seats are available on the Luxury model too, not sure whether they come with memory seats or not 

Is the unique dash on the f sport any good? Or just different to standard? Worth getting? 

1 hour ago, ArcticPanda said:

Interesting. What do you mean by standard satnav? 

Think the Misses is set on having the memory function unfortunately. She liked how everything sort of "got out her way" when she turned the car off to get out. As obviously the wheel and seat go back to their neutral position. 

Standard sat nav is controlled using a rotary controller. The Premium satnav, which was an option in the F-Sport and Standard in the Premier was controlled using the remote touch device (joystick) and it also came with 2 additional speakers - better sound quality.

Is the unique dash on the f sport any good? Or just different to standard? Worth getting? 

Its a party piece and looks better IMO

7 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Standard sat nav is controlled using a rotary controller. The Premium satnav, which was an option in the F-Sport and Standard in the Premier was controlled using the remote touch device (joystick) and it also came with 2 additional speakers - better sound quality.

Its a party piece and looks better IMO

Ah! I assumed the little joystick type controller came on every car. I personally found it overly sensitive on up or down selections. Suppose it is something you get used to 

Lots to think about! Perfect scenario would be an F Sport with the leather pack. But that sounds like it'll be outside the budget. 

18 minutes ago, ArcticPanda said:

Ah! I assumed the little joystick type controller came on every car. I personally found it overly sensitive on up or down selections. Suppose it is something you get used to 

Lots to think about! Perfect scenario would be an F Sport with the leather pack. But that sounds like it'll be outside the budget. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905198126671

£15K, F Sport, Leather!

Not main dealer, but you might be surprised!

10 minutes ago, rayaans said:

This is more like it. Was targeting below 50k miles, but this might be good. Shame it doesn't have the cream leather, but beggers can't be choosers 

4 minutes ago, ArcticPanda said:

Very high mileage. Not much life left in it at that point surely? 

I was not suggesting buying this.

This was simply the first I found, a ten second search.

My point being, there are plenty out there that fit your budget. @rayaans has a much better for you above!

2 minutes ago, matt8 said:

I was not suggesting buying this.

This was simply the first I found, a ten second search.

My point being, there are plenty out there that fit your budget. @rayaans has a much better for you above!

On the topic though. What is deemed "high mileage" for the Lexus

We are looking to keep it going for at least 5 years. So want something low mileage enough to last that long. We do 10k a year usually

1 minute ago, matt8 said:

These cars could easily last 300K

I'm a bit naive when it comes to car mileage. I've never held onto a car beyond about 40k. 

Do you generally find they are still pretty reliable if maintained well even beyond 100k?

There are some other posts on here about high mileage Is300h vehicles.

This one has is a 150K+ vehicle on Autotrader at the moment. It has a clear MOT apart from a headlight that needed adjusting.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905268359876

There is talk of Prius going 300K+

This Prius went 600K: https://artofgears.com/2016/02/23/this-second-generation-toyota-prius-has-close-to-600000-miles/

Tote Is300h will go many more miles than it sounds like you'll ever drive. Though personally, I like to acquire a lower mileage vehicle rather than a higher one, as you can never be sure how the car has been treated during the time it's been racking up those.

There is something to be said for unusually low mileage vehicles too. Perhaps clocked odometers, lots of short journeys when engine is cold (causing engine wear), or cars sat unused for great lengths of time.

18 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Tote Is300h will go many more miles than it sounds like you'll ever drive. Though personally, I like to acquire a lower mileage vehicle rather than a higher one, as you can never be sure how the car has been treated during the time it's been racking up those.

There is something to be said for unusually low mileage vehicles too. Perhaps clocked odometers, lots of short journeys when engine is cold (causing engine wear), or cars sat unused for great lengths of time.

Totally agree. I think if I can find something around 50k miles which hasn't got worn out seats, and is in relatively good condition, I'll be happy.

The Premier we drove had holes in the rear seats (seemed like a tear, rather than wear damage). And the screen looked like it had started to lose its matte finish. IE - It was showing signs on strong wear, and it was only 23k miles...

This is more like it. Was targeting below 50k miles, but this might be good. Shame it doesn't have the cream leather, but beggers can't be choosers 

Can't get cream leather on the F Sport model. It's either red or black. Don't really think red goes with the blue very well though

With regard to the screen. The Matt finish being lost is due to using cleaners on it. It removes the antiglare coating.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Can't get cream leather on the F Sport model. It's either red or black. Don't really think red goes with the blue very well though

With regard to the screen. The Matt finish being lost is due to using cleaners on it. It removes the antiglare coating.

Is there any way to re-apply the antiglare? It is only along the top, which arguably doesn't actually go over the screen area, just the black border. It just doesn't look great

20 minutes ago, ArcticPanda said:

Is there any way to re-apply the antiglare? It is only along the top, which arguably doesn't actually go over the screen area, just the black border. It just doesn't look great

An owner removed all of it before using a window cleaner and cloth. Then had a piece of antiglare laser cut to dimensions and stuck it on.

Essentially said it made little difference so could have got away with just removing it and leaving it be