Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2nd hand 2014 IS300H standard wheel upgrade

Just bought my first is300h..its a second hand 2014 import to Ireland from the UK.Over the moon with it so far but the thing that is bothering me is the standard 16 in wheels.any advice on the best place to get lexus alloys in the UK for a reasonable price and what is better the 17 or 18in..Thanks in advance. 

I've got 18in on mine and the ride is a little bit on the firm side. I've read that the ride is better on the 16/17in  which is reasonable as there will be more flex in the larger tyre wall. 

Why are you thinking about changing? It's likely to be expensive unless you can find a used set complete with decent tyres

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Why are you thinking about changing?

I second this. Although I have 17" wheels, my research before buying LED me to think the 16" would be more comfortable. A lot of people say the bigger wheels give rather a firm ride - which of course may be what a lot of people want. But I decided to go with the 17" wheels as I didn't find any 16" wheel cars with leather seats. And I have to say the ride is fine, I don't find it too firm.

Having said that - and I'd advise you all to be sitting down before you read the following as I know this will come as a great shock to most people - having said that, I've never really understood what the point of bigger and bigger wheels is. Not only that but I also don't really understand - (now you really do need to be sitting down as I'm really sorry but I'm probably going to upset a lot of readers) - I've never understood the point of alloy wheels. 

Do they make the car go faster? I know they make the wheels a lot more work to clean. Apart from it not being fashionable at the moment, what's wrong with wheels like this?

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/img/Voisin-C27-Aerosport-Coupe-24077.html

Voisin C27 Aerosport Coupe - Chassis: 52002   - 2006 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

A  quick wipe and they're done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 18" do handle slightly better. They are staggered however, bear that in mind.

The 17" are the same width all around so you don't have to go searching extra hard for matching tyres front and back. Ofc they're also cheaper to change. 

• Thanks 1

I nearly bought a set of genuine 17s off eBay to use for winter tyres,  £200, with Bridgestone on. I regret not bagging them.  I tend to find if you search collection only there are bargains to be had.  But obviously might be an issue for you....

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bobmc said:

I've got 18in on mine and the ride is a little bit on the firm side. I've read that the ride is better on the 16/17in  which is reasonable as there will be more flex in the larger tyre wall. 

Why are you thinking about changing? It's likely to be expensive unless you can find a used set complete with decent tyres

Its really only the look of the car..I'm not a boy racer by any means but the standard lexus 16" alloys just dont look right on it..gona keep my eye out for a set of 17" multi spoke lexus second hand in good nic.cheers for the advice on the 18"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, darrude said:

I nearly bought a set of genuine 17s off Ebay to use for winter tyres,  £200, with Bridgestone on. I regret not bagging them.  I tend to find if you search collection only there are bargains to be had.  But obviously might be an issue for you....

That was some deal..I'd be doing very well to come across a deal like that again!!cheers for the advice tho il keep my eye out..I'm in no rush in fairness only got the car last week so I'm still in the honeymoon period even with my 16" 😊

Personally I'd go 18s. I think the 17s look a little small for the car. The Lexus owners club UK on Facebook is worth an ask, quite a few on there that are into pimping their cars out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's funny, I'm thinking of changing my 17in wheels for 19ins as the 17ins look small for me. So I would potentially have 17ins up for sale.... [emoji6]

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inazone said:

That's funny, I'm thinking of changing my 17in wheels for 19ins as the 17ins look small for me. So I would potentially have 17ins up for sale.... emoji6.png

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Ah what the hell I'm going 20"😂😂😂joking..  I'm gona take a trip to my local alloy shop and see my options before I make my mind up but if ya do end up changing the 17"off let me have a look at them first please and thank you 👍👍

I’ve got 16’s in mine and I wouldn’t change them.
I had a set of 17’s on loan for a while and the ride was slightly harsher and a bit more “crashy” and tbh I didn’t find it handled any better/worse when pushing in through the twisties, however my 16’s were Continental tyres and the 17’s were a budget so that may have made a difference.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1