Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone know where my antenna is?

Having bought a little gizmo to retune my Japanese frequency radio, I removed the radio yesterday (thankfully an easy job) only to find it doesn't have a standard antenna socket, in fact the only wires are the thin multi coloured ones with the plastic plugs. Any ideas?  Failing that I'm stuck with Radio2.

What gizmo are you trying to fit? Most of these things don't need a physical connection, you just tune the radio to a 'dead' frequency and the widget transmits to that.

Also, a photo of any sockets on the radio may help. An antenna will have two wires so any socket with two pins could be a candidate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies gents.  This is the high quality £5 gizmo all the way from China. It's just antenna in and out plus a power and earth wire. Unfortunately I put the radio back without taking pictures, although it's easy enough to take back out.  On a YouTube video it shows a standard antenna socket on the back of the unit but I don't have one on mine.  

IMG_20190620_174549487.jpg

Unless things have change drastically there should be an aerial socket on the radio unless they are now using a remote radio receiver perhaps in the boot area to which the aerials connects then the signal is sent to the head unit. Mine had the same adaptor fitted as yours until I went aftermarket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/50062-ls430-tuner-location.html

Just now, steve2006 said:

Unless things have change drastically there should be an aerial socket on the radio unless they are now using a remote radio receiver perhaps in the boot area to which the aerials connects then the signal is sent to the head unit. Mine had the same adaptor fitted as yours until I went aftermarket.

Thanks Steve, I'm guessing I may need to fish around in the boot then as there definitely isn't a socket on the main unit.  Do these things actually work?  Not much point if I can't access Classic FM!  I'm also a bit confused about the roof aerial.  Some say it's not for the radio but for Bluetooth, but my last two didn't have Bluetooth but still had the roof aerial!  And George in his post above says the antenna is built into the rear screen.  

Yes the radio aerial utilises the elements on the heated rear window so no physical rod type one ( plus no broken masts to worry about).

The link tells you exactly where to find the radio receiver.

The adaptors do work, they shift the FM frequencies by I think 10Khz so bring the band to within UK radio broadcasts, you will also need to find a 12 volt supply and ground point.

• Thanks 1