Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

98 LS400 my AC sounds like foghorn !

Evening all ! 

Its been a while since I last posted, owning and using my LS400 has been a joy [a little difficulty with power steering last year but a new pump and pipework from amayama.com and all is now well again]. Other than that it has been the usual consumables and plain sailing. Bought @ 126k in 2014 now on 187k -  still charging up and down the M6 and M40 regularly like nothing else on the road.

Finally decided to charge up the Air conditioning (refrigerant bottle and and trigger from Halfords) doesn't seem to be a leak but the air is still not cold. I have an on screen warning to check the climate screen and a flashing AC button on the climate screen itself and now if the AC is on when I start the car, I get a 5-10 second Foghorn sound (seriously, its a head turner!) and then nothing. I replaced the relay myself and decided to get a new drive belt which went on during the last oil change service {six monthly oil changes suits me}. 

My guess is that the compressor cranks up, something is causing the noise and the compressor then shuts down. Any opinions and advice on this gratefully received. 

ps - Just agreed terms on an 2005 LS430 Facelift - going to run both cars for a while until I'm happy with the LS430 and then either mothball the LS400 or find a good home for it. 

Cheers 

V.