Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air and pollen filters

My local garage misunderstood my request and only changed my oil, didn't replace the air or pollen filters. It looks easy enough to change them myself and I've looked up the part numbers but it's a bit of a minefield with a Harrier as euro detects my reg as a 3.0 RX-300 which it clearly isn't and the filters have different part numbers.

Are mann filters good or should I stick with OEM? The mann filters from amazon are £17 for the air filter and £26.50 for the pollen filter. Toyota OEM are £25 for the air filter and £40 for the pollen filter. Are they worth the extra?

As Day says they are both quite handy to change.  Certainly well within the reach of an enthusiastic DIY'er.

I've used genuine and non-genuine in the past and whilst I prefer to keep it all OEM (it just makes me feel like I'm doing it right) I've never had any issues with the 'lesser' alternatives.  Don't get me wrong it's much more sensible to stick to genuine parts when fitment and quality are a worry, like body panels or trims for example, but for simple filters it should be grand.

Near sure the 2AZ-FE shares these bits with the 1MZ so you should be okay on that front?

3 minutes ago, Jaystar77 said:

Near sure the 2AZ-FE shares these bits with the 1MZ so you should be okay on that front?

Ah yes, you're right. Somehow I ended up thinking the pollen filter was different last night and apparently ordered the wrong one but I've just checked the mann catalog again and you're right they're the same.

• Like 1

I have yet to learn how significant it is to fit parts supplied by others than Lexus.  When it comes to pollen filters for my BMW, you can buy the better and more expensive ones sold by BMW or aftermarket ones that are white or grey being different qualities and many people opt for the cheaper ones, perhaps because it's a less vital component.  You can even buy identical spark plugs to originals cheaper as after market, although these will not have the BMW insignia printed on them.  However, there are aftermarket components that are known to be inferior to the BMW supplied product.  I have to learn the relative advantage of buying from Lexus rather than use aftermarket parts, although I suspect there are fewer aftermarket alternatives available for Lexus than for the premium German brands anyway.  Incidentally, I have bought oil filters of a well respected brand described as being suitable for my car but on fitting found to be too long. So I think it's always worth seeking views of others when contemplating using other than manufacturer supplied parts.

Very occasionally you'll get a huge surprise and find that the main dealers are actually competitive on price and if that happens to be the case then fair enough, I'd go for it.

However, Toyota/Lexus don't make such things as batteries, tyres, wipers and exhausts, to name just a few of the 'wear and tear' items. They just buy in from whoever does make them, put them in a Toy/Lex box, add a markup and sell them out again, so you're not getting "genuine Lexus" parts anyway.

Of course, I don't advocate going to 'Slippery Sid's' back-street shop where they're selling cheap Chinese knock-offs, but as long as you buy from reputable motor factors who sell to the trade and deal in well-known and respected brands, you can save yourself a few quid and still be safe in the knowledge that you're fitting high quality parts - possibly even from the same people who made the 'genuine Lexus' parts in the first place.

I suppose it also depends on what you're going to do with the car, to a degree. If you're the sort of person who changes their car every year or two then you may want to keep it as close to factory as you can for the next owner and I suppose I can see the rationale behind that. However, we're the sort of people who buy a car and run it until it can be run no more and it goes to that great scrapyard in the sky, so any perceived value in having everything supplied and/or done by Lexus is lost on us and I'm more than happy to put in other high quality aftermarket parts.

• Like 3

I'm with Herbie on this. The manufacturers don't actually make the filters. In fact in Europe, most Japanese manufacturers source filters from suppliers in Europe rather than supply all the way from Japan. It helps avoid long lead times for supply and keeps costs down.

You're still getting an OEM-spec filter and it comes with the backup of the car's manufacturer. But you could probably buy the exact same filter in the aftermarket cheaper.

For instance I know that Mahle in Germany supply filters to one Japanese manufacturer (not Lexus before you ask).

I also agree that you should avoid the Chinese no-name filters you often see on eBay. No backup, no quality control, no thanks.

My RX has a Bosch filter supplied by the local motor factor.

• Like 2

Here's an interesting comparison on oil filters (not entirely on topic but still is worth a read) that shows the bits we can't normally see:

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/oil-filter-exposed.27947/

Goes to show that whilst some items can look the same it's not always the case.  I'd usually stick to genuine Toyota oil filters unless I'm running an engine in.  Can remember using Blueprint ones for a while until I found one with a bit of metal in it - who or whatever tapped the thread on it hadn't done it neatly!

• Like 1

The thing that concerns me is that whilst there are great alternative parts, in this day and age can you be sure that they are not cheap copies unless there is a provenance in the supply chain.I'm sure I read recently that a reputable motor factor had been unaware they had been selling 'pirated' components. 

Certainly when I restored my Morris Minor there was a huge difference in the quality of parts. The quality of panels supplied by one of best known companies was awful. When possible I found and fitted 'new old stock parts'. 

Hoses were one new item that often were inferior and would perish in around 2 or 3 years. 

This wasn't great when the petrol feed pipe from the electric fuel pump to the car leaked over the hot engine..... 

Stick with OEM level third party products and you will be ok.

By OEM level I mean brands like Denso, Mahle, Mann etc  not blueprint.

Also some third party products are better.  In some Toyotas for example the Toyota pollen filter is the white type.  I much prefer using the carbon type (grey type) from a third party than a Toyota white type even when the third party product is more expensive than the Toyota version (carbon version is always more expensive than non carbon)

• Like 3

I do know that a certain parts supplier who used to be called "German and Swedish" has bought the brand names of quite a few parts suppliers. So they can literally put anything they want in a branded box because, well, they own the trademark.

So I go for Mahle or Mann where filters are concerned. Whether the Pollen filter is grey or white depends on if it has a charcoal element to it. They are slightly better at absorbing the more country type whiffs.

On 6/23/2019 at 12:45 AM, Herbie said:

V However, we're the sort of people who buy a car and run it until it can be run no more and it goes to that great scrapyard in the sky, so any perceived value in having everything supplied and/or done by Lexus is lost on us and I'm more than happy to put in other high quality aftermarket parts.

I'm definitely in the right place car choice wise.

Well the 'Toyota' so called branded oil filter did pretty well in the comparative tests on canister type filters  in the 2008 link.  (There are many people in the USA who have done this opening up of filters of many makes and examined them more intensely and put videos on U Tube). One important aspect concerns how many microns they will filter down to and not clog.  Maybe it's because our friends across the pond clock up greater annual mileages on average and therefore more oil and filter changes but if you read their forums,quite a number have a sample of their car's oil lab tested to establish what is in filters and oil and rate it.

Oil filters of the replaceable cartridge kind, do at least enable an easy visual inspection and comparison to be made. That is what enabled me to determine that one so described suitable filter by a leading brand  for my BMW was too long and crushed up when the carrier top was screwed  down. 

Interested to read comments on German and Swedish, now German Swedish and French (GSF).  Another factor who sells various brands and qualities is Euro Car Parts. Some of their stuff I have found to be good but their discounted parts are not always the bargain price they try to convey.  I doubt they will do much for Lexus cars.

It's also true that aftermarket hoses can be substandard,  Some years ago this happened with brake hoses failing within 2 years on VW's. Also, with brake hoses they can look fine outside but the bore can be closed down by expansion of the rubber.  This happened with my Fiat 3200130 coupe quite awhile back. There was no movement on rear caliper which when disassembled was found to be OK.  I then cut the hose to caliper in half and it was so swollen that no fluid was passing through.  I would only fit manufacturer branded hoses or Goodridge or Hel high performance ones  which are better quality and more durable.

As I said earlier, some parts are more vital than others when going aftermarket and it's useful to learn from the experience of others

I've met that swelling thing recently. With hoses bought from ECP... They were fine about it, once they had accepeted that I had cut them in two to find out why the front brake was "slow" releasing. Not coming on, but it would drag once the pressure was off. ECP offered to replace them but I really didn't want to put the same "branded" ones on after that so went for metal hoses. I mean they have their own little problems do metal braided ones but a car is usually heavy enough to deal with it. Not so much motor bikes.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, PCM said:

Good weekend job: check your pollen filter.

Mine was dry, but with bits of leaf in it.

Gave it a good clean. 

I changed mine when I bought my Celsior and found a very dead but interesting Japanese bug in it, plus various amounts of dry vegetation!

• Like 2

In the past I have used a combination of vacuum and compressed air and knocking them to clean air and pollen filters if  they look pretty fair and never had a problem.  Of course there comes a time when they have to be replaced.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links