Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is250 Convertible roof will not close

Hi Shaun and welcome to the LOC,hoping you find the forum educational and informative,have you read the threads above?seems like it could be the micro switches. Do you have a manual/instructions for the roof?if not you can download one from one of the above threads as it might help 

Hi Shaun.

Sorry to hear about your roof issue.

Two things spring to mind. Might there be an issue with either Battery power or did you have the engine running when you encountered the problem.

The second thing you might check is the possibility of some item falling down into the roof mechanism on either side of the trunk and becoming entangled.

The fact that you can hear something clicking in the boot when you try to lower the roof indicates to me that the roof computer is doing it's job in trying to get the process moving but that either lack of voltage or something physically jammed is preventing this from happening.

Dec.

Hi RevPhilip

How did you check the two slots above the windscreen? I have the same problem and been quoted £1500 to fix from Lexus! Do you pull out the mechanism with some pliers?  Another mechanic looked at it and they couldn't even put it up manually. Now in garage but I'm fearing that if I cannot get someone to sort it, I may have to bite my lip and and drive it to Lexus in Southampton on a sunny day...I'm based on Hayling Island. It's a nightmare...but not as bad as owning a Ford nightmare...

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

Sorry that I missed your post, I hope that you have got your roof sorted now? What was the problem? 

I am back to having more roof problems! The boot opens, the two ‘arms’ start to move, then everything stops. Have been quoted £900 just for the part. So today if am hoping to take everything to bits and see what the problem is. I have been told it’s a gog-wheel that has missing teeth. I will try and upload photos later.

926A018A-7F15-4565-9C56-825C111D9DEC.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Having the same issue. Here in California 

Top goes down then won't go up. Did anybody replace the switch? I ordered one from eBay but I don't think I can install myself 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, Ohisee said:

Top goes down then won't go up. Did anybody replace the switch? I ordered one from ebay but I don't think I can install myself 

Hi Aaron, In the end it was a small motor and gog part, with a broken off tooth. Managed to get the whole arm replacement from a breakers and fitted it myself, it all seems good to me now. Hope that helps

Hi guys

I have had my is250c for a few years now. This year the roof has started to play up. 
With mine it was the motor and where it’s connected to the parcel shelf. Lexus want £1000 for the part plus fitting. The parcel shelf gets jammed on opening and closing  and you have to get out the car and either push or pull up the shelf for it to carry on working. Sometimes this happens and other times it doesn’t. These cars are known to have issues with the roof. Advice would be to get rid, Or be prepared  for it to go wrong and cost you a bomb.

• 7 months later...

Hi, I have a 2010 isc250  and my top get stuck about 3 times  a month.  Either it won’t open , or it won’t close.  It cost about $2000.00 to repair.  I’m holding out . I really love this car, so fun to drive, but I will trade it in soon .  It has 135,000 mi.  

• 5 months later...
On 7/28/2020 at 5:28 PM, Ohisee said:

Top goes down then won't go up. Did anybody replace the switch? I ordered one from ebay but I don't think I can install myself 

Ohisee - Did the switch fix your roof? Having similar issue. Switch seems unresponsive, no error messages and no  window engagement.  Messed with hood, trunk & luggage rack sensors then reengaged switch and didn’t get error message (ex. Luggage rack not set) so again seems like a switch issue. Happened 2 times this weekend both in the down position.  Several successful open & close attempts; So intermittent.  I think I’m going to shotgun a switch at it. Anyone have success with switch replacement fixing issue? Also scan tool shows no modules bad.  

• 1 month later...

@RevPhilip I am in the US. I have isolated the switch, I can clean it, but after a couple weeks, I get the error again. Can run the car, but warning light/alarm is not fun. The blue part of the switch is 1.2 inch long, so ~12.7 millimeters, measuring the thickness, it is 1/4 inch, so ~ 6.35mm

Switch Back.png

Switch front.jpg

• 1 month later...

Is there sufficient room to the rear of the car to allow the roof to operate safely.

If the car detects  -  through the park assist system  -  that it may be too close to any object, it will not commence the roof closing operation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beamish said:

Is there sufficient room to the rear of the car to allow the roof to operate safely.

If the car detects  -  through the park assist system  -  that it may be too close to any object, it will not commence the roof closing operation.

So what do you mean I didn’t understand 

Now I get what you saying I got everything cleaned there’s nothing in the back but it doesn’t close only opens, to close it I have to pull the car Battery for 10 minutes and then plug it back so the car can restart and then it comes back normal but I think it’s a fuse issue 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ahmed,

I have had similar problems. I fond that it was a sensor that was playing up. A good garage should be able to track down the sensor and replace it. 

I also found that one of the arms that lifts the roof, that some of the teeth on two of the gogs had broken, and then I got the same error message. See page one of this topic and you will see some of the things that happened to my car. 

RevPhilip 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links