Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi bad start to the day ,in the outside lane of the M6 ,large stone flies over from the opposite carriageway BANG ,I expected it to have come through the screen but it has just put a large bullseye close to the edge .My insurer recommends Autoglass,I have contacted them and they will get a new screen for Sunday as I have described the features on the SEL .Its years since I had this happen ,are there any special problems I should be aware of before the fitter arrives ? thanks in advance

Dave

Yes as above came with wrong one, when they recently fitted mine. I ordered on line for home fitting, so took 3 more days. Yours has 3 sensor locations near mirror

i believe its the one they brought for mine. So call them to make sure year model. Very happy with the service thou, Make sure any broken tabs are replaced.

LEXUS-IS220-250-2005-ON-WINDSCREEN-SIDE-MOULDING-CLIP-PACK-OF-10

These are on the side pillars.

and make usre you get new plastic surrounds on each side of the windscreen and that they fit.  Take pictures of everything before they come.  They destroyed a good few of the poppers that hold everything together inside the engine bay under the windscreen.  Nothing sat correctly and had them back twice but was still a mess.  Got my deposit back and redid the cosmetic stuff myself.

I had the misfortune last year to be driving a loan CT200h from Derby Lexus which had done 175 miles from brand new. Stone hit screen in some roadworks and screen was cracked right across. The insurance excess was a£1000 so it was cheaper for me to get a screen from Lexus and sent to a local fitter they recommended. He told me it is a fallacy about the auto wipers etc needing resetting if the job is done properly. He was supplied with the full fitting kit but used none of it so I was able to get a refund for unused parts. In all it cost me £400,which was better than paying the insurance excess 

8 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

In all it cost me £400,which was better than paying the insurance excess 

Surely you would still only have paid the £400 had you gone through insurance? One only has to pay up to the policy excess, not the excess irrespective?

If Lexus have ever done any work regarding the creaking dash problem there will be packers visible when the windscreen is removed. Make sure the fitter knows to leave them be.... do not remove.

I think it is normal that a new gel pad should be fitted where the wiper sensor attaches to the windscreen. Check the auto wiper function after with a jug of water dribbled over the sensor.

15 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Surely you would still only have paid the £400 had you gone through insurance? One only has to pay up to the policy excess, not the excess irrespective?

Apparently not. I was told that if it went through the garage insurance I would have to pay the full excess... 

Hi they have said a full set of fittings and plastic surrounds will come with the screen ,also offered new wipers which I declined as I always have a spare set of Denso which I purchase from ECP when on offer .I will let you know how it goes on Sunday

Dave

Hi new screen fitted Sunday afternoon , I was pleased as when the fitter arrived he brought a Lexus genuine screen and all the fittings as Autoglass had been unable to source a screen from anyone except a dealer .He was very meticulous and removed and replaced all plastic pop fittings without breaking any .New screen surrounds and clips were neatly fitted and the wiper sweep correctly adjusted.All in all I am very pleased and the finish is like new again  Result !

Dave

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 3:13 PM, olliesgrandad said:

I had the misfortune last year to be driving a loan CT200h from Derby Lexus which had done 175 miles from brand new. Stone hit screen in some roadworks and screen was cracked right across. The insurance excess was a£1000 so it was cheaper for me to get a screen from Lexus and sent to a local fitter they recommended. He told me it is a fallacy about the auto wipers etc needing resetting if the job is done properly. He was supplied with the full fitting kit but used none of it so I was able to get a refund for unused parts. In all it cost me £400,which was better than paying the insurance excess 

That's really not fair play is it. If you'd been driving your own car on your own insurance you'd have had to pay say £90 windscreen replacement excess not £1,000. I've often thought that the £1,000 insurance excess when driving a courtesy car is a bit outrages, but if it has to be, they at least should only apply say £90 excess for a replacement windscreen on the basis that that is what your own insurers would apply. Also, would it be cost effective to add a courtesy car to your own insurance and would the excesses on your own insurance apply to the courtesy car? Just thinking of a way to avoid the £1,000 excess applied by Lexus in the event that the worst happens. 

I'd be interested opinions of forum members on this topic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeffL said:

That's really not fair play is it. If you'd been driving your own car on your own insurance you'd have had to pay say £90 windscreen replacement excess not £1,000. I've often thought that the £1,000 insurance excess when driving a courtesy car is a bit outrages, but if it has to be, they at least should only apply say £90 excess for a replacement windscreen on the basis that that is what your own insurers would apply. Also, would it be cost effective to add a courtesy car to your own insurance and would the excesses on your own insurance apply to the courtesy car? Just thinking of a way to avoid the £1,000 excess applied by Lexus in the event that the worst happens. 

I'd be interested opinions of forum members on this topic.

What really annoyed me was that if they'd told me that for £5 a day I could have reduced the excess to £50 I would have done it. After the incident my own insurance covered the car for no charge grrrrrr

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links