Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Computer question please

Hi folks,

I wonder if someone might be able to offer a little guidance please.

I want to put a new hard drive in my pc, just to take the O/S and the programmes.  All of my data is kept on a totally separate drive.

I quite fancy using an SSD unit and would appreciate any guidance on what to buy.  I don't want to spend the earth and, I think that something around 12gb will be sufficient for my needs.

I have hopefully attached an image of my computers specification if it will help with any advice offered.  I think that the drive in it at the moment is a Western Digital unit.

Many thanks.

Dell Specification_26-06-2019.pdf

When you say:

2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

I think that something around 12gb will be sufficient for my needs.

I'm assuming that you left a '0' off that and meant to say 120GB - Windows 7 itself takes 16 to 20GB.

Personally I would never go with anything less than 240GB as the system/boot drive and there's a very decent one here for £27.06:

https://www.ebuyer.com/790251-kingston-a400-240gb-ssd-ebuyer-com-sa400s37-240g

If you really do want something smaller then you can get the 128GB version for £18.83

Windows 7 reaches end-of-life in about 7 months time so I'd take this opportunity to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro for £19.99 from here:

https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-category/windows-10/

Given that you'll be adding this SSD into the machine as an extra drive you'll need a SATA data cable (I don't think they come with the drive) and maybe also a Molex to SATA power cable too.

Just install the operating system on the SSD then make sure it and/or whatever SATA port it's plugged into is designated as the boot drive in BIOS/UEFI and Robert is your mother's brother.

sound advice from @Herbie

This is the adaptor cable you might need

s-l500.thumb.jpg.bdd0647a66c21a116be5b3733259adf1.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-Power-to-MOLEX-Convertor-Cable-CABLE-2-/390504208060?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

You might need to consider where you will mount the SSD inside the case. You can either buy a mounting kit like this

17-994-196-01-768x576.thumb.jpg.efd61fa5fb4c482a2313d13ad86eb3fd.jpg

or just use a couple of double-sided adhesive pads to stick it somewhere convenient. 

Finally, if you don't want to reinstall Windows and all your programs, you can use something like http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx to clone your existing drive to the new SSD

However, I would say that the full re-install would be the preferred option to get the full benefit of the upgrade.

• Like 1

I have been out all day today and have only just looked at your responses. Thank you so much Herbie and bobmc.  I will get onto your recommendations right away.

Herbie, you're right I did leave a nought off the size, it should have read 120GB.  I am running Windows10 Pro on my machine and so I am assuming that I will have no problems downloading it again along with the most recent update.

bobmv, I do already use macrium but I will be doing a completely clean install when I get the new drive.

Thanks again chaps, much appreciated.

42 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

it should have read 120GB.  I am running Windows10 Pro on my machine and so I am assuming that I will have no problems downloading it again along with the most recent update.

Thought so 😊

Yes, you'll be able to download Windows 10 again without any problem Geoff, just use the media creation tool and it'll walk you through the process.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links