Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cycle Rack

• 1 month later...

To answer my own question, and for future reference, I have recently bought a Saris Bones 2 Rack. This does the job, is simple to install, does not cause damage to the paintwork and carries my bike safely.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ikeja said:

To answer my own question, and for future reference, I have recently bought a Saris Bones 2 Rack. This does the job, is simple to install, does not cause damage to the paintwork and carries my bike safely.

Any chance you could post a picture up Barry? I’ve got Whispbars from my old 5 series but they don’t fit the IS and so am considering other options. Be good to know how stable they are, as I’ve always preferred roof-mounted for that reason. 

Will try and post some pictures tomorrow Gareth,

Steve, if they fir the IS300 they should also fit the IS250.

I purchased mine from Halfords, but before I paid I asked to see it fitted on my car. This the Alesman did without any problem

• Thanks 1

Do you also have a lighting board as well? If the bike obscures lights/number plate you will need one. Depends how keen a following police car is but they do book people now and then. I looked into a tow bar for the IS 300h for this reason to fit a bike carrier and lighting board to (as well as for towing a boat). Although the IS 300h is rated to tow and there is a tow bar available from Lexus there are no 3rd party ones and looked like Lexus would want £1K+ to supply and fit.

At the moment I do not have a lighting board and accept that I should have one. At the moment I am keeping off the main roads as I live in a rural area.

• Like 1

I have only used it for one bike, and no problems experienced. However, i found that the nearest position for the bike (closest to the boot) meant that the pedal of the bike was very close to the bodywork so I use the position furthest away from the boot. Also, whilst the straps provided for securing the bike are very good, I use additional chord to secure the bike so that it will not move in any direction. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png                             

After pricing up a Lexus tow  bar and a Lexus bike rack that fits to the tow bar at about £1000 I decided to make my own.

One of my hobbies is welding.

I noticed that the Is300h has "towing hitch's" on the nearside and the offside. These are supposed to be used for pulling the Is300h from ditches etc.

I made some brackets that bolts to the towing eyes and welded a length of 50mm square tubing to each bracket.

I then welded another piece of tubing in the middle and at 90 degrees, a piece of shaped flat plate welded to that.

When using the bike rack I bolt a plate to the welded plate and insert two 20mm square tubes and hang the bike on to the tubes.

A few lengths of bungy cord holds the bike steady.

It looks as if the bike wheels are wider that the car but it's an illusion. The bike wheels do not overhang the body.

Obviously, this is not a tow bar and I have only used it for one bike. I made the system a couple of years ago and it is till going strong.

It must be OK as I have been to the Lake District with the bike attached (over 200 miles round trip) and use the rack every Sunday.

Total cost about £50 and no, I won't be making another. It's for my own use only.

Dave T

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

The rack is designed for two bikes, but I found that when positioned nearest to the car the pedals tended to rub on the bumper - hence only use it for one bike and positioned furthest away from the bumper.

Its ok for short journeys but would not want to use it for longer journeys.

So far, no issues with marking the boot lid or paintwork

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MartinH said:

Hmm, the worry with those carriers is that if you get rear-ended with two proper bikes on, that could easily be a five-figures loss! 

I guess that would be down to insurance? Yes, racks which project beyond the boot will always be at risk if you get rear ended.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links