Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattle from drivers side lower knee roll, I think.

I have a really annoying rattle which I think is coming from the drivers side knee roll panel, or knee airbag.  I've tried about 5 times to fix it,  and spent the last 1000 miles pushing in various places to isolate it.  I can stop it by pressing relatively hard pretty much anywhere on the panel,  but cannot find the source,  or work or how to fix. 

Anyone else had this, or have any ideas?

I've had the panel but nothing obvious. 

Thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Daz

3 hours ago, darrude said:

I have a really annoying rattle which I think is coming from the drivers side knee roll panel, or knee airbag.  I've tried about 5 times to fix it,  and spent the last 1000 miles pushing in various places to isolate it.  I can stop it by pressing relatively hard pretty much anywhere on the panel,  but cannot find the source,  or work or how to fix. 

Anyone else had this, or have any ideas?

I've had the panel but nothing obvious. 

Thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Daz

I stopped a few rattles on the passenger side panel. Prised off panel and put some anti-rattle tape in.

Not sure if you meant the door side or the centre console side, but sharing pics anyway in case they help. I’m really OCD about rattles, so feel your pain ! 🙂

FF957CA6-D2AA-4108-B561-7145BC96E812.jpeg

9C4886AC-1ADD-46B9-994B-FBCE49D45421.jpeg

• Thanks 1

i had this rattle / noise on my last 300h ,

remove the drivers undertray and you will see a metal clip

put some self adhesive tape around the metal clip,

its a metal clip in a metal hole after a while the original

tape / felt must wear and then make this noise.

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2019 at 4:40 PM, 200h said:

i had this rattle / noise on my last 300h ,

remove the drivers undertray and you will see a metal clip

put some self adhesive tape around the metal clip,

its a metal clip in a metal hole after a while the original

tape / felt must wear and then make this noise.

Mark, any chance you could attach a pic to show exactly where this is and how to access it please ? Thanks G. 

there are 2 screws to undo these are No 3

give the panel a pull downwards to release the clips

there are a couple of wires to disconnect

then wrap part No 5 with some self adhesive felt.

re-assemble

lower panel.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found time to do this... It was annoying me so much I was actually thinking about getting rid of the car.  Anyway, took the panel off, covered every edge in felt tape, covered the knee airbag cover fixings in tape to get a good fix, covered some of the redundant electrical connectors, and taped down some of the loose harness. Did the clip as suggested although it already had tape on it ... And this morning.... No annoying rattle. 

Thanks so much for the help.

Now to find the passenger side rattle!

Can't believe how truly awful theses cars for rattles, worst car I've ever owned for rattles.

• Like 1

I am not sure that they are any worse than others. I think, however, that the cars themselves being so quiet, the rattles are that much more obvious.

2 hours ago, darrude said:

Finally found time to do this... It was annoying me so much I was actually thinking about getting rid of the car.  Anyway, took the panel off, covered every edge in felt tape, covered the knee airbag cover fixings in tape to get a good fix, covered some of the redundant electrical connectors, and taped down some of the loose harness. Did the clip as suggested although it already had tape on it ... And this morning.... No annoying rattle. 

Thanks so much for the help.

Now to find the passenger side rattle!

Can't believe how truly awful theses cars for rattles, worst car I've ever owned for rattles.

Strange how some get rattles and some don't - mine is a 2014 with 75K miles on it now and no rattles at all from the car although I have found that items left on the centre console box do sometimes rattle and it's surprising where you think those rattles are coming from - a few times I thought I had a rattle and then emptied the centre console and it was gone! Also I Gummi Pflege the door seals/rubbers about twice a year - the noise they can make also sounds like rattles (near the upper seatbelt mountings) and this stuff works really well in eliminating those (common to lots of cars).

its amazing hw something so small can create such an issue for you,

i dont have rattles but i do have centre console creaks

that i am going to have a look at this weekend weather permitting.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links