Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, following on from finding and buying my LS460 Original post

I’ve covered about 800 miles now and it’s every bit as smooth and comfortable as I had hoped for!

I had a nice 60 mile waft up the M40 and got surprising fuel economy, although to be fair my normal commute of 30 miles each way is about 10 miles of slow A/B Roads And 20 miles of Motorway and that gets me 26MPG which I am still happy with.

I knew that the Service History was pretty flaky when I bought the car so first thing was the Air Filters - yuk, obviously not changed for a couple of years 😞.  Next up was to replace all the brake disks and pads, I’ve done my own for years, how hard can it be............

I whipped off a rear wheel, popped off the Caliper, removed the pads and then realised that the E-Handbrake was still on and therefore I couldn’t remove the disk (my first time with a E-Handbrake), no probs I thought, I’ll just start the engine and flick the switch to stop the handbrake from coming on.  Jump into the drivers seat, foot on brake pedal, push the start button, servo wakes up...pedal drops a bit...dash lights up like a bloody Christmas tree with every sort of warning light known to mankind - IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT

Being a smartarse car it recognises that the rear caliper pistons have moved excessive fluid compared to the others (caliper is clear of the disk and has no pads in it remember!), assumes there is a fluid leak, locks off that fluid circuit from the ABS module and warns you that Armageddon is approaching, do not pass go, do not collect £200, in fact go to dealer and deposit wads of cash with them to sort the problem out, or.......

Go to E-Bay, cross your fingers, buy an OBD interface lead and some TIS TechStream software EBAY Link to Lead  Load the software onto an old Win7 Laptop, cleared the codes and life was good - I claim a lucky escape this time 🙂.  But at least I learned something new and now have the Software should any other sensors etc decide to throw a wobbly!

Next stop is the Oil Filter/Oil, Cabin Filter - even I can’t duff that up....can I?

So in summary, after 6 weeks, LOVE IT. !!!

Jim

1C0AABAC-6B0B-49D1-BCCD-8C3344708264.jpeg

266F3C65-E351-4992-A72F-109A00E1B85E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Oil Filter changed, looked a bit twisted, otherwise OK, oil looked reasonably clean so it’s had some TLC fairly recently which is good.

Cabin air filter was predictably grotty but easy to change, tightening up the glove box lock stops looks horrific but only took 30 mins Following this link thankfully 😅 

Jim

1D4C9829-5E09-432B-B18B-7D3266A8D500.jpeg

49DD00C5-285F-45FB-B447-684EBF463523.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So near and yet so far!

Having cleared the codes and got everything back to normal I noticed that the Parking Brake was now, erm, garbage!  I put it down to old shoes on new Disk/drum so ordered and fitted new parking brake shoes.

Still Garbage! Bugger 🤯

So it turns out that after releasing the EPB manually that I will now need to reset the “Zero Point” and/or initialise the EPB actuator

• PERFORM PARKING BRAKE SHOE BEDDING
  • (a) Perform parking brake shoe bedding See: Testing and Inspection/Programming and Relearning.

Here is where I am going to need some help!

I can only find part of the manual that explains how to do this (I’ve done the manual brake shoe adjustment already) electronically via Techstream - does anyone have a link to the other pages of This supplement to the workshop manual

Or if someone knows what to do in Techstream that would be even better ?

Many thanks

Jim