Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There have been a few mentions of the new TNGA-based RAV4 in various threads but I'm interested in knowing whether anyone is contemplating replacing their NX with one. I was quite impressed with the cabin of one I examined on a recent trip to a Toyota dealer, and there are significant improvements in emissions, performance and economy over the NX. Presumably we'll have to wait at least a couple of years for the next-gen TNGA/GAK-based NX, so it's worth thinking about.  The old RAV4 was much cruder than the NX, however, despite sharing most of the platform, which is a disincentive. Has anyone driven one back-to-back with their NX?

• 2 weeks later...

I test drove both the nx and the new rav4 back to back and found the rav4 noticeably noisier, very disappointing. Nice drive, but quite unrefined. 

Or if the two we would have gone for the nx. However  with regret as we have had years of trouble free motoring with toyotas, we have actually gone for a petrol volvo xc60, it's lovely to drive, quieter, much cheaper to buy and more comfortable than the nx. Whether we live to regret it in terms of reliabilty who knows. We will definitely look at the new nx when that comes out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandj said:

I test drove both the nx and the new rav4 back to back and found the rav4 noticeably noisier, very disappointing. Nice drive, but quite unrefined. 

Or if the two we would have gone for the nx. However  with regret as we have had years of trouble free motoring with toyotas, we have actually gone for a petrol volvo xc60, it's lovely to drive, quieter, much cheaper to buy and more comfortable than the nx. Whether we live to regret it in terms of reliabilty who knows. We will definitely look at the new nx when that comes out.

The new Volvos are nice, no doubt about that - but I've got a close friend with a new XC40 and she's had lots of minor niggles - poorly fitting doors, failed tailgate strut, poor fit of rear bumper, fuel filler recall and plenty of little cabin rattles. The dealer has sorted it all (almost) first time, but she is a bit disappointed despite loving the drive.

Other members here have reported that build quality may not be all it should be too, with rattles in the interior. Mind you, new discounts are massive and given the price I'll definitely consider one next time! Always rather liked Volvos...