Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help ! Newly fitted tyres “ swerving “

Last week had new tyres fitted by the dealer , something I would never do , normally go to local tyre fitters , when driving at speed 70 + it feels like the rear tyres are swerving from side to side , at one point it felt very unnerving. My neighbour told me the other day , more tyres take 100 miles to settle in ? Not experienced this before ? On the way back from Heathrow, 100 miles each way , they did seem ok . Do I call dealer and make a point , insist on a check up , or go with it for a bit longer ? Any advice appreciated. Previous  tyres Yokohama , new on rear are Nexen , Nfera. 

Immediate check - are your wheel nuts all correctly tight?

If it doesn't feel right and you don't feel 100% confident then DEFINITELY ask the dealer to check it over and make sure they test it. 

• Like 2

Tyres do take a short while to rid themselves of surface release agent and to settle properly on their rims. Always advisable to 'break' them in gently for the first 100 miles or so.

Check ,as posted above, wheel bolts are tight. Check also the tyres are fitted the correct way round, if they are directional. What are the pressures like?

But if, as you say, they now feel ok and the above checks are all ok, I would just take it easy for a few more miles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dealkent said:

Nexen , Nfera

I've never heard of Nexen . A quick search shows they are categorised as a "discount" brand and are about 1/2 the price of a "Premium" equivalent.

Despite that, no matter how bad the tyres, the car shouldn't be swerving. As above, maybe they fitted them incorrectly or didn't tighten the bolts up properly.

38 minutes ago, route66 said:

I've never heard of Nexen . A quick search shows they are categorised as a "discount" brand and are about 1/2 the price of a "Premium" equivalent.

Despite that, no matter how bad the tyres, the car shouldn't be swerving. As above, maybe they fitted them incorrectly or didn't tighten the bolts up properly.

Just been reading reviews for Nexen are they are excellent,  they were £30 cheaper ( each ) than Yokohama but They were rated better for sound and other things so it seemed to be a no brainer .

on research on Google , the “ sliding & swaying “ could be loose wheel nuts or over inflated tyres .

i will take it back to Dealer regardless I think , better safe than sorry . 

Advise is correct regarding bedding the tyres in - they take a fair few miles to become "normal" and can feel skiddish before that.

Tyre inflation is fairly easy to check so do that first

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Advise is correct regarding bedding the tyres in - they take a fair few miles to become "normal" and can feel skiddish before that.

Tyre inflation is fairly easy to check so do that first

Checked her pressure, 35 psi which seems about right , definitely Not overinflated, and the wheels feel solid , no movement. Still waiting for the dealer to return my calls ......😡

Checked her pressure, 35 psi which seems about right , definitely Not overinflated, and the wheels feel solid , no movement. Still waiting for the dealer to return my calls ......[emoji35]

I run mine at 39psi, 35psi should be more than adequate.

Bear in mind that some of the budget tyres are quite a hard tyre and so do give that feeling of less grip, plus the harder tyres take longer still to “bed in” I’ve read somewhere else up to about 500 miles!!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I have noticed the date on the new tyres are 2018 , which means they have been hanging around in storage for maybe a year ? Maybe they are dry , hard something like that , which may affect their performance. Interestingly the price quoted by the dealer for the Yokohama’s was only slightly more than my local tyre garage . 

• 2 weeks later...

Advice please ! 

after taking car back to Lexus and having them checked and balanced again , they are still swerving , or feels like it’s swerving at 70 to 80 mph . Should I demand they are changed ? . Or swap the new rear ones with The old Yokohama s currently on the front ? 

Will the garage take back the new ones in rear ? . 

In your first post you said they were now feeling ok, after you trip to Heathrow. What's changed?

I'd say either try a different make of tyre, see if you still notice this effect.

I'd also say get the suspension geometry checked, not just an alignment but full 4 wheel check. Also have the rear suspension bushes checked.

As to whether the garage would take back the tyres only a phone call will answer that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

In your first post you said they were now feeling ok, after you trip to Heathrow. What's changed?

I'd say either try a different make of tyre, see if you still notice this effect.

I'd also say get the suspension geometry checked, not just an alignment but full 4 wheel check. Also have the rear suspension bushes checked.

As to whether the garage would take back the tyres only a phone call will answer that.

Thanks for the reply 

I thought they were much better , buy after another long journey I noticed the swerving feeling was still there .

the passenger can feel it too . I have never had this problem before when changing tyres on a car And certainly didn’t have 

the problem with the current car before having the new tyres fitted .

Will call them tomorrow and when I am in the garage I will mention what you have said .

its all very annoying and time wasting now !! 

I will be driving down  To Malaga in November so I want this rectified.