Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 95 on Mintex Discs and pads - AVOID

Slobbo

Hi guys,

FYI I replaced my front and rear discs and pads in July 2017 with Mintex discs and pads (used them before and have been happy) but less than 10000 miles later am having to replace them again as these ones are warped.  MOT tester has confirmed after putting it on his brake tester.  I actually believe these have been warped for a long while but I have also been dealing with a knock on the front suspension which has taken an age because I basically replaced every bush and balljoint there is over the last 6 months of so.  

I have contacted Mintex to advise them as either they have a quality issue or the supplier I dealt with is supplying knock offs.  As they are two years old I am not expecting them to do anything but it is disappointing none the less.  I know the calipers are and have been working as expected so not sure what else might have caused the issue.  

I am now looking for replacements.  Suggestions (based on established experience please).  Can you still get OEM?

I am always worried when soemone says the discs are warped.  The problem of judder is due to un-even surface, mainly brake shoe deposits, or other cr*p embedded in disc surface. 

I assume some pads will deposit more junk, and hard braking and then leaving foot on brake will enable the disc heat to bind some of the pad onto the disc, so always foot of brake and put into park or use handbrake.

Trouble is re-skimming a disc is usually as expensive as replacing.

Lexus OEM parts are still around, I had mine done on front a few months back, about £350 (I recall) - this included new shims, and seemed like only about £100 more than going 3rd party.  Been as good gold so far, and fingers crossed they will stay that way.

• Like 2

Yes I wonder if that is really the case as well but the machine don’t lie (allegedly). I’ll buy new kit but I know Stuart will check things out before replacing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I just don't think the Mintex name is what it once was. I've always been happy with Blueprint discs but I'm not even sure if they're as good now.  Try the Lexus eBay shop, their prices for brakes aren't bad.

My garage using OEM parts was only about  £100 more than using 3rd party, well worth it in my view, and after 11K brakes still work a treat whether low or high speed braking, and no judder, and I probably could stop on a sixpence, but I like my face the way it is, rather than embedded in the steering wheel

1 hour ago, LexusPartsDirect said:

You do indeed.  I purchased these exact parts from you a week or two ago.  Not managed to get them fitted but have arrived safe and sound.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a knocking noise under braking at slow speeds when i had my 5 series BMW fitted with Eurocarparts Eicher discs and pads.... although nothing obvious and everything fitted as it should it was the brake pads that caused the knock.

On a car such as The Lexus i would stick with genuine parts ... Its a premium motor so should be kept that way as much as possible

• 6 months later...

Make sure when you put the new discs on, the contact area/rims are spotless clean. A bit of corrosion here can cause them to not seat squarely and hence run out of true. Wire brush and clean up is essential.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MLW said:

Make sure when you put the new discs on, the contact area/rims are spotless clean. A bit of corrosion here can cause them to not seat squarely and hence run out of true. Wire brush and clean up is essential.

Agree, ensure the hub flange face ( where the wheel studs stick out) is spotlessly cleaned.

Had Mintex Discs (rear Drilled + Front undrilled)  and Mintex brake pads front and rear since April 2014. Rock solid performance.

Stop me on a sixpence. Do have Goodrich wirewound Hose to each. 

Must be 20k miles at least since changed.  Bought a set of OE Lexus front pads that I thought might come in handy three years ago but sat in a drawer with no sign I'll ever need them.     

Fantastic product so don't knock them.  Its people who fail to clean the hub properly before fitting and who also fail to slowly let the parts bed in that causes issues. Too many people can't wait to feel the bite as soon as fitted and then complain about warped discs and judder after a short while. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links