Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Collected my SC today.

Ian M

I have been to collect my SC today, and after a 210 mile drive home, I have to say I am impressed.  Very comfortable on the motorway and, if the on board system is to be believed, I averaged 32.2mpg.  I haven't re-brimmed the tank, so that figure hasn't been checked, but it is not bad for a steady 75 cruise up the M5 followed by a stop start crawl up the M42. 

The car has a full Lexus history until 2 years ago but since the June 2017 MOT has done less than 1,600 miles.  It was serviced last week and the cam belt/water pump were done, so it should be good to go.  My only minor quibble is that it has 4 different tyres on it, one brand new Falken, one Pirelli with only a few miles on it and two different Dunlops both of which are down to about 4mm.

IMG_20190702_153507.jpg

IMG_20190702_155343.jpg

• Like 7

Looks fantastic, I love the colour.  I would say you're about right with the MPG, mine has the same engine and I can manage 31-34 easily enough. 

• Thanks 1

Was admiring one of these earlier when I picked my GS up after a bit of work. I can remember how much I disliked them when they came out, but I think they look great now!

The mpg calculator on mine is the most accurate I've ever experienced, so hopefully yours will be the same...

• Like 1

Looks fantastic, particularly with the cream leather.  Your RX is same colour as mine, not very common and beautful.

Looks like a Falken and Pirelli purchase and ditch the Dunlops.

1 hour ago, steveledzep said:

Looks like a Falken and Pirelli purchase and ditch the Dunlops.

The only issue is that the Falken is a W rating, whereas Lexus specified Y for the SC.  Not that I am expecting to get above 168mph very often.... 

• Haha 1

That is a great colour combination, at 2009 one of the last. I've matched that mpg, once. Now with town and spirited driving more like 25.

That rear view of our cars is just one of the best designs ever.

• Like 1

Stunning looking car and one of the best colour and trim combinations...well after blue 😉...enjoy 👍🏻

As to your tyres.. treat the car to a new set Dunlop’s and use the Mobil company Tyres on my drive ..very good price 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, after a fortnight of ownership. 

The car has been to my friendly local mechanic and up on his ramps.  Clean bill of health from him, which is good news.  The only issue we spotted was some corrosion on the input to the rear silencer box, but that's not entirely surprising on a 10 year old car so I am not worried. 

New tyres have been sourced, and with 4 matching tyres, the car runs straight and handles nicely.  

I have also sourced a new can of tyre goo (the old one was missing) and a couple of carpet clips to replace broken ones on the driver's side.  The driver's side windscreen washer nozzles have also been unblocked (not sure how it passed that element of the MOT the state it was in) and new wiper blades fitted. 

Detailed examination of the bodywork reveals a couple of scratches, but nothing too serious, and a small dent in the bumper just under the rear numberplate.  Not sure why I didn't spot that one before I bought it, I guess it's only obvious when the light catches it a certain way.  Looking at it, I guess the dent is a parking incident with another vehicle which had a tow ball, it is exactly the right size and height.  I will get them all sorted sometime. 

Driving it with the roof down is great, and since the weather is so good, I have hardly driven it roof up! 

All in all, very pleased. 

66898406_10156068777376402_8197902621604839424_n.jpg

67161523_10156068777341402_8731620568048074752_n.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, Ian M said:

The only issue is that the Falken is a W rating, whereas Lexus specified Y for the SC.  Not that I am expecting to get above 168mph very often.... 

Ian, I would change that Falken pretty swiftly as you may well invalidate your insurance, which stipulates to be as  manufacturer specification. Love the car by the way ..... years of enjoyment there 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

Ian, I would change that Falken pretty swiftly as you may well invalidate your insurance, which stipulates to be as  manufacturer specification. Love the car by the way ..... years of enjoyment there 

My thoughts too, and I am not a fan of such a mixed selection either.  It now sits on 4 nicely matched tyres, all of which are the correct specification and load rating. 

• Like 2