Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashboard warning message: Traction battery low charges when not in N position

Hi, this morning I pulled over to the side of road to check an email. I did not turn the car off because I thought it would only be a minute, but I ended up stay there to write a long reply. And...

After about 20mins, a continuous buzzer sounds and the master warning light came on and flashes. A message displyed on the dashboard: “Traction Battery Low Charges when not in N position”.

The warning light/sound and message disappered after I restarted the car.

I only just bought this IS300h few days ago as second hand and this is my first Lexus and hybred car so I am sure if this is just a normal warning of my “bad behaviour” for leaving the car running while stop? Or there is a fault in the car?

Please help, thanks.

C5337964-068A-4D1F-A31F-364341980F50.jpeg

Hi and welcome to 300h ownership.

If you leave the car in N with the ignition on it will discharge the traction Battery.
If you are parking up, even for a short period then leave the car in P, that way if the traction Battery discharges the engine will cut in and recharge it.

Hope that helps a little

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As Jason above says. Never leave the car in neutral. It is the only gear position where the engine once stopped cannot restart, and hence charge the HV Battery. If this occurs the 12 volt Battery can also become discharged as this is charged from the HV Battery. If the HV Battery become discharged below a cirtain point the engine cannot start as the HV Battery is used for this purpose, and will require transport to the dealer to recharge it. 
Having the AC on in neutral will discharge the HV Battery very quickly.

John.

• Like 1

I never use neutral. When I stop and stay in the car I either leave the car in normal with brakes on or Park mode. In automatic cars Neutral should be only used very rarely and in specific situations like the car behing pulled.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BrunoLeal said:

In automatic cars Neutral should be only used very rarely and in specific situations like the car behing pulled.

With the greatest of respect, that's not right.

Nothing wrong whatsoever with putting the handbrake on and the car in Neutral when waiting at traffic lights or whatever - but only in a 'standard' auto though, not a hybrid.

• Like 1

It's just my opinion and not because its6an hybrid. I did this in all my automatic cars. What's the difference in effort between putting the car in park mode or neutral plus hand brake?

Thank you guys for the answer and advice. Guess I will have to change the bad habit of parking in neutral... but I am glad its not a fault.

(But Lexus should change the message displayed as it says " ... Low Charge when "Not" in N", but I was actually in N... confusing message.)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ian2019 said:

But Lexus should change the message displayed as it says " ... Low Charge when "Not" in N", but I was actually in N... confusing message.

Looks like they missed out a full stop. It should read "Traction Battery low. Charges when not in Neutral"

1 hour ago, BrunoLeal said:

It's just my opinion and not because its6an hybrid. I did this in all my automatic cars

So you did put the car in Neutral? Or not?

1 hour ago, BrunoLeal said:

What's the difference in effort between putting the car in park mode or neutral plus hand brake?

Nothing - but you didn't say that to begin with. 

You said, "In automatic cars Neutral should be only used very rarely and in specific situations like the car behing pulled." which made it sound like something would be damaged if the car was put into Neutral. I was just pointing out that that's wrong - no damage will be caused at all and it's perfectly acceptable to put the car into Neutral when waiting at lights.

In non hybrid automatics putting the box into neutral will cause extra wear on the clutch and brake bands. Owner's handbook usually recommend keeping this in D unless stopped for prolonged periods, when one should shift into P. 

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

In non hybrid automatics putting the box into neutral will cause extra wear on the clutch and brake bands. Owner's handbook usually recommend keeping this in D unless stopped for prolonged periods, when one should shift into P. 

I've been driving autos for over 30 years and never heard of that, nor has any owners manual that I've had mentioned it either.

I'm not convinced.

25 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I've been driving autos for over 30 years and never heard of that, nor has any owners manual that I've had mentioned it either.

I'm not convinced.

Answer #13 in this link explains it quite well, it's long but in the last half it talks about using neutral 

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/5739/use-of-neutral-gear-in-automatic-transmission

This from my CLS handbook

"Stopping
When you stop briefly, e.g. at traffic lights:
Leave the transmission in gear.
Hold the vehicle with the brake.
When you stop longer with the engine
idling and/or on a hill:
Set the parking brake.
Move the gear selector lever to
position P."

On 7/3/2019 at 9:48 AM, Herbie said:

I'm not convinced.

Nemesis is correct - providing its extended periods of time. 

Neutral is actually only there to be able to move the vehicle without driving it. i.e. rolling etc

On 7/3/2019 at 10:25 AM, NemesisUK said:

Answer #13 in this link explains it quite well, it's long but in the last half it talks about using neutral 

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/5739/use-of-neutral-gear-in-automatic-transmission

This from my CLS handbook

"Stopping
When you stop briefly, e.g. at traffic lights:
Leave the transmission in gear.
Hold the vehicle with the brake.
When you stop longer with the engine
idling and/or on a hill:
Set the parking brake.
Move the gear selector lever to
position P."

I must admit that I didn't know that, but having read that post #13 you refer to, I'm still not convinced that it does any appreciable harm to select Neutral - the slipping must be so slight as to be negligible.

I would also question the validity of that last point from your CLS handbook. If the car is in P and you get hit from behind then you stand to have a lot of damage to the gearbox as the parking pawl isn't designed to take such force.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2017 Lexus CT200h and I frequently visit the drive thru car wash and I have to put my car in neutral to go through the car wash. I've been doing this for the past year or so. Today I got the low Battery warning message, I can't recall now exactly what the message said but the yellow warning light started flashing and bell was dinging while i was in the middle of the car wash. When I came out of car wash I immediately put my car in drive and left.   From skimming through the posted messages it appears that putting my car in neutral is damaging my car. Should I stay away from drive through car washes? 

44 minutes ago, LGD said:

I have a 2017 Lexus CT200h and I frequently visit the drive thru car wash and I have to put my car in neutral to go through the car wash. I've been doing this for the past year or so. Today I got the low battery warning message, I can't recall now exactly what the message said but the yellow warning light started flashing and bell was dinging while i was in the middle of the car wash. When I came out of car wash I immediately put my car in drive and left.   From skimming through the posted messages it appears that putting my car in neutral is damaging my car. Should I stay away from drive through car washes? 

Yes because they damage the paint!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, LGD said:

Should I stay away from drive through car washes? 

Better using car washes where the car is steady and washer moves on rails trought all car lenght.

Almost all of modern washes are made so nowadays.

it appears that putting my car in neutral is damaging my car. Should I stay away from drive through car washes? 

Undoubtedly yes.

As has been said above, it discharges the Battery if it's in Neutral and also it's very bad for the paint.

Surely you should be able to find a hand wash in your area? If so, that's the one to go for.

6 hours ago, Herbie said:

Undoubtedly yes.

As has been said above, it discharges the battery if it's in Neutral and also it's very bad for the paint.

Surely you should be able to find a hand wash in your area? If so, that's the one to go for.

Even some hand washes are not good.

A very strong cleaner is often applied at cheaper hand car washes that makes the clean quick and easy, but which is highly damaging to paintwork, alloys, etc.

Watch out!

25 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Even some hand washes are not good.

A very strong cleaner is often applied at cheaper hand car washes that makes the clean quick and easy, but which is highly damaging to paintwork, alloys, etc.

Watch out!

Always good to observe prospective sites, watch how many times they drop a cloth and reapply it to the car!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Always good to observe prospective sites, watch how many times they drop a cloth and reapply it to the car!

They also tend to employ cheap (and sometimes illegal) labour, do they have liability insurance?

So I think either go to a reputable car valeter or do it yourself.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LGD said:

When I came out of car wash I immediately put my car in drive and left.   From skimming through the posted messages it appears that putting my car in neutral is damaging my car. Should I stay away from drive through car washes? 

If the traction Battery discharges then it cannot recharge, only then is it bad. I guess you arrived at the car wash with a particularly low state of charge.

If you continue to use that car wash then limit the Battery drain by switching off headlights, A/C and Stereo whilst going through it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links