Recommended Posts

On 7/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, jonthetourist said:

Thanks for this, Brian. I am curious how you got the results from Vehicle Smart when they don't publish the reg?

 

🤣😁 As for the fails it was the advisory's that got me as they seemed to be consistent and that would lead me to believe the car was not looked after at all - any of my cars that failed on something small (we have a different way of doing MOT's over here and they are VERY strict) it was immediately rectified and therefore would not show up again.  Another one (possibly me reading into it too much) was the one about the number plate - usually done here by the boy racer types so adding 2 and 2 together (bad tyres, spaced number plate) I have expected to see it videoed sliding round a B road somewhere driven by a baseball hat wearing yoof 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

weird I seem to have lost the first paragraph 😕 anyway basically the reg is on the V5C in the last photo of the link of pictures you posted 🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

weird I seem to have lost the first paragraph 😕 anyway basically the reg is on the V5C in the last photo of the link of pictures you posted 🙂

 

 

Oh good spot! I missed that but called to ask. I think I need the VIN now . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to keep everyone updated on the saga. Lexus Battersea first of all told me they had no record of the car - gulp - then confirmed it from the VIN as it had been on a private plate. Which I had suspected because of the MOT fail on letter spacing. So the service history is confirmed, as is the timing belt replacement in 2014.

Meanwhile the guy who missed out on a local 430 recently and has already had a ride in my current car might be coming to look with a view to buying. The dealers offered me £3k as a trade-in, and I have said I will take that rather than holding out for a better price. 

So my current plan is to buy the car, let Osaka climb all over it as they are better than a main dealer imho, and identify anything that needs doing, then enjoy it for at least a decade.

Wish me luck!

Jon

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jonthetourist said:

Wish me luck!

certainly do

Malc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the best 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jonthetourist said:

Just to keep everyone updated on the saga. Lexus Battersea first of all told me they had no record of the car - gulp - then confirmed it from the VIN as it had been on a private plate. Which I had suspected because of the MOT fail on letter spacing. So the service history is confirmed, as is the timing belt replacement in 2014.

Meanwhile the guy who missed out on a local 430 recently and has already had a ride in my current car might be coming to look with a view to buying. The dealers offered me £3k as a trade-in, and I have said I will take that rather than holding out for a better price. 

So my current plan is to buy the car, let Osaka climb all over it as they are better than a main dealer imho, and identify anything that needs doing, then enjoy it for at least a decade.

Wish me luck!

Jon

Sounds like a plan all round, and if you sell onto chap who just missed out on the recent local 430, then even better.

I wonder how many of us are around Glos area for a social gathering.  Mind you my 400 looks like rather tatty compared to these pristine 430's being talked about

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck! Make sure you post some pictures when you buy it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news that the history and car are all checking out. If your local chap wants to buy your current LS430 at a price you are both happy with, then I would go that route.

I've been quoted a trade in price over the phone by a few dealers on previous cars and when I've turned up, they have ALWAYS kicked the tyres and then offered less than agreed over the phone. The size of the reduction in the trade in is usually commensurate to the distance I have travelled to see the dealers car!

All the best with your purchase, let us know how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you find a well worn baseball hat in the boot and wires for an external sub woofer don't say I didn't warn you 🤣 but having proof of the cam belt is a good thing and I must say I did slightly jump at my own car as it was the only one available at the time (and even now there are none for sale over here) good luck and happy motoring  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I p/exed my 2005 RX300 sel (air suspension playing up) for an RX450 at Lexus Bolton 2 years ago, the 300 went to Moses Gate and went up for sale at twice the price of the p/x value.I presume it was sold as it was no longer advertised before they stopped trading They had quite a few Lexus advertised at the same time at prices that seemed to be beyond what the market as a whole was asking.It seems that this is the case with Stellar Motors.You pays your money................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2019 at 3:26 PM, Stupot said:

Good news that the history and car are all checking out. If your local chap wants to buy your current LS430 at a price you are both happy with, then I would go that route.

I've been quoted a trade in price over the phone by a few dealers on previous cars and when I've turned up, they have ALWAYS kicked the tyres and then offered less than agreed over the phone. The size of the reduction in the trade in is usually commensurate to the distance I have travelled to see the dealers car!

All the best with your purchase, let us know how it goes.

I think you are right about the dealers. They are obviously in a strong bargaining position once you have arrived. So it has now gone to a good home locally, which is great. I will leave him to advise the forum on the details, as it is his car now.

Temporarily Lexus-less!

Jon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's tricky, deciding to stick with a car (model) you like as it ages, or thinking "I've had that one and enjoyed it, now....."

Certainly there are no cars that have that 'feel' of an LS.

Setright had it that if you see a driver in a jam actually smiling, he will actually be enjoying his car (He might have been talking about a Citroen CX....) but the idea applies here.

The concept of price is irrelevant. It's a £50K car still. Or factor in the billions it took to conceive!

They wanted to make the best car irrespective of cost.

I still miss my old Ser 4.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jonthetourist said:

I think you are right about the dealers. They are obviously in a strong bargaining position once you have arrived. So it has now gone to a good home locally, which is great. I will leave him to advise the forum on the details, as it is his car now.

That's a good outcome for you both.

12 hours ago, jonthetourist said:

Temporarily Lexus-less!

Not for long I suspect :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, jonthetourist said:

I think you are right about the dealers. They are obviously in a strong bargaining position once you have arrived. So it has now gone to a good home locally, which is great. I will leave him to advise the forum on the details, as it is his car now.

Temporarily Lexus-less!

Jon

Jon if you sold your LS privately did you not get the 3k you wanted to purchase the your upgrade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

Jon if you sold your LS privately did you not get the 3k you wanted to purchase the your upgrade?

I haven't been to do the transaction yet, but chose to sell mine in advance to avoid being a in a weak negotiating position with the dealer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the deed is done - yes,  I have updated my profile from 2004 Briarwood Pearl to 2004 Flint Mica.  Oh and spent some money . . .

The car was not perfect,  but pretty sound.  3 keys,  and the original PDI document was a bonus.  Drove very well,  and without any rattles. I am hopeful that once I have had it a year it will be closer to perfect - wheel refurb,  paint touch up etc. 

Five years from now it should have done litres than 80k miles,  for two owners,  and a full Lexus history,  so I think it should still be worth a premium price if I wanted to sell it. Which is unlikely.  

Thanks for all the input. 

Jon

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.