Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DAB not very strong

I am finding the DAB strength is not great even Radio 1 which is usually a strong signal struggles. I assume this is down to the stuck on antenna on the windscreen?

Also notice the volume seems to go high and low is that normal?

• Like 1

No issues whatever regarding DAB reception across the south. I drive from east to west quite often and have never experienced drop-out. This is with my previous Merc and current RC.

Suggest getting the antenna checked out along with the amplifier?

4 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

No issues whatever regarding DAB reception across the south. I drive from east to west quite often and have never experienced drop-out. This is with my previous Merc and current RC.

The volume issue only happens on DAB, if you use any other source it works perfectly.

6 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Think that possibly you are travelling in good signal areas. There are specific locations I regularly travel where DAB whatever station is selected will totally drop out This has been in the last 5 years with 2 minis, 2 Mercedes (one with upgraded sound) and 3 Lexus (all had ML sound systems). 

I  always get drop out on the M5 junction 13 Stroud, Kidderminster Town, and various locations in the Shropshire Hills. 

I think you are probably correct that the OP has an issue with the car equipment.

DAB drops out happens quite often in Scotland, I would say mostly it is rubbish coverage, but when you get the coverage the sound is better than FM radio. Funnily enough some dab channels sounds better and lowder then the other. I found that in a few cars not just Lexus with ML.

Confirmed its not the amplifier, as I mentioned all other sources are fine.  Will listening to DAB I can see the volume changes when it losses 'POP M', basically strength issue.  I know I am in a rural area, however my Nissan Leaf which has a far better antenna works perfectly and almost never drops.  So I think I am convinced its to do with the antenna strength not being great.  I will check that out more when I am in town one day.

Can’t say that I’ve noticed any problems with the DAB volume, but the number of receivable stations vary from 8 to 12 pages worth depending where I am around the Edinburgh area. Plus a while back in the Ratho area, the radio changed from one transmitter to another and there was a 1-2 second pause, but the music picked up on the second transmitter where it left off of the first.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:25 AM, NemesisUK said:

Try coming up North, around the Tebay area M6 it's a complete dead spot, (DAB & FM)

On 7/7/2019 at 3:12 PM, jpower said:

Gosh I found a backward solution, can you believe the FM is working fine, better then DAB. 

It makes me laugh that they had intended ditching fm radio several years ago until someone realised DAB wasn't the panacea for all ills. Today I drove from Shrewsbury to Gloucester and until I got South of Gloucester City I had perfect reception on BBC Radio Shropshire on FM. 👍

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

It makes me laugh that they had intended ditching fm radio several years ago until someone realised DAB wasn't the panacea for all ills

They still do, it never went away.

There has to be a certain percentage of the population using DAB, can't remember if it's 50 or 75%) and then once they hit that target, FM gets switched off.

• 1 month later...

I get the same on my 2009 RX450H, there's a kilometre-long patch on the ring-road round Sheffield where the DAB goes very quiet and breaks up, depending on the car's speed and the weather.

Rain absorbs microwaves, so my TV reception is crap on wet days and breaks up if it's windy, too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1