Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New tyres vs trade in time

floggit

So ive less than 6months to go before before trade in time and looking at a new ux, however the ct needs new front tyres.

the car is on a lexus finance pcp arrangement.

tbh i dont want to buy premium like for like tyres and get 4/5months use then trade in. Seems a waste. Is there any reason why cheaper different brand tyres would cause an issue on the trade in?

cheers.

Although I normally would not use them myself maybe a couple of used branded tyres would see you through for a short period. Alternatively bye new budget tyres. Although there are some very bad tyres on the market two types I can recommend "having used them myself" are Landsail, and Three A. Both have good ratings particularly the Landsail with B for fuel economy B for wet grip and a low noise level of 68db.
Dependent on size you should be able to get them supplied and fitted for around £60 each.

John.

• Thanks 1

Shame you are at the other end of the country from me. I’ve got a hardly used set of the oem tyres in the garage as I swapped them for cross climates before winter set in. 

• Thanks 1

The dealers Ive traded my car in to always looked at the tyres to see if they were premium branded or not and wrote it down on handover. 

They expect that some buyers will ask them to change budget tyres out to premium ones. Go with a premium tyre, doesn't have to be matching to the rears.

• Thanks 1

Hmm, thanks for the input, ill consider for a bit but swaying towards premium then .Ill still get the use for a bit and have no issues on trade in day.

When I buy a car, it is invariably second hand low mileage for its age. This inevitably means that it has had at least some of the tyres changed. If the car has budget tyres, I assume the same care has been taken on other important issues like maintenance and walk away.An odd tyre often means that the car has had a puncture and has had a tyre fitted to replace a ruined tyre without the owner caring to match it with a similar tyre on the same axle. Again, reason to walk away. Four matching newish tyres of recognisable manufacture means that someone has  been bothered to try to look after the car and that's the one I get interested in. I rotate my tyres so that they wear  at the same rate and they all get renewed at the same time. I carry a spare so that I dont have to settle for an odd tyre in an emergency but can find a suitable replacement at my own convenience. An old fashioned approach but it works for me.

steve have you thought of trading in now rather than in 6 months time

there is nothing to stop you from trading in before the pcp duration has come to an end

and then you wouldn't have to buy any tyres.

8 hours ago, 200h said:

steve have you thought of trading in now rather than in 6 months time

there is nothing to stop you from trading in before the pcp duration has come to an end

and then you wouldn't have to buy any tyres.

Hi, mark yes i have, we recently decided to step up to a ux so are using the time to save a little more for deposit. Ill just put premiums on then theres no possible issues.

I think that, in your place, I would approach the dealer, explaining that you are about to get another Lexus yada yada yada... They may be willing to help out in some way, and at least should be able to give you a discount on the tyres. I have often bought (premium) tyres from my dealer in the past as they proved to be cheaper than anywhere else.

Don't ask don't get.

i would look for immediate trade in, as long as the tyres are legal then you should have no problems. Bear in mind a new car can take months to arrive, unless you buy pre registered

21 hours ago, Steve said:

i would look for immediate trade in, as long as the tyres are legal then you should have no problems. Bear in mind a new car can take months to arrive, unless you buy pre registered

Whilst thats true, I think the minimum tread depth on Lexus approved used cars is around 5-6mm. They'll change the tyres if below that so they take this into account on trade in. They'll also reduce their px amount by Lexus prices to cover themselves, its always cheaper to get them changed and then p/x

22 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Whilst thats true, I think the minimum tread depth on Lexus approved used cars is around 5-6mm. They'll change the tyres if below that so they take this into account on trade in. They'll also reduce their px amount by Lexus prices to cover themselves, its always cheaper to get them changed and then p/x

I would play on the fact that if they want the new sale then they will try their hardest to get him to trade in. At the end of the day the cost of tyres comes from a totally different budget and i don't think they will be that fussed. I am a hard negotiator and i fine pick all finance quotations and make them work for the new sale. The car should have a better future guaranteed value trading it in 6 months early.

I think he is in good favour. Just need to be hard with them.

First get the quotation and see how it fairs. If the deal is not good then change later.

Only thing is even if its traded in he will still have to wait for the new car, which might not work anyway.

Bugger, i put new tyres on monday. Ah well at least its done.

just had a letter from lexus of the summer event coming up so will look at the UX then. Next time round ill be better prepared.