Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF brake squeal

OK so our 2017 RCF has reached 10k miles and now sounds like a 1970s ford with the pads down to the metal when braking. Car was serviced 2 months ago. 

Took it in to Lexus dealer last week and had the problem investigated including a full stripdown and clean of all the brake components (at my expense). brake pads and discs were deemed to be in good condition with minimal wear. Dust was cleaned away. (Remember the service was only a few weeks before)

Car came back quiet, but only for a couple of days. Noise is now back with a vengeance. It really does sound like an old car that someone’s  forgotten to put the anti squeal shims in. 

Have been onto the dealer again today and had the matter referred to Technical Field Manager. Got the expected response about sintered pad material and normal for high performance car brakes to squeal. 

I did mention the Lexus USA technical bulletin on this matter, but due to different safety regulations, longer stopping distances etc we don’t get the option of having Lexus fit the Toyota street compound pads to resolve the issue under warranty here in the UK.

It looks like the only way to stop the screech every time I brake is to change the pads to aftermarket ones. EBC yellow look favourite compromise although they are showing out of stock for the rears at the moment. 

Anyone else here in the UK that’s suffered the same problem and managed to resolve it, either with Lexus or via aftermarket pads?

I know there are previous threads about this problem on various forums, but given the response today I thought it worth a mention.

I will ensure that I count how many supercars sound this bad when I go to Beaulieu next month. If all the cars there sound similar when braking, I probably owe Lexus an apology!

J

As far as i am aware they have already  got replacement pads for the RC-F, my LC has the same squealing problem but for some reason the pads for the RC-F are not the same part number as the LC and i have been told that Lexus are looking into the problem and replacement pads should be available for the LC around September.

There are a few threads over on the USA RCF forum about squealing brakes, it seems Endless MX72 from Nengun Performance are popular but expensive, may be worth you checking out the various threads relating to it. I'm a few thousand miles less than you but have not noticed any squeal yet (now isn't that just tempting fate)

I understand we have yet another mutual acquaintance in Matt from the Lotus Anorak group.

do you know if they removed the brake pistons for inspection?

if you look at the callipers you will see that the pistons on the leading edge a smaller, then they get progressively bigger, this is done so that the leading edge of the pad makes contact first, generally if there is any signs of corrosion on this small piston it means the pad is contacting the pad flat at which point you have a significant pressure difference between the front and rear pistons and the centre piston is acting as a pivot, allowing the pads to squeal at low breaking force, does it stop under heavy braking?

1 hour ago, wendle said:

As far as i am aware they have already  got replacement pads for the RC-F, my LC has the same squealing problem but for some reason the pads for the RC-F are not the same part number as the LC and i have been told that Lexus are looking into the problem and replacement pads should be available for the LC around September.

Hmmm, no mention of any replacement pads from Lexus today, unless my 2017 came already fitted with an upgrade on the original 2015 model?  

The Toyota street pad that they mentioned for the USA market was dismissed for the Uk for several reasons including stopping distance.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Unfortunately part and parcel of having high performance brakes, Audis seem to suffer really badly, especially the RS model

I didn’t know that about RS’s. Never had any issues with my AMGs or my Mustang with Brembos. 

I have fitted EBC Reds to my fronts (I'm aware I am a GSF, but I too had terrible brake squeal) and I was very low on my last health check during service, currently in the bedding in process, currently 0 squeal but will be better equipped to say 'resolved' after a few more miles. I would imagine the EBC yellows would be up to scratch.

I've noted a squeal coming from my brakes aswell, I assume it's doing it to copy my RX! 😂

Only noticed it a week or so after I got home from picking her up from the dealer.

It seems to be under lighter brake applications, but will check tomorrow.

13 hours ago, wendle said:

I had the same problem with the brakes squealing took it to Lexus, they had to get in a special grease which did not work on there third attempt they replaced the pads under warranty all is quite now. It only took them a week to get the pads.  

Interesting, more of a little mouse squeak from my brakes under light braking only, but it’s definitely there. Unlike my isf where the brakes were always quiet. I’m waiting to see if goes away or becomes worse now it’s being driven daily. 

Mine squeaked a bit a couple of years ago. I would guess it was about 10k miles from new as well, but I'm not certain.  The dealer took it out to try a set of hard stops, but that didn't really help. The noise went away a couple of months later and has not returned

19 hours ago, rayaans said:

Unfortunately part and parcel of having high performance brakes, Audis seem to suffer really badly, especially the RS model

This. 

A couple of good, firm stops from high speed makes the problem go away on my GSF, but only for a day or so, then it’s back. Gotta drive the car harder, fella! :driving:

On 7/4/2019 at 6:02 PM, Rompy said:

I did mention the Lexus USA technical bulletin on this matter, but due to different safety regulations, longer stopping distances etc we don’t get the option of having Lexus fit the Toyota street compound pads to resolve the issue under warranty here in the UK.

There is a TSB in the UK on the RC F to get the pads replaced with ones that don't squeak. CP-0027L-0416. Go to a different dealer if they aren't helpful or incompetent to find it.

Unfortunately for me the GS F isn't included, even though it has the exact brake system as the RC F and suffers the same problem 😞

CP-0027L-0416_IR.pdf 

11 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

There is a TSB in the UK on the RC F to get the pads replaced with ones that don't squeak. CP-0027L-0416. Go to a different dealer if they aren't helpful or incompetent to find it.

Unfortunately for me the GS F isn't included, even though it has the exact brake system as the RC F and suffers the same problem 😞

CP-0027L-0416_IR.pdf 147.33 kB · 4 downloads  

That’s really interesting Colin. I will see what the same dealer has to say about this before going to another. It appears that they based their original response to me on information from the “Lexus Technical Field Manager”. I have no idea if this person is dealer based or head office.  Either way, I thank you for the ammunition to raise the matter with some force and hopefully get rid of this ridiculous noise. 

Sorry to hear the GSF isn’t included though. 

Finally, I’m trying to build a relationship with my dealer so haven’t named them on the thread. It doesn’t take much to work out who they are once you know which carbon edition I bought. So far I’ve paid a reasonable sum to have the brakes stripped and cleaned. I’m now expecting a closure of this matter with replacement pads at no cost. It would be good to get a positive conclusion to this thread to help others. I will update.   

J

• 2 months later...

Just to bring this thread to conclusion.

The dealer obtained LEXUS approval for the alternative pads all round. These were fitted under warranty last week and 300 miles later I haven’t heard a single squeak. I can’t detect any difference in braking effort or stopping distance. There also seems to be less dust generated  

I was reminded on collection that these replacement pads are not suitable for track use and I should let the next owner know if I sell the car.

J

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The squealing from my brakes seems to be less frequent, certainly not noticed it as much.

I believe these pads were replaced under warranty due to a different issue prior to my ownership, so they should still be fairly new.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:12 PM, ColinBarber said:

Excellent result 🙂

IMO the RC or more likely to the tracked than the GS so I don't understand their reasoning for not allowing this TSB for the GS 😞

Im also baffled to why this TSB doesn’t also apply to the GSF. I wonder if the dealer would fit  these pads from the TSB if I was paying for my brakes to be replaced when the time comes or if / when they start to squeal?

3 minutes ago, Killysprint said:

Initial bite and feel is better than the originals.

they seem to produce less dust too, which is great as the std wheels are a pain in the bum to clean!

True that! Just tried to clean mine today 😐