Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of buying a used is250 - where should I compromise?

I have a fiat 500 which is frankly pretty crap but fortunately still worth about £2.3k (if private sale)

Looking to upgrade to something with a few more features, such as heated seats, cruise control, want an auto with a bit more room etc. And came across the IS250 which is touted as lasting forever and could be within my budget (sale price of fiat +£1k max). 

My questions are:

Is the IS250 really as reliable as everyone claims?

What should I prioritise in my search? I've never had a 60k+ mile car before but from what people say on here that doesnt seem to matter much with appropriate service history. Should I be comfortable looking at 100k+ or even 120k+ to get a newer model with the right spec and service history? 

Appreciate the help! 

mostly nothing to worry about on a 100k + Lexus so long as its had a full service history preferably at the dealer but dont be put off by non dealer services as an oil change is an oil change pretty much regardless of who does it.... best to go for car with less owners. 250 engine is chain driven so does not require cam belt change.. make sure the spark plugs has been changed if over 100k else you can negotiate a discount for that.. so long as engine starts ok without hesitation, no signs of leakage from the engine area or radiator area and shifts through gears effortlessly without hesitation then you pretty much good to go.. if you don't really know what to look out for best to pay the AA as they have a service for checking out vehicles for potential buyers and advice what might need changing.. most things like exhaust, radiator and suspension would be nearing replacement pretty much standard for most cars around this age. so  that should be something to keep in mind in your ownership and get those done as a preventative move mainly the radiator. and get the gearbox oil drained and refilled if over 100k..  these are few things to have in mind others on here might add somethings i may have forgotten.. 

This is quite a common query. Yes, the IS250 is one of the most reliable cars around. That's not to say they never go wrong or don't need maintenance, but if looked after will be a pretty safe ownership bet. Be aware that legroom is quite restrictive and there's not a great deal of headroom either. If that's an issue - the GS300 might be a better bet.

For a 3K budget, wanting the auto box rather than manual (is the best option and saves on road tax). you will mostly be looking at 2006/2007 models with over 100K on them. I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage, they take the mileage pretty well. I'd be looking at how it's been looked after - when and how was it serviced, is there any receipts for work done, what does the MOT history tell you, etc. I always check the tyres, mixed brands across the axle and/or budget no-brands suggests it's not been well maintained.

There's a full buyer's guide here but the major things to look out for are corroded exhaust, sticking brake calipers, leaking shocks. Also spark plugs are expensive to replace as they're difficult to get to and they would officially be due for replacement at 120K miles    

Good luck with your search

As the guys say, mileage shouldn't be a worry. As well as being chain-driven, the engine also has a forged crank & rods and is built to last. The gearbox also seems to be very strong since reported problems are extremely rare.

A quick look on Autotrader suggests that even a nice-looking SE-L with FLSH and less than 100K is well within your budget.

Just to add the same - best place to compromise is on mileage, because you really should not worry about it. However, you should not compromise on service history. Secondly, make sure you get exactly the car you want with all options you want - retrofitting or modifying anything on Lexus is next to impossible and always works out more expensive than simply getting car with all option straight away.

As said above - look for SE-L with options you like and as long as service history check outs and price suits you, there isn't much to check about the cars.

Bargaining points could be stuck or sticking brakes which are common thing. On higher miles older cars expect to have bit of rust on exhaust - if spotted could save you few £ if seller is willing to sell.

Big thumbs up for looking at an is250. Forget the is220d. Try to find one with the se-l trim level. Afaik only option was the mark levinson stereo and the moonroof. If you can find one with both you will have a rare beast.

Don't forget the only 'other' option of ACC ( Adaptive Cruise Control) and yes proper Unicorn stuff aparrently...cough cough!

paul m.

On the 2006/2007 models, watch out for flaking paint on the alloy wheels and also the ‘dip on reverse’ wing mirrors failing if you go for the SE-L cars. 

We have had a 2007 SE-L and a 2011 facelift SE-L. Both have been brilliant cars. We only recently sold the 2011 model with 110000k on the clock and it drove like the day I bought it, just under 8 years ago with 19k. Highly recommended. 

The SE-L trim is easily identifiable as it is the only model to have the high lacquer wood ( and it is real wood, supplied by Yamaha-the musical company not the motorbikes!) inserts in the cabin.

oh and the only one to get the electric rear sun-shade.

paul m.

Oh, one negative might be that you probably got more rear seat legroom in you 500 than you'll have in a 250!

1 hour ago, is250darren said:

I would also check when the water pump was last replaced.

We have had two IS250s. One with 56000 miles and the other with 110000 miles. The water pump was never an issue on either. Must be luck of the draw 🤷🏾‍♂️

And not the end of the world if the pump does need changing actually! Part ( genuine supplier about £140) is readily available and quite doable ( is that actually a word?) by the home mechanic. They do tend to weep first and then get noisy before catastrophic failure.

paul m