Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road noise issues.

PGL

I raised the matter of noise issues on another post, received a number of people viewing (Over 250) but only one person left any comments.

I am attempting to determine whether the noise issue, when vehicles pass on opposite side of road which is especially noticeable when travelling on a road surface which is loud/rough, but barely noticeable on a smooth/quiet surface, relates to the current CT200 model or if this is an issue with my CT. This was not an issue on previous 2014 spec CT200.

Please forum members can you provide any feedback?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

hi my wife has just had a loan ct whilst her lex was in for recall , and we both commented on how NOISY it was for a brand new car (esp lexus ) she is currently using my moddified gs300 se/sport gen 2 ... and the ct sits on the drive ... says everything .i was going to trade her is in for a ct but the only thing i like bout the ct is nearly 60 to gallon .

I have a 2015 ctsport.my previous car was a bmw 325i.in terms of road noise there is a wee bit less in the bmw but not enough to be a problem.i do urban and motorway driving and have been doing the same routes in different cars for about 20 years.as with most drivers the only thing I want is for the roads to have the lumps,bumps and pot holes fixed.

I have a 2011 and don’t find it noisy on any surface.
I’ve recently changed all 4 tyres from the original nasty Goodyear’s to Kumhos so now travels in silence.
Any passing vehicles on the opposite side I don’t hear.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, hondansxr said:

hi my wife has just had a loan ct whilst her lex was in for recall , and we both commented on how NOISY it was for a brand new car (esp lexus ) she is currently using my moddified gs300 se/sport gen 2 ... and the ct sits on the drive ... says everything .i was going to trade her is in for a ct but the only thing i like bout the ct is nearly 60 to gallon .

Are you talking about road noise, from the tyres? Yes this is noticeable on poor/rough surfaces but very quiet on modern smooth tarmac.

My issues are 'noise from passing vehicles'.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:26 PM, GARYLANG said:

I have a 2015 ctsport.my previous car was a bmw 325i.in terms of road noise there is a wee bit less in the bmw but not enough to be a problem.i do urban and motorway driving and have been doing the same routes in different cars for about 20 years.as with most drivers the only thing I want is for the roads to have the lumps,bumps and pot holes fixed.

My previous 2014 CT was different to 2019 model as far as noise entering cabin from passing vehicles.

On 8/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, stormchaser said:

I have a 2011 and don’t find it noisy on any surface.
I’ve recently changed all 4 tyres from the original nasty Goodyear’s to Kumhos so now travels in silence.
Any passing vehicles on the opposite side I don’t hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something must have been altered for the current 2019 model, a huge step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

CT has been into third different dealer, although on this occasion was informed noise heard should not be entering cabin, work to improve does not seemed to have worked.... arrived home with another headache!

Have you considered taking another CT for a test drive and see if you experience the same problem?

Could it be that the window does not sit quite as it should, thus allowing noise in when shut?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DanD said:

Have you considered taking another CT for a test drive and see if you experience the same problem?

Could it be that the window does not sit quite as it should, thus allowing noise in when shut?

I have, and as previously mention had one for five years, which didn't have this issue.

Have you test driven another 2019 CT to see if that has the same problem your experiencing? This will let you know if it’s just your cars sound proofing or if the spec has changed from your previous  2014 CT model. 

The CT200 is quite a little car, it doesnt have a lot of bulk to it. Also, it is designed for economy and so part of it entails being light weight. Whilst sound proofing can be designed in to a vehicle by not adopting shapes which tend to magnify sounds and incorporating shape which dampen sounds, the automotive industry still relies on bulky sound deadening "stuffing" in order to cut out noise, albeit noise from outside the vehicle. To this end, it comes as no surprise that a number of people have issues with noise from the CT and from outside the CT. To a great extent, the designers have relaxed their stance a bit on accoustics since they are starting with a vehicle with a relatively low reving engine ( when it actually runs), no real gearbox, no propshaft and whining rear axle, a great big chunk of bulk  which assists sound deadening ( traction battery), electric air conditioning, electric power steering( no noisey pumps whizzing around under the bonnet) When you think about ti theyve done away with quite a few noise making ancilaries. In order to save weight they have used light weight door assemblies incorporating quite thin glass. It all counts. My view is that if silence  and economywere my objectives, I would wear earplugs in a CT. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 7:27 PM, medwen1 said:

Reading your other posts it sounds like a design issue, Seems like an odd thing to change the window seals. Have you heard anything from other owners?

No feedback from other owners, that is the strange thing. Lexus advise no other complaints received regarding this either.

6 hours ago, Wass said:

To this end, it comes as no surprise that a number of people have issues with noise from the CT and from outside the CT. 

Interested in where you read about noise from outside the CT? 

I moved to a MY17 from an IS200. The only noise I experience in the CT  is from the tyres on certain road surfaces and the infotainment system mouse that rattles. Otherwise the car is quite. Have to add it is a great car, excellant mpg and comfortable to drive.

18 hours ago, Charlie Alder said:

I moved to a MY17 from an IS200. The only noise I experience in the CT  is from the tyres on certain road surfaces and the infotainment system mouse that rattles. Otherwise the car is quite. Have to add it is a great car, excellant mpg and comfortable to drive.

I would totally agree, if I could get this noise issue sorted!

My previous CT was as you describe, although one of the things I really enjoyed was 5 rattle free years!

The suspension and steering are much improved on current CT but....

I am unable to comment further.

But...

If anyone, other than myself, experiences these issues I would still appreciate their comments, otherwise if no one else has these issues that will also be useful information.

Thanks for all comments so far.

You will have to search for it. There was someone banging on about in car entertainment and bemoaning the fact that they couldnt drown out all the external noise.

• 1 year later...

My new Lexus CT 200H purchased September 2020 is much noisier than I thought it would be.  Also, on the M1 recently, it emitted a booming noise which kept up for a couple of minutes.  I don't think I want to keep it if it is going to be such a noisy drive.  Am I entitled to take it back within 30 days of collection?  I phoned the Lexus Service department who admitted that it was a noisy car, and that this is only a problem with this model - not with any other models.  I wish I'd know this at the start.

Does the CT have run flat type tyres from new? They always give bad road noise due to stiffer side walls. Changing to different tyres can make a huge difference on road noise within the car. Obviously this has nothing to do with original post of passing traffic noise. The newer CT must have less sound deadening than previously, this is all it can be really. Sound proofing/deadening affects the harmonics of the car.