Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alarm woes.....aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!

When I bought my car I was advised to use the ‘spare’ key as the main master key with the central locking and boot release doesn’t work correctly. Using the ‘master key’ to unlock but without the blooper works fine as a manual lock. 

I left my car locked but my wife went to it and used the ‘blipper’ to try and unlock it, eventually using the key manually and locking it I think with the ‘blipper’.

Now whenever I try and unlock it the alarm goes off. I don’t have the ‘spare’ key with me as we’re away. I just can’t work out the order to get it to go off. I can seem to make the alarm stop by locking manually and then ‘blipping’ but I can’t be in without the alarm going off!! Even starting the engine doesn’t make it go off..

The battery’s been checked in the key, it did this at the garage a while ago. Does anyone have any ideas? 

Ben

So:

1. Wife locked car using key fob lock button.

2. Now when you unlock using the physical key the alarm goes off.

If so, that is correct behaviour. The alarm is set by using the key fob lock button and deactivated using the unlock button. You need to press the unlock button on the key fob.

I never use the fob to lock the car, only unlock it, as I don't want to set the alarm. Old alarms are bad news, even Toyota OEM. The immobiliser is enough security IMO.

Starting the engine won't make it stop as the engine immobiliser function is separate from the alarm and is deactivated by the RFID chip in the key.

• Like 1

Many thanks, I think as it’s going off I’m pressing everything in my panic as I’m in a very quiet village b&b! I’ll approach it with a more measured approach tomorrow morning. So I should unlock with the blipper, then manually unlock and it should be ok... 

de--activating / reducing / eliminating the alarm sound ................. procedure is quite well documented now for the Mk3 Ls400

your's is a Mk4 ?  might be the same, I don't know

Malc

Managed to get in, annoyingly it was my wife who somehow managed it in one go, though I had tried opening the passenger door for the first time prior her trying.  I was losing my mind as nothing was seeming to work. Lesson learnt, leave that key at home and never touch the blipper. Now on hols and fingers crossed all is well...

• 4 years later...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem, and although I can't remember exactly what happened I think it was because I was locking with the remote but unlocking with the key, or vice versa.  Then the remote wouldn't work, and the alarm went off.  I disconnected the Battery, waited five minutes and reconnected, and everything re-set correctly.  Now I make sure I use the remote all the time, though the unlock button doesn't work as easily as it should.

• Like 1