Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1998 LS400 New Owner - Couple of Questions Please

Afternoon all in Lexus Land....

I have just bought a 1998 LS400, just 70k miles and last owners for 14 years.

It needs minor tlc but potential to be pretty immaculate after a bit of effort.

Whilst at it I was thinking I might lower the suspension, only an inch or so (similar to OEM LHP option) and add some 18” oem wheels. Either LS430 5 spoke or later GS 5 spoke.

From what I can tell both should fit in terms of stud pattern and centre bore but the latter are 8JJ wide, rather than 7JJ standard or 7.5JJ for LS430 option, although all have 45 offset from what I can tell.

It seems the optional LHP 17” OEM wheels were 8J wide with 40 offset so although I doubt 5mm will make much difference I would appreciate benefit of others experience, plus suggestions on suspension lowering too please.

Presumably the 40 offset makes those wheels give car a slightly wider stance, or maybe it’s the other way round?

Whilst here could someone also please tell me the difference between J and JJ for wheels, I have a feeling it might be to do with shape/steepness of taper for wheel nut seats but not sure if I made that up in my mind.....

Many thanks in advance.

Phil

GS430 five spokes won't clear the big brakes. I've got them on my Soarer and checked against my UCF21.

Best bet is the 18s from the 430. Look very smart on the 400.

Don't move too far beyond stock offset. Handling and ride quality will be affected.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Bit surprised the 18” GS 5 Spokes may not fit as exactly the same size and offset as the LS430 5 spoke?

These ones -

BE50A105-1A2A-46BA-84B6-70EA3A0E09C0.png

I have a 1998 LS with  when new delivered LEXUS 17" inch rims 8 inch wide for 235/50/17 tires .  Those have ET 40 mm.

Also form my winter tires I use a 7,5 " wide ET40 mm rim to clear the calipers.  works well.  It is often a challenge to clear the calipers which are huge in the front. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links