Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Probably the longest review so far...

spacenase

• 1 month later...

7 hours ago, route66 said:

He said it has a "belt-driven CVT"

I stopped watching it there.

Why would you stop watching because of that? This is the belt he's on about:

The belt in the youtube video looks as though it's from a conventional cvt (like the Mercedes B class?). The speaker points to the two pulleys that are linked by the belt.

The Toyota/Lexus e-cvt doesn't have any belts like this, just cog-wheels that are permanently engaged. Having said that, I can't find which version of the transmission is fitted to the ES. The IS 300h and GS 300h have the L210 transmission. (Here's a list of transmissions on Lexus cars.)  The L210 is a modified version of a Prius transmission, from memory possibly the P410. The difference between them is that the P410 is for front-wheel drive and the L210 is modified for rear-wheel drive. But they have no belts, rubber, steel or otherwise.

The ES has a front-wheel drive version of the transmission - (is it the P610? I can't find any reference to it). I think, again from memory, that it uses faster spinning electric motors that remove the need for any extra reduction gear, making the unit smaller, and thus able to fit in to the front wheel drive configuration. But the absence of the reduction gear brings the lower top speed - 112 mph instead of 125 mph with the L210. The electric motors would be damaged if they spun any faster.

But I'd be surprised if the ES transmission has any belts, rubber or steel.

Maybe someone who has an ES300h could look on the car's VIN plate. The transmission version number will be on there, probably beginning with the letter L or P.

• Like 2

Perhaps the best in-depth car review I have seen and the best I am ever likely to see for the Camry!

I would certainly shop at Tesco rather than Waitrose as I continue to recognise value for money and I don`t mean cheaper !!

The drivers` of Audi, BMW and Mercedes cars will take aeons  to appreciate the qualities that Lexus has to offer.

Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy what for me are the unsurpassed qualities of my GS450h.

• Like 2

You can't fault the professional narrative and the speed at which he delivers the info.  Edited in sections of narrative he talks without stalling and without ums and er's.    Try and memorise one minute of the tech info.  He's been at it for years for sure.  At an hour you have to stick with it but there was nothing left out.   The same style of presentation has been applied to the dozens of similar videos for other makes this company make.   I thought if anyone was considering an ES this would influence you.

I could watch reviews like that all day long. Like the Car And Driving reviews, proper William Woollard levels of car nerdiness. Not interested in how fast it is on a track or whether you could fly it off a ski ramp.

• Like 1

I agree Richard   Who wants a 2019 Top Gear type review of anything.  Childish and school boy antics will never  compare to the Brilliant car designers and Engineers who actually produce something.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 11:37 PM, spacenase said:

Not sure there’s much that’s new in this one.

I actually have a video on a Lexus ES300h Takumi from Lexus Scotland if anyone wants to check it out?

• Like 1