Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello.

Went to see a 2005 GS300 SE yesterday and liked it but I have a few questions. I've searched the forum but can't quite find the answers I'm looking for.

1. Is there an issue with the early engines and carbon deposits? I've seen a couple of comments about the direct injection causing carbon buildup.
  2. Has anyone had any success upgrading the suspension? It was a bit barge-like on a roundabout and wondered if uprated anti-roll bars, a strut brace or coilovers would fix it.
  3. The sat nav maps looked like they were hand-drawn in the 90s - and it wasn't easy to actually see in daylight. Is that right or was there something wrong with the screen? If the former, is there a way of updating the software for something more modern?
  4. I saw a CD player and tape deck (?!) but is there a way to use SD cards or similar?

Having owned a 2005 GS300 I found the screen to be very bright so there may be a problem there.  The nav system is well outdated and although you can get a later disc it still won't accept postcodes and is no substitute for a Tomtom or similar.  They music system still took tapes until around 2012!  I found the suspension ok but slightly hard.  There are reports of carbon build-up but nothing an occasional Italian tune-up wouldn't take care of.  Mine ran beautifully but was only on 72k. Dashboard creaks and rattles are one of the biggest complaints but they can be sorted with some simple DIY.   I drove mine across Europe last year for 2.5k miles and it was brilliant.  I only parted with it because the LS gets deep under your skin and the GS just didn't fill the void!

54 minutes ago, cobraBLACK said:

Thanks for the info.

What about media playback? I saw on the some of them them they have a Tune/File knob on the left and wondered if that referenced MP3 files.

I don't remember that on mine but the previous owner had installed a GROM enabling music from another device. Another thing with the GS300 compared to the GS430 or GS450h, the suspension units are much cheaper to buy if needed.  The exhaust can also rust badly so that would be another thing to check.  Still a great looking car in my opinion, as good looking as anything made today.

I have had my gs300 (55 plate) for 5 yrs. now done 112000 miles 50000 by me.

I have used many different satnavs over time but i do quite like the lexus approach (apart from bl****** post codes). i have updated mine and  apart from some newer roads very little difference. It navigated through france with no problems at all. no problem with visibility of screen  i think you can change brightness

i originally had lexus warranty and extended it had most of shocks replaced with oem parts. as already mentioned the dash creaks i am learning to live with it.

the lack of mp3 is mildly irritating but a tape drive... wow i can use many old tapes in it. the children think i am mad  and old. but it does provide a part solution to mp3s with a 3.5m jack to tape adapter so can play from phone but controlled from phone. not ideal but cheap.

Everynow and then i think i want a new car but it is actually a joy to drive

David

• Like 1

I've just sold my Audi S4 V8 from 2004 which I had for nearly 10 years so I'm used to 2 x 32 GB SD cards and a resonable sat nav (could only input partial Post Codes becuase German ones are only 5 digits!). I got rid of most of my CDs and all cassettes a while back since we're well into the 21st century and everything.

Has anyone tried one of those Android units on eBay from China? Not something I'd usually consider but needs must.

• 2 weeks later...

So I did it. I bought a black 2007 300 SE with newer map graphics, Mark Levinson, etc. (Pictures to come.)

The TPMS system warning is on. The manual says there's a reset button below the steering column but there isn't. Did it move in 2007 or has it gone forever?

Also, how do you get it to stop going back to the map screen after reversing?

I've got Techstream from eBay but I'm waiting to install it in a new laptop I don't own yet.

5 minutes ago, Mike Hartland said:

Oh the button is there, it is just hard to find. You might need to get on your hands and knees with a mirror to find it.

Oh, okay. Is it below the trim then? The diagram showed it easily visible on the trim.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links