Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 clutch judder (another one)

Robsan

Hi

I've had my '08 is250 for a while now and as a first time lexus owner I absolutely love it. 

I've noticed in the last few weeks I get a slight clutch judder when pulling away from a stopped position. I've looked into this online and found alot of people finding their flywheels at fault. 

I can only find old information and old posts on this and wondered if anyone has found a more up to date cost effective way to fix this problem? 

My car is 130k miles and I don't think I could stomach spend £2k on a 11 year old car. 

What would you guys do? 

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a simple way to diagnose this issue.

The most likely culprit is the flywheel, and as I am sure you are aware, the only way to confirm is to remove it.

My 220d had a judder which turned out to be engine mounts, but the technician that discovered the fault was very surprised.  In fact, at that point they had already changed the flywheel because it was assumed to be the source of the problem.

Sorry, but it is not looking very promising I am afraid.

The replacement was an OEM flywheel.  It was actually done under warranty, so the part was supplied by the dealer.  I also purchased a new clutch to be fitted at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

before spending 2k have mounts checked as i had flywheel/clutch changed and it did nothing to stop juddering or grinding noises.

lexus dealer was 1.6k and indepedant garage quoted 1.4k for the work

Now, if you’re planning on going through with it buy a 3rd party warrantee. I saved myself the labor and flywheel cost just had to pay for clutch as its consumable.

think I used wms group. The way in which the flywheels fault isn't visible from the outside and mine had a few heat spots (something like that cant remember what tech said exactly.) so when an independent inspector arranged by the warranty company goes to dealer to check the fly it looks as if it is a manufacturer fault instead of wear and tear. 

I’m not sure if I am lucky as i only had 70k miles so they might not cover with that high milage. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links