Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Only if you purchase the extended warranty before it's 10 years old.

I bought a 2008 at the start of the year (with warranty for until Feb 2020). Spoke to Lexus to see if I could buy another 2 years and they said no - their system wouldn't accept it as the car is past that 10 year mark.

@nickisokay is correct in that it has to be purchased before 10 years old. Not sure the service history has to be exclusively done by Lexus so as long its full and complete or in fact if Lexus conduct an inspection to verify the condition.

However there is a trick which worked for me. My ISF was over 9 years old when purchased and had a warranty in place taking it to nearly 11 years old. It was transferred to me by the previous owner. Happy Days.  I then purchased a further 2 years from Lexus (it still being under 10 years old) which starts when the existing runs out taking it to nearly 13 years old. Well worth the extra £795 for my piece of mind and that of a new owner if I sell before its 13 years old.

14 minutes ago, gb1600e said:

@nickisokay is correct in that it has to be purchased before 10 years old. Not sure the service history has to be exclusively done by Lexus so as long its full and complete or in fact if Lexus conduct an inspection to verify the condition.

However there is a trick which worked for me. My ISF was over 9 years old when purchased and had a warranty in place taking it to nearly 11 years old. It was transferred to me by the previous owner. Happy Days.  I then purchased a further 2 years from Lexus (it still being under 10 years old) which starts when the existing runs out taking it to nearly 13 years old. Well worth the extra £795 for my piece of mind and that of a new owner if I sell before its 13 years old.

That's a good trick, I wish I would have thought about that!

I am now sticking to one of those third party warranties that probably won't pay up.

Would you not be confident enough not to bother with a warranty and just put some money away for a rainy day?

Everyone on here says how reliable they are and although stuff can of course go wrong, I wonder what the average per-year spend on repair work for an ISF is with owners on here?

1 minute ago, BUG4LIFE said:

Would you not be confident enough not to bother with a warranty and just put some money away for a rainy day?

Everyone on here says how reliable they are and although stuff can of course go wrong, I wonder what the average per-year spend on repair work for an ISF is with owners on here?

They are reliable, but when they go wrong they can't cost a huge amount.

When my sat nav went, the repair bill to the warranty company was around £5K. A blown speaker was around £800. A DVD changer issue was around £2K. Brake caliper leak was around £1K.

There is a user here who had a gearbox problem and the repair bill was well over £10K.

If I didn't have warranty I would have probably had to live with some of these faults, or find used parts etc. Putting aside an equivalent amount of money wouldn't have covered the cost of these faults.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, Charliecloud said:

Am i right in thinking that if a car comes with a warranty, that provided the service history is maintained by Lexus then it can be extended beyond the 10yrs of the original reg date of the car?

Eligible vehicle A Lexus vehicle which - (a) has been branded and sold by Our Holding Company, Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA in Europe as a Category M1 Lexus passenger motor vehicle; (b) not have been modified structurally, mechanically or electronically otherwise than with the permission of Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA or save for the purpose of enabling it to be lawfully re-registered in the United Kingdom; (c) have standard Lexus wheels and normal road tyres fitted to it; (d) possess or be capable of possessing a European Certificate of Conformity; (e) was purchased through the Lexus Approved Used Car Programme with the benefit of a Lexus Extended Warranty; or (f) is less than 10 years old and has less than 140,000 miles on its milometer at the start of the first Warranty Notes. 

I think that the content of item (f) above suggests that you are correct Charlie.

5 hours ago, giorgoXXI said:

When my sat nav went, the repair bill to the warranty company was around £5K. A blown speaker was around £800. A DVD changer issue was around £2K. Brake caliper leak was around £1K.

There is a user here who had a gearbox problem and the repair bill was well over £10K.

If I didn't have warranty I would have probably had to live with some of these faults, or find used parts etc. Putting aside an equivalent amount of money wouldn't have covered the cost of these faults.

£800 for a speaker and £2k for a DVD changer...WTF?!?

18 hours ago, giorgoXXI said:

Its crazy when you see such a list of repairs, nothing on my IS F for the last 2 years except for a set of rear tyres, 11k miles in 2 years daily driver. Is it just chance if a component is on its way out? I went for the Lexus over M3, RS4, AMG combo for this reason alone...much debated over the years on this forum I am sure. 

18 hours ago, BUG4LIFE said:

Its a fair point @BUG4LIFE and in life I generally don't bother with extended warranties for washing machines, printers and the like, (I was even offered one on a £20 iron) and I put that money in the physiological pot that pays to buy a new one if needed. I think overall Im in profit on that front.

However despite the bullet proof reputation of Lexus I want at least the piece of mind to know my expensive and old second had car is covered for less that £400 per year.  As @giorgoXXI says likely repairs don't come cheap when they are needed.

As for average cost per year: Well I also have a 2 year service plan with Lexus and pay both monthly, interest free, for less than £100 over 18 months for both. I expect to put a new set of tyres on sometime at £750 ? I replaced the pads all round myself with brembo for around £100 (which could cost you upward of £500 at Lexus I guess) and I had an expensive bill for £1300 for new rear brake lines (which the warranty didn't cover). New disks at some point in the near future, again if I buy smart and do it myself a few hundred quid. Over 2 years I'm hoping to be all in for less than £5k.  A better deal for me than a company car and a better car than my work colleague who pays £4.5k a year for an Audi. A nice Audi but is no ISF.  

I live in hope the warranty covers some, but maybe not all, the costs of running a circa 10 year old car.  Fingers crossed. 

Had a failed washer bottle sensor in my IS 300h last year - just over £420 to replace it - I have the Lexus extended warranty which covered it (probably wouldn't have replaced it without the extended warranty though).

22 hours ago, BUG4LIFE said:

£800 for a speaker and £2k for a DVD changer...WTF?!?

Yes some of the parts cost a lot of money, and here in London labour rate is £150/h which adds up quickly.

8 hours ago, V1J4Y (VJ) said:

Its crazy when you see such a list of repairs, nothing on my IS F for the last 2 years except for a set of rear tyres, 11k miles in 2 years daily driver. Is it just chance if a component is on its way out? I went for the Lexus over M3, RS4, AMG combo for this reason alone...much debated over the years on this forum I am sure. 

That list of repairs is over 8 years, so its not too bad. The water pump is a known design failure and is replaced almost in every IS. The sat nav screen failing is also extremely common. Blown speaker, well I sometimes like my music loud :-). 

The only real issue I've had is the brake caliper leak which caused an MOT failure. But these kind of failures are now expected for what will soon be a 12 year old car!

If you have a 2010 model presumably a lot of these parts may have been revised and are more reliable.

The IS-F is definitely a lot more reliable than the cars you mentioned, I would be surprised to ever see a check engine light!

My IS-F is just coming up to its 9th birthday and the warranty was up for renewal. Had a chat with my local dealership (Tunbridge Wells) and as there's nothing on the horizon to replace the F, I wanted to continue its warranty for as long as possible.

To my surprise, I was allowed to purchase 2 lots of warranty at once, covering me for a total of 4 years!

I don't know any other manufacturer that would cover a car for 13 years, let alone one with a 400+hp V8. All for less than £400 a year, whilst including MOT fee's and breakdown cover. For me at least, it's a no brainer for the peace of mind.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wellsey said:

My IS-F is just coming up to its 9th birthday and the warranty was up for renewal. Had a chat with my local dealership (Tunbridge Wells) and as there's nothing on the horizon to replace the F, I wanted to continue its warranty for as long as possible.

To my surprise, I was allowed to purchase 2 lots of warranty at once, covering me for a total of 4 years!

I don't know any other manufacturer that would cover a car for 13 years, let alone one with a 400+hp V8. All for less than £400 a year, whilst including MOT fee's and breakdown cover. For me at least, it's a no brainer for the peace of mind.

Correct.See my Post above.

Hmm I am already covered untill its 12th birthday, but since I have now paid that warranty off and its not 10 for a few months I wonder if I could add another 2 years to that taking it to 14 years?!

1 hour ago, C.B said:

Hmm I am already covered untill its 12th birthday, but since I have now paid that warranty off and its not 10 for a few months I wonder if I could add another 2 years to that taking it to 14 years?!

Absolutely got to be worth a phone call hasn't it. But here's another question Would it expire when the car reaches 140000 miles?  They might just take your £795 anyway ?

I have just hit 40k and do about 6-8k annually so wouldnt be an issue, but I think the 140k is the same as the 10 year cirteria i.e. it must be under that value at the point of taking it out.

I will give Hedge End a call in the week, defo worth a call even if I dont keep the car must help to sell it??

Spoke to Hedge End and they confirmed I could extend the warranty pretty much as along as I want before the car hits 10 years.