Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How does the Celsius rate in the minds of UK buyers relative to an LS?

Hi there, I am a "Newbie" who has loved LS 400/430s for years now. I have been offered an imported from Japan Toyota Celsius with very low kilometres, but am worried that when or if I wanted to sell it on, would the British public reject it as an "unknown" brand. It is superb in every respects but I am a bit wary of the badging in British eyes. The car was offered as an LS430/Celsius. What is your considered opinions on this or am I being a bit silly? patricko   

Well for us over here in Northern Ireland the imports were a massive success in the early to mid 90's and you would not have been able to move for fleets of taxi's mostly all white automatic diesel's in poverty spec (no electric anything but cloth seats central locking and AirCon) with simple radios that had the Japanese frequency's on them that in some cases allowed you to listen in to other taxi firms as they used PMR radios that could be picked up on them - then the insurance company's caught on and despite proof from many 3rd party garages they increased the premiums on them saying they "could not get parts" and that ended that. So for that reason I see very few imports here now but I assume going by the threads on here they are still very popular and certainly not an unknown brand  

Having had 5 previous LS's and now a Celsior I can honestly say I wouldn't have anything else.  Apart from the amazing condition (including the underside) I love having some quirky features that the UK version wouldn't have.  I also really like how it's a good conversation starter as many people know nothing of such a "Toyota"

There's a very nice low mile Celsior available in Japan I've noticed but with the currency exchange rate as it is, it seems just too expensive to import. One other looker from what I read - you perhaps?

Looked at the Crown Majesta, year 2004/5 but that Car has a problem with its interior.  Poor quality Consoles / Glove box in those Cars have been cracking with the heat, not to mention wood (??) trim on one peeling back like a open Sardine tin.  Same engine as the Lexus LS430 and I personally prefer the shape to the Celsior / LS430 but for the quality of the internals  - its a no-no.

Must stop looking at these auction sites. Just had the Power Steering pipes replaced with 10mm copper pipe I soldered which was the only worry I had on this '93 car.  Guess its the six year itch? 

ps A lovely Crown Majesta year 2000 in smoke silver (my favourite colour after a 500SEL I owned)  but at $3,400 and the rest to import - another non starter

Patricko hi, I think ( for what it's worth ) that the Celsior brand would usually only be aware to Ls afficionados and those studying to purchase one too ......  likely a to be cheaper alternative to the same mileage/age Ls and probably better value .......  provided you realise your future on-sale marketplace is someone like you again 

I guess any worries of nuclear fall-out or flooding contamination is past and one can safely purchase a Jap import ok

Good luck with it all whatever you decide upon

Malc

On 7/8/2019 at 6:50 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

I took one of these for a long test drive. Air suspension, speedo heads-up display, a very nice car. However, it didn't ride like a Celsior/LS400 because, well, it's not. Shorter and narrower wheelbase so less comfy and less interior room. I would have bought it but for the fact I knew how an LS400 rode...

Interesting.

Reading the dimensions of the three, the Crown has 12.97 Cu Metres, the LS430 (Celsior) 13.61 and the LS400 12.74.

Height wise for a taller person the Crown fares better than the LS400 by 7cm.  The Celsior higher by 9cm.

The Celsior and LS400 are longer by 9cm and 10cm respectively.

Photographs can be deceptive.

• Like 1