Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Passed MOT, No Advisories But......

The IS has just passed this years MOT session with flying colours after a mahoosive 1400 miles in the past 12 months!

But one thing he did comment on was the major corrosion to the alloy wheel lacquer on the inside surface of the wheels, he did say it was coming away in handfuls and if I didn't suffer from slow punctures at some point in the future then he'll be surprised and the stick on wheel balancing weights may come adrift at any time!

So went straight after to a recommended wheel re-furb place not far away and had a chat. If leaving the car on site to be done then fully booked til the 15th at least or I could present wheels/tyres tomorrow for 3 day turnaround. Toyed with going with a grey colour as opposed to the OEM silver to try and mask brake pad dust but will prob stick with the silver finish. To re-furb 4 X standard alloys with silver paint ( and any minor corrections) is gonna make me £300 lighter!, £75 a corner to be back to factory conditions, why do I think that is a lot of money? Or is it not? Answers below please...

paul m.

It depends - probably a bit steep for paint, or was he talking powder coat?

I was faced with the decision late last year. I went for new aftermarket wheels - about £1200 with Continental PremiumContact 6 tyres (17").

But if you get the wheels refurbed get them powder coated. I had mine painted (with paint) about 5 years ago and regretted it!

They just blistered again within 18 months
But I bought some well shot alloy wheels for my MX-5 about 3 years ago. I had them powder coated and they still look like the day they came back from refurb (but it doesn't get used in the winter)

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

I had mine powder coated and they are still as good as new after a couple of years or so.  It costs similar to what you were quoted.

The only issue I have experienced is that if/when you curb them, the paint layer comes off in big chunks as opposed to the grazing that regular finishes suffer.

Having said that, I would always recommend powder coating.  I had my GS wheels done about 10 months ago and they still sparkle.

4 hours ago, Texas said:

The IS has just passed this years MOT session with flying colours after a mahoosive 1400 miles in the past 12 months!

But one thing he did comment on was the major corrosion to the alloy wheel lacquer on the inside surface of the wheels, he did say it was coming away in handfuls and if I didn't suffer from slow punctures at some point in the future then he'll be surprised and the stick on wheel balancing weights may come adrift at any time!

So went straight after to a recommended wheel re-furb place not far away and had a chat. If leaving the car on site to be done then fully booked til the 15th at least or I could present wheels/tyres tomorrow for 3 day turnaround. Toyed with going with a grey colour as opposed to the OEM silver to try and mask brake pad dust but will prob stick with the silver finish. To re-furb 4 X standard alloys with silver paint ( and any minor corrections) is gonna make me £300 lighter!, £75 a corner to be back to factory conditions, why do I think that is a lot of money? Or is it not? Answers below please...

paul m.

You are not to far from Kidderminster, and A company there will do all four wheels for £120 if you take them in . This includes acid dip, and full powder coating. See my post "Wheel refurb" in the GS section for details.

John.

I would say that is pretty reasonable. The dealership have charged us £85 per wheel in the past and the quality has varied greatly. Our 2011 IS arrived with water marks between the lacquer. Lexus Bristol had them all refurbished to a similar colour as the F Sport wheels and after 7.5 years they were still in excellent condition. However, they were washed religiously every week and covered many coats of Poorboys wheel sealant. On the other end of the scale, our 2007 IS  Wheels have been refurbished multiple times by Bristol and they always begin to flake again within a year despite being cared for in  a similar fashion.  

I guess it just depends on who they have in to carry out the work at the time, but I also wonder if the 2007 wheels are made out of a lesser alloy 🤷🏾‍♂️

9 hours ago, F.A. said:

I would say that is pretty reasonable. The dealership have charged us £85 per wheel in the past and the quality has varied greatly. Our 2011 IS arrived with water marks between the lacquer. Lexus Bristol had them all refurbished to a similar colour as the F Sport wheels and after 7.5 years they were still in excellent condition. However, they were washed religiously every week and covered many coats of Poorboys wheel sealant. On the other end of the scale, our 2007 IS  Wheels have been refurbished multiple times by Bristol and they always begin to flake again within a year despite being cared for in  a similar fashion.  

I guess it just depends on who they have in to carry out the work at the time, but I also wonder if the 2007 wheels are made out of a lesser alloy 🤷🏾‍♂️

Sounds about right really. Lexus changed the alloy of the wheels between 2009 and 2011. Hence why none of the standard alloys of the 3rd gen RXs and later don't suffer from this issue unless seriously neglected.

Basically Id be confident in saying any Lexus after 2012 with standard alloys, not diamond cut is fairly resistant to corrosion. Ive had a few since 2012 and they are immaculate, even with kerb marks