Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bonnet Popped up

4 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Just a thought- will a car that has such an important safety item disabled pass an MOT?

i would of thought that as long as there are no dashboard lights on then it will pass.

the mot inspector wont have the time to check that all components are present & wired up.

Whether it can be done or not, still think it's a bit dodgy to remove a safety system intended for pedestrians for the sake of an insurance claim

• Like 7

Agreed. And I'd also agree with Les and Daniel that an insurer would probably drop you like a stone if you were ever in a bump. If they can cancel your insurance because you don't tell them about a remap I'm pretty sure they would in this case too.

Problem is around here as I mentioned in the repair thread, it's not uncommon to clip the odd bit of wildlife. 

Great, just like mine looks..

But just imagine how yours looks after you've hit that pedestrian ...

Then imagine how the relatives will look at you, never mind how your insurer will look at your case...

But then you're potentially saving £xxxx , yeh!!  :thumbup:

• Like 3

IT is what it is! How often do we hit pedestrians? And if we do who's to say the stupid pop up would be enough to save them!

nowhere is it stated a legal requirement. Just like auto brake functions they are optional.

39 minutes ago, Shada said:

IT is what it is! How often do we hit pedestrians? And if we do who's to say the stupid pop up would be enough to save them!

nowhere is it stated a legal requirement. Just like auto brake functions they are optional.

Same thing could be said of animals. How often do we hit those? 

Unfortunately, could be argued that it is a legal requirement, since if there is a frontal collision involving a pedestrian, it's almost certain you'd be "uninsured" 

• Like 1

It's Not a legal requirement thow. 

The wildlife around where we drive at night is the main issue, it's a bad design when rabbits foxes badgers and birds can cause big problems. 

Wow. Really.

To be consistent, I strongly suggest that you disconnect all the airbags in your car. They cost a bomb to replace and create a real mess when they go off. After all, your chances of having an accident are about the same as hitting a pedestrian, so why should you need costly airbags to protect yourself and your family just because you *might* have an accident.

Actually, while you're at it, you should probably also cancel your insurance. What is the point of paying for something you may never, ever need.

• Haha 3

It's easy to take the moral high ground here, but virtue signalling what a responsible person you are doesn't alter the fact that the high cost to benefit ratio could be solved another way. Also he's saying it's triggered by hitting small animals in the road, air bags are not (unless it's a big old deer rather than an old dear). Plus air bags/insurance are a cost one pays to protect oneself. Hood poppers - selfish as it may sound - protect other people that may throw themselves in front of your car when you're doing nothing wrong. Well maybe pedestrians should be made to wear a helmet when crossing the road like F1 pit crew. A bit of self responsibility eh? Would you wear a helmet as a pedestrian when out and about to protect yourself? Of course not, and why not? Because the risk doesn't outweigh the inconvenience. 

We could by your logic Dan and say ban cars, ban anything that may cause harm to anything in any way - just as silly. Perhaps make sure you never drive an old car with pop up headlights? In fact your next purchase should almost certainly be a hood popping pedal car made of driftwood and bubble wrap. Safe as anything and kind to Asthma sufferers. 

There has to be some risk accepted without moralising over other people's decisions. In the end, look after yourself, drive defensively and keep eyes peeled. 

Personally I would not disable it due to the legal ramifications. I'm not even aware if RCF has hood poppers. 

As I said by linking to the case of the cyclist and the moronic lady phone user (earlier post) - the person you hit - their health will be of less concern when you're in court getting sued by them even when not your fault. Hood poppers or not.

Anyone can take a shot if they like. It's my car and I don't want pop ups. I'm not legally required to have them therefore I don't have them. 

Theres one thread on here a guy said they went off going along the road and he nearly wrote off the car with the scare of the bang and the bonnet in his view. 

Traction control can be turned off and that is a legal requirement. 

You can remove tyre pressure monitors pre 2014 and they are classed as a safety device. 

You can legally remove abs until a certain age. 

Why should I keep something that's not legally required and unwanted. 

7 hours ago, Shada said:

Traction control can be turned off and that is a legal requirement

The simple fact that one can turn it off, via a dash mounted button, would suggest it's not a legal requirement? 

It is not a question of taking the moral high ground.

In a perfect world, pedestrians would behave perfectly, use zebra crossings, would never get drunk and act irresponsibly or take medication that may impair their reflexes. Children would have the same level of awareness as adults and the same concept of danger. Elderly people would have excellent eyesight, and would not suffer from debilitating illnesses that may cause them to act irrationally.

At the same time, drivers would never drive when tired, would not allow themselves to get distracted, and the weather would always ensure perfect driving conditions. No blinding sun, fog, rain...

Unfortunately, we're not in a perfect world, and that's why safety features are there to protect us and others.

It is the fitment of traction control to new cars that is mandatory. Not its use. Maybe it is the same with pop up hoods.

Shada. I accept my comments may have been a bit harsh and I apologise. It's not for me to judge.

I spent 3 months in hospital when a teenager because someone who was driving a car with very bold tyres and aquaplaned in heavy rain, lost control of his car and hit me (and my parents) head on. All because he did not want to spend money on tyres because he was saving to go on holiday.

Safety features are there for multiple reasons. It's all part of the cost of owning a car.

Rant over.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DanD said:

It is not a question of taking the moral high ground.

In a perfect world, pedestrians would behave perfectly, use zebra crossings, would never get drunk and act irresponsibly or take medication that may impair their reflexes. Children would have the same level of awareness as adults and the same concept of danger. Elderly people would have excellent eyesight, and would not suffer from debilitating illnesses that may cause them to act irrationally.

At the same time, drivers would never drive when tired, would not allow themselves to get distracted, and the weather would always ensure perfect driving conditions. No blinding sun, fog, rain...

Unfortunately, we're not in a perfect world, and that's why safety features are there to protect us and others.

It is the fitment of traction control to new cars that is mandatory. Not its use. Maybe it is the same with pop up hoods.

Shada. I accept my comments may have been a bit harsh and I apologise. It's not for me to judge.

I spent 3 months in hospital when a teenager because someone who was driving a car with very bold tyres and aquaplaned in heavy rain, lost control of his car and hit me (and my parents) head on. All because he did not want to spend money on tyres because he was saving to go on holiday.

Safety features are there for multiple reasons. It's all part of the cost of owning a car.

Rant over.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

No need to apologise  you are entitle to an opinion.

sorry for your troubles with the idiot and the illegal bald tyres.

its not about saving money its a feature I just prefer not to have for reasons already given. If I chose a suv or some other less pedestrian safe car nobody would say a word about that. Disarm a potential hazard on the car I have and everyone is queuing up to shoot me.

if I drove a Range Rover and hit someone they would be a lot worse off.

• 1 month later...

I recently was reversed into in a car park, my IS300h came up with a warming “pop up hood failure”. Albeit I need a new front bumper and radar sensor which is £2.7k in Sonic White, the guys at Lexus said I was lucky because if the pop up hood had activated, the repair would have been around £8k. The gas struts are £1200 each, and the pop up hood is connected to the SRS system. Lucky mine was a no fault claim on the insurance.

0E25A821-4605-44B6-B5DA-9463F456D539.jpeg

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, BigChange said:

Steve, was the bumper not repairable ?  From the photo it just looks like scrapes rather than dents.  £2.7k for a car park bump.!  No wonder the cost of my (accident free) insurance has increased.

The bumper is cracked around the washer jet

The bumper is around £300 new from Lexus. Paint shop would be no more than £300 for paint and fit. Not sure why you would need a new radar sensor, can't see where 2.7k comes from!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shada said:

Not sure why you would need a new radar sensor,

Possibly need a new parking sensor but the central radar sensor (behind the Lexus logo) looks untouched.

Parking sensor is £80 approx