Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre pressure gauge

Andy B

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a reliable and accurate tyre pressure gauge please? I would prefer a digital one but won't rule out a mechanical one. 

Thanks in advance.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:37 PM, NemesisUK said:

I use one of these, quick, easy to read and accurate

71bHeFIfbNL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.co.uk

I'd recommend this too. I had various digital gauges before but I found them much more of a hassle to use. Turning them on, resetting to zero, a bit small and fiddly. By contrast, this is robust, well-made and seems to be pretty accurate.

While you're at it, I'd also recommend this tyre tread gauge. It's much more accurate and easy to read than those pencil type gauges that have barely any movement for each millimetre of wear. Also available at Amazon.

image.thumb.png.7de1b30930c513092fc39fa9e936e20e.png

I got fed up with constantly checking and correcting the tyre pressures due to what I thought were leaky rims so I bought a set of these (see pic). I didn't particularly like the external ones so went for the internal fit type. When I went to my regular tyre place Merittyre, Purley, Berks. It turns out that the rims were fine but the leaking was due to corrosion where the valves seat! Cleaned them out and assembled the included metal valve bodies to the rims with a generous helping of silicone O ring grease, tyres refitted and inflated to 35/38 (with nitrogen I think) and now get a continuous display of tyre pressures, which I haven't had to touch since they were fitted in April. Picture was taken just after arriving home so all the temps are up and pressures are ~4psi  higher due to driving, cold in the morning they're still dead on 35/38. I have another set of these in my 16" winter tyres & wheels too. These are relstively cheap due to not having replaceable batteries but allegedly have a Battery life of ~5 years, they don't transmit when they've been stationary for a while and wake up on moving a few feet.

Andrew

20190718_184214.jpg

Well the RC has the individual tyre pressures display in the dash cluster as standard. I use it to check the pressures at the start of every journey.

The hand held gauge is used to set the correct pressures should the dash show a variance from the recommended ..