Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Foul smell in AC

Any one had issues with foul odour from vents resistant to AC cleaners and cabin filter changes.the dealer had a go at deodoriding but the smell returned after a few weeks

Edited by MAYNAN
Notify me

14 hours ago, MAYNAN said:

Any one had issues with foul odour from vents resistant to AC cleaners and cabin filter changes.the dealer had a go at deodoriding but the smell returned after a few weeks

Make sure that your AC isn’t stuck on recirculate. 

I second DanD - had lots of cars with automatic air con and never any bad smells but I have always leave air con running full time just adjusting the temperature as needed. When the air con isn't running some water accumulates in the system in which the bacteria grow and hence the smell and it's then very difficult to rid the car of it completely. The very small difference running air con all the time makes to mpg (in modern cars as it's regulated by the car as to how much is needed) is very small and well worth it to a) avoid the small of old socks and b) maintain all the O-rings etc. and avoid leaks as they get old and dry out by keeping the oil circulating. If you get the system cleaned and deodorised then leave the AC from there on out and hopefully the smell won't come back again.

• Like 1

Try an aircon bomb to clear it. Make sure it is of the antibacterial type or it will only be masked for a while.

Also, check your pollen filter. They can absolutely stink after a while.

As the others, I leave my aircon on all the time.

• 1 month later...

Recently purchased a 2014 NX300h. After about a week I started to get a horrible mouldy smell through the vent on startup.

My experience is that aircon bombs are a complete waste of money. 

I had the same problem in my Toyota Auris, I purchased the official Toyota "airco" foam 500ml cleaner. It comes with a long plastic pipe and metal nozzle with fine holes.

You can remove the glove box and access the evaporator drain in the passenger foot well (Seems identical design on my Auris, Prius and NX). 

Follow the instructions on the can but basically you disconnect the rubber drain pipe, insert the nozzle right inside the evaporator and empty about half the can into the system. It fills the entire inner workings of the evaporator with expanding foam and kills all the nasty bacteria. 

Fit the drain pipe immediately back and leave for an hour and the foam changes back to liquid and runs out the drain onto the ground under the car.

Satisfying job well done, no more nasty smells. I also fitted a new pollen/cabin filter to also prevent re-occurrence. 

@MAYNAN Hi!

The product @Lexus_Steve is talking about is the Lexus Air Conditioning System Cleaner which you can purchase from us at Lexus Parts Direct. This is an excellent product which kills bacteria that builds up throughout the air conditioning pipes which cause a foul smell.

• Stops unpleasant odour effectively
  • Injected into the system (not just released and circulated)
  • Removes germs, bacteria and fungus (linked to respiratory issues)
  • Preventive effect inhibiting bacteria and micro-organism growth
  • Easy to use at home

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ux/lexus-ux-2018-present/lexus-ux-cooling-heating/lexus-air-conditioning-system-cleaner/

Many customers also use the Lexus Fuel Treatment at the same time to ensure that their car is in tip top condition!

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ux/lexus-ux-2018-present/lexus-ux-engine-service-kits/lexus-petrol-fuel-system-cleaner/

I hope that helps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1