Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bird Poo Etching

The bonnet of my GSF was Ā bombed today by some seagullsĀ and despite Ā me removing their excrement within 20 minutes, it has left a significant amount of damage to my bonnet, which was otherwise in perfect conditionĀ šŸ˜”. The car has a ceramic coating on which was placed by the dealer which apparently has a ā€˜life time guaranteeā€™ against bird poo damage but I am very disappointed that the paint has been damaged so easily. Our previous IS250 and RX450 have been hit by seagullsĀ on multiple occasions with out any damage. I guess Artic Pearl is more forgiving than Sonic Titanium. I will see what the ā€˜guaranteeā€™ will offer. šŸ¤žšŸ¾

I had the same on my boot lid on the ceramic coated Sonic Red RC. Took it to the dealership and they arrange for the boot lid to be polished and recoated.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Meguiars.... Compound then polish, then a decent carnauba wax. Sorted.Ā 

Get lots of this as we live and park next to lots of trees.Ā 

Plenty of carnauba wax, never any issues, the poop just comes straight off with water.Ā 

Current faves are, Collinite Marque d'elegance as the main barrier and Dodo Juice light fantastic (at its best on silver and white) for the shine. Never any bird poo issues at all despite plenty of perpetrators šŸ¦…šŸ¦…

The more I read about ceramic coating the less bothered I am about it.Ā 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris.S said:

I've heard by using a heat gun removes the etching

I too have heard about this from the car detailing forums. I was very skeptical and if Iā€™m being honest, I donā€™t think I would risk damaging the paint using a heat gun or even a hair dryer. However the car has been stood in the sun over the weekend and the etch markings have been dramatically reduced. I first noticed this yesterday evening and there has been another improvement today. You can only see the damage when looking horizontally across the bonnet from the passenger side. The company who the body care guarantee is withĀ Ā do not open until tomorrow morning so I havenā€™t contacted them yet. The problem is now that itā€™s so faint, its going to be hard to show them when they turn up. I think I will wait a few more days to see if there is anymore improvement. šŸ¤·šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļø

Thank you to everyone for their comments.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, Comedian said:

I use 3m ultrafina se to remove marks. However I don't have ceramic coating.

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk
Ā 

Personally I prefer prevention rather than cure.

I use a Browning 12 bore and magnum cartridges. Youā€™ll get better results with shot sizes of 5 and lower.

Only joking.................

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

any cartridges will do šŸ˜¬šŸ¤£

Ā 

Our GS has suffered the same fate - two patches of lacquer crazing on the bonnet. The damage occurred before we got the car, and when we noticed it I took it up with the dealer. They suggested that they could repair it (for a price!), and recommended Gen3 Glasscoat to prevent it happening again. That trigged our memory (from the various history documents we have) that the car was already treated with Gen3 Glasscoat - I enquired about claiming against the "warranty" on that, but was told that only applied to the original owner.Ā 

It's clear that that product does not protect against this. I've also generally noticed that the GS paint (Crimson Red) is pretty soft and prone to marking easily.Ā 

Didn't read this earlier but you don't need a heat gun

A hairdryer will work safely, takes a little longer. Its pretty quick on Lexus paint as I believe the self healing clearcoat is activated by heat.Ā 

This is what I did on my son's car. You need to do it within a week otherwise the marks become permanent over time.

0DrfTahh.jpg

SOaThKmh.jpg

Car wasn't even washed, just warm water in a jug used to soften the bird poo, wiped away with QD and then hairdryer. Took less than 5 minutes

I've done this to multiple cars now with no issues. It will not damage the paint as the paint gets no hotter than on a warm sunny day

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flytvr said:

Personally I prefer prevention rather than cure.

I use a Browning 12 bore and magnum cartridges. Youā€™ll get better results with shot sizes of 5 and lower.

Only joking.................

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

any cartridges will do šŸ˜¬šŸ¤£

Ā 

šŸ˜‚

Ā 

15 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Didn't read this earlier but you don't need a heat gun

A hairdryer will work safely, takes a little longer. Its pretty quick on Lexus paint as I believe the self healing clearcoat is activated by heat.Ā 

This is what I did on my son's car. You need to do it within a week otherwise the marks become permanent over time.

0DrfTahh.jpg

SOaThKmh.jpg

Car wasn't even washed, just warm water in a jug used to soften the bird poo, wiped away with QD and then hairdryer. Took less than 5 minutes

I've done this to multiple cars now with no issues. It will not damage the paint as the paint gets no hotter than on a warm sunny day

Oh wow thatā€™s a good result.Ā 

My damage appears to have disappeared, so maybe the recent heat has had the same effect šŸ¤·šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļø.Ā 

I read somewhere about the self healing paint but I wasnā€™t sure if that applied to the GSF, or how effective it would be.Ā 

4 hours ago, i-s said:

Our GS has suffered the same fate - two patches of lacquer crazing on the bonnet. The damage occurred before we got the car, and when we noticed it I took it up with the dealer. They suggested that they could repair it (for a price!), and recommended Gen3 Glasscoat to prevent it happening again. That trigged our memory (from the various history documents we have) that the car was already treated with Gen3 Glasscoat - I enquired about claiming against the "warranty" on that, but was told that only applied to the original owner.Ā 

It's clear that that product does not protect against this. I've also generally noticed that the GS paint (Crimson Red) is pretty soft and prone to marking easily.Ā 

Very frustrating. The original owner thing is just a typical excuse for them to get out of their warranty claimsĀ šŸ˜”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F.A. said:

šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Oh wow thatā€™s a good result.Ā 

My damage appears to have disappeared, so maybe the recent heat has had the same effect šŸ¤·šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļø.Ā 

I read somewhere about the self healing paint but I wasnā€™t sure if that applied to the GSF, or how effective it would be.Ā 

Very frustrating. The original owner thing is just a typical excuse for them to get out of their warranty claimsĀ šŸ˜”.

I think the self healing paint is on every new model Lexus after 2012 or so. It debuted on the GS 4th gen

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links