Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi ,a 1st class job which really is a credit to the way you have looked after the car ,just as a matter of interest have you polished it by hand or with a DA polisher ,I ask because my car is now 8 years old ,I can't get that standard but I am considering purchasing a machine

Thanks Dave

When my sister was staying with me recently she looked at my Lexus on the driveway and asked what kind of polish I use on it.  I had to confess that I haven't polished it once during the nine years I've owned it.  I've always intended to, but somehow it has never happened.:ohmy:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I would say that job was a lot of spit and a lot of polish.  Very nice, and puts mine to shame

It wasn't too bad really, nothing more than just a wash and a quick wax. Although living just half a mile from the seafront we get a fair bit of wind, so being so dry lately it got a layer of dust on it within two hours!

1 hour ago, true blue said:

Hi ,a 1st class job which really is a credit to the way you have looked after the car ,just as a matter of interest have you polished it by hand or with a DA polisher ,I ask because my car is now 8 years old ,I can't get that standard but I am considering purchasing a machine

Thanks Dave

I haven't used the machine polisher on it yet but I do intend to soon. I used it on my previous LS and it really did make a big difference. 

2 hours ago, true blue said:

Thanks for that , I will buy a cheaper one to start with and give it a tentative try .I to live close to the sea but find seagulls a bigger problem than dust

Dave

I bought a cheapish polisher, a GMC, which is a budget machine but I bought it because it was one of the top best buys according to Autoexpress.  It's dual action which is important as you're far less likely to do any damage!  Also great for just applying wax.

I'm quite ocd with my cars and always do a deep clean once a year. This begins first with a snow foam wash and scrub, followed by clay barring, then a polish and then wax. After this my cars are silky smooth to touch and all I get in the rain is beading. The car stays cleaner for longer and is always easier to clean. My LS400 received compliments on its paint work from my from visits to both a Lexus dealer and a body shop. Would recommend all cars owners to do this once to their cars and definitely notice the difference.

1 hour ago, Mo- said:

I'm quite ocd with my cars and always do a deep clean once a year. This begins first with a snow foam wash and scrub, followed by clay barring, then a polish and then wax. After this my cars are silky smooth to touch and all I get in the rain is beading. The car stays cleaner for longer and is always easier to clean. My LS400 received compliments on its paint work from my from visits to both a Lexus dealer and a body shop. Would recommend all cars owners to do this once to their cars and definitely notice the difference.

I must say I've never used a clay bar but I have been meaning to.  How long does it take you to do such a big car?

It doesn't take too long, maybe an hour. It all depends on how the paint work is to start with. When you clay you know your done on a particular panel when it gets really slippery. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2019 at 10:30 PM, The-Acre said:

I must say I've never used a clay bar but I have been meaning to.  How long does it take you to do such a big car?

I was given Clay Mitts   as a present a couple of years ago, have never used them, but going to a wedding in two weeks, so will give the LS a proper deep wash, use hte Mitts and then wax, and hopefully it will look nice and be as smooth as a baby's backside.

• Like 1