Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chemical smell from exhaust - IS220d

Pauline B

I posted on here last year about white smoke coming from the exhaust of my 09 220d and it appeared at the time, it was a when it was doing a regen. However the last couple of months I haven't been doing the long miles I normally do, although about once a week I have done about 40 motorway miles. Last week the engine management light stayed on as did the traction light. The car started to lose power and I took it to a garage before it broke down. They put it on diagnostics machine and it was saying it was the DPF. I had it changed and now when the engine warms up there is much more white smoke when at lower speeds and I have noticed a chemical smell from the exhaust and can feel heat coming from the car generally when I get out. There is also a rumble secondary to the engine noise when in lower gears and now a slight tinkling noise when I turn the steering wheel to the left! I have done about 27,000 miles in it in 16 months. It now has nearly 108000 miles on the clock. I realise there are similar issues mentioned by other members but it is the chemical smell that I am not sure of. I took it back to the garage and he said he couldn't see what was as it was cold when I took it to him. Apart from selling it which I don't want to do as I will lose a couple of grand. what would be the cheapest path to getting this sorted?

Chemical smell may be because you have fitted a new dpf filter. Had similar when had new backbox fitted. Just needs a couple of days to burn off any oils. Takes a few days of hard driving then you won’t notice any smell fingas x.

Best thing to do at the moment is try to make a few journeys on the motorway to get everything up to temp and make the dpf do its job. Hopefully the warning lights should go out after 3 maybe 4 restarts.

my is220d does this, flashing up the eml  trc vsc lights every so often. Learned to live with it as getting rid before mot expires next year.

You can either put up with it or like me get rid because a diesel no good for the mileage you and I do. Love the is but next Lexus for me a petrol or hybrid

Hi thanks for this, I have done 250 motorway miles in since it has been done and it is no better. It does it when the car has warmed up and the smoke coming out in continous for a while and then stop but will do it a few more times until the end of the journey. The warning lights didn't come back on. I usually do about 200+ motorway miles a week but I do think the drop in miles due to illness and tootling along smaller roads has probably caused it! I am going to take it to a different garage today and see if they can come up with something. The whiring sounds when in 2nd and 3rd gears needs sorting too! I am wondering if it is the turbo! Oh what joy! I want my old toyota avensis back! 254000 miles of trouble free motoring until it was written off :(

On 7/19/2019 at 8:41 AM, Pauline B said:

Hi thanks for this, I have done 250 motorway miles in since it has been done and it is no better. It does it when the car has warmed up and the smoke coming out in continous for a while and then stop but will do it a few more times until the end of the journey. The warning lights didn't come back on. I usually do about 200+ motorway miles a week but I do think the drop in miles due to illness and tootling along smaller roads has probably caused it! I am going to take it to a different garage today and see if they can come up with something. The whiring sounds when in 2nd and 3rd gears needs sorting too! I am wondering if it is the turbo! Oh what joy! I want my old toyota avensis back! 254000 miles of trouble free motoring until it was written off 😞

Wasn't it a case in the "good old days" that the smell of eggs coming from the exhaust was an indication that the head gasket was on its way out?

Smells more like solvent than eggs.. I took it to a garage and they think it's the turbo, no loss of water, coolent or creamy white liquid. The whiring and smoking is intermittent though!!